Getting Apple software on "disc"?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited April 2018
    If you do go down the Reaper route this guys channel has a lot of good tips .

http://reapertv.co.uk/

All sorts of stuff from setup to customising. For me little things like making the meters bigger and automatically adding colours to tracks via this plugin http://www.sws-extension.org/ have made it feel a lot more like "my" DAW
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27630
    TTony said:

.  A PC platform looks a safer bet, and probably cheaper - assuming that I can update an old machine that's currently sat here.
    @digitalscream;

Just coaxed an old abandoned PC back to life.

It's got a quad-core 2.8Ghz i7 , 8MB of RAM, twin DVI outputs, and more USB ports than I'm ever going to need.  Running Win7 Pro, which at least protects me against WIn10 auto-updates.

On the to-buy list;
    • Some form of faster HDD
    • Wifi adapter
    • Software!
    On the downside,  it's a big old beastie.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26648
    Good move :)

Depending on budget, I'd spend about £140-odd on a couple of 240GB SSDs - one for system and programs (and samples etc) and the other for your actual work. Get a caddy for the drive that's in there, and use it as an external backup/archive of your older projects when you need to clear out some space. It's surprising how quickly these things get big...our album project (16 songs) has topped 170GB already, and we haven't even finished recording guitars and vocals yet.

Get thee a couple of 24" screens, and you're good to go :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27630
    Good move :)

Depending on budget, I'd spend about £140-odd on a couple of 240GB SSDs - one for system and programs (and samples etc) and the other for your actual work. Get a caddy for the drive that's in there, and use it as an external backup/archive of your older projects when you need to clear out some space. It's surprising how quickly these things get big...our album project (16 songs) has topped 170GB already, and we haven't even finished recording guitars and vocals yet.

Get thee a couple of 24" screens, and you're good to go :)
    Just looking at SSDs now - Kingston 480Gb @ £133!  Couple of those in the Amazon basket ...

I've got multiple old external USB drives already, so back-up (or overflow storage of loops/samples/etc) is covered.

And also got a couple of Dell 2001FP monitors.  They'll do 1600x1200 which should be enough to get me up & running.

I generally keep one generation of old PC kit around, just to act as backup to current generation if something fails at an inconvenient time.  That's where all this old stuff is coming from.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    TTony said:
    Were Apple kind enough to install everything for you?
    No.
    that's a shame.  I thought Apple would have went out of their way to keep a customer, now ex-customer, happy, but it looks like I'm wrong.    
    In a roundabout way, Apple has tried to keep the customer happy.

Declining to install Logic 10.4.n into a modest spec Mac Mini prior to despatch is a tacit admission either that the software would take an eternity to upload or that the hardware will not support the DAW for more than a few months. Selling something today that is likely to piss off the purchaser in about four months' time is not good for winning long-term custom.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom