Wiring help!?!

andy7561andy7561 Frets: 0
I apologise for what is a maybe a simple question but I’m having some wiring problems.

i recently bought a new gold foil pickup in the style of the old Harmony/airline pickups and I can barely get a sound out of it. I’m wiring it with one tone and one volume. Even when I connect it straight to the jack - nothing or at best very little. I know the pickup is good as this is the second one and it’s been tested. 
Does anyone have any ideas? I’m a bit new to wiring but what I have done in the past has been ok. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    Disconnect it from the jack and tape the wires to the end of a known good guitar cable, and test it like that.

Although rare, a shorted jack is not impossible, if it's a far-east-made one - I've never come across it with a Switchcraft.

Also check for shorts somewhere around the jack, if the cavity is shielded. Sometimes the jack can contact the shielding and short itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• andy7561andy7561 Frets: 0
    Great- thanks
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    andy7561 said:
    I know the pickup is good as this is the second one and it’s been tested. 
    Tested by whom and in what way? (Never assume that brand new parts are fully functional.) 

For example, can you take a D.C. resistance meter reading from the pickup coil(s)? Can you take a separate reading for the output cable?

If the D.C. readings are to spec., it is possible that the magnetic material in the pickup has been de-Gaussed - or was never properly charged to begin with. (I once had this happen on a Seymour Duncan custom order pickup.)

andy7561 said:
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Remote diagnosis is always helped by the inclusion of photographs.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.