New prs cases made in Costa Rica

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Cases noways should be shaped ABS with retro crap being optional. End of. 
    FWIW Musicman cases are ABS but huge for such compact guitars. Fender vintage style are the worst though.

I mostly agree, but when I got a CS Fender a few years ago, the tweed style case was a nice touch.  As a case it was not as good though.

PRS don't have that kind of heritage so they should just use a decent modern case.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    crunchman said:

PRS don't have that kind of heritage so they should just use a decent modern case.

But they do.

The PRS case is the same as its always been in reality and its more than fit for purpose.

What is wrong with the current case?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Gibson cases are made in Canada, you get a free Bear with every LP Custom  ;)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    sweepy said:
    Gibson cases are made in Canada, you get a free Beer with every LP Custom  ;)
    Did you say free beer? Would that be a bottle of Molson?  :)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Does Der Donald know of this blight on US manufacturing ?
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It's a fucking case. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I might be missing something but I don’t see the issue.     As people on the PRS forum pointed out the original supplier isn’t available anymore and ironically iirc they were from Canada so the new ones made in Costa Rica are more US than before.     I don’t anyone giving a hard time about it other than asking what you don’t like about the new case (apart from it not being as fancy as the more exotic models get). 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16795
    Jack_ said:
    In fairness, for a company like PRS, whose USP seems to be consistent quality, never cutting corners, not making the mistakes that have troubled Gibson and Fender; this seems like a poorly calculated choice.

Even if the Costa Rican cases are just as good, or even better, it still looks like the start of some corner cutting, some attempt to drive profit rather than focus on the customer.

This is in no way unusual for a business, but it's something that PRS always seemed to say we would never do, but now they're big, they're doing it.

That's seems quite silly to me.   If that saving can be passed onto the customer, or help delay the inevitable price increase, with no loss of quality....   Bring it on.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5811
    lonestar said:
    That thread is precisely why it is best to avoid a forum dedicated to one brand. 
    Weirdly, except Gretsch Talk. Where the only nasty thing to ever happen was banning @TheMarlin for making a Trump gag. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Was it a Ball-Gag ?  I'll get my coat  ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    WezV said:
    Jack_ said:
    In fairness, for a company like PRS, whose USP seems to be consistent quality, never cutting corners, not making the mistakes that have troubled Gibson and Fender; this seems like a poorly calculated choice.

Even if the Costa Rican cases are just as good, or even better, it still looks like the start of some corner cutting, some attempt to drive profit rather than focus on the customer.

This is in no way unusual for a business, but it's something that PRS always seemed to say we would never do, but now they're big, they're doing it.

That's seems quite silly to me.   If that saving can be passed onto the customer, or help delay the inevitable price increase, with no loss of quality....   Bring it on.

I highly doubt it will be passed on to the customer.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Collings said:
    crunchman said:

But they do.

The PRS case is the same as its always been in reality and its more than fit for purpose.

What is wrong with the current case?
    It's heavy and bulky.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16795
    Jack_ said:
    WezV said:
    Jack_ said:

Okay.

maybe helping sustain a company trying to succeed in a declining market is enough.

All the points you state about PRS  quality and cost cutting are valid, so why don’t you trust them to make the right decision on a case supplier.  The new company may have been the best available to them

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2018
    WezV said:
    Jack_ said:
    WezV said:
    Jack_ said:

Okay.

maybe helping sustain a company trying to succeed in a declining market is enough.

All the points you state about PRS  quality and cost cutting are valid, so why don’t you trust them to make the right decision on a case supplier.  The new company may have been the best available to them

I personally couldn't care less, because I'll never be buying a new PRS, nor do I really care that much about cases, I was just playing devils advocate.

PRS can do what they want, they should have far more knowledgeable business and marketing people than me.

It's just when you see Paul himself in interviews blowing his own trumpet and talking about how PRS always do things a certain way; and then they go a different way, that kind of contradicts a lot of what he pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • justtt007justtt007 Frets: 205
    Jack_ said:

This was exactly my point! Thank you!
    Collings said:
    They switched supplier as the original cases they used are no longer available. The current cases are no less in tearms of quality and most would not even notice as they are almost identical. I own PRS guitars from 80s to current and there is no material difference in the cases other than private stock cases. Whats the problem?
    They aren’t bad quality no AS good as the old ones IMO but I’d bet they are a lot cheaper and prs are still charging £170-200 which is around the same as the previous USA ones, and for a company who’s brand is built on ALL AMERICAN in house etc etc I think it maybe the start of a slippery slope that’s all
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jack_ said:
    WezV said:
    Jack_ said:

It’s not! That’s my point, and us in the U.K pay a substantial premium as is to play prs 
    Jack_ said:
    WezV said:
    Jack_ said:
    WezV said:
    Jack_ said:

Okay.

I personally couldn't care less, because I'll never be buying a new PRS, nor do I really care that much about cases, I was just playing devils advocate.

PRS can do what they want, they should have far more knowledgeable business and marketing people than me.

It's just when you see Paul himself in interviews blowing his own trumpet and talking about how PRS always do things a certain way; and then they go a different way, that kind of contradicts a lot of what he pedals.
    This again is all part of the point I was trying to make, I watch a 15min clip of how even the pickup surrounds are made in house!!! If they are that happy with the cases why not tell everyone it’s happening 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited April 2018
    I suspect because they believe it is a non issue for their customers and the replacement case was the same as the existing

If the replacement had been a massive improvement and had been made specifically for them to their design they would have no doubt shouted about it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27257
    justtt007 said:
    Collings said:
    They switched supplier as the original cases they used are no longer available. The current cases are no less in tearms of quality and most would not even notice as they are almost identical. I own PRS guitars from 80s to current and there is no material difference in the cases other than private stock cases. Whats the problem?
    They aren’t bad quality no AS good as the old ones IMO but I’d bet they are a lot cheaper and prs are still charging £170-200 which is around the same as the previous USA ones, and for a company who’s brand is built on ALL AMERICAN in house etc etc I think it maybe the start of a slippery slope that’s all
    I don't think that's what PRS stands for at all. They make shitloads of guitars in Korea, for a start! 

I've always seen PRS as standing for uncompromising quality, high quality materials and very high levels of consistency. 

I don't see how changing case supplier makes any difference, especially if the old ones aren't even available any more.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom