Yet another stolen gear thread. Please keep em peeled for this lot of gear

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Horrible. Hope they get it back. 

It in no way whatsover makes it their fault but I find it maddening that in 2018 bands are still leaving uninsured gear in vans. 
    Why waste money on insurance when there's Go Fund Me? =)  In all seriousness is there affordable insurance that would cover all that gear being stolen out a van in some random car park in the middle of the night?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    sweepy said:
    Mixed feelings on this, yes, the people who knicked the gear are scumbags but the Band themselves are bloody stupid and naive to leave Gear in a Van unattended
    Yeah, I remember even in my early years of gigging (17-18 years old) it had already been drummed into me that you don't leave gear in vehicles overnight.
  • dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    Octafish said:
    Horrible. Hope they get it back. 

It in no way whatsover makes it their fault but I find it maddening that in 2018 bands are still leaving uninsured gear in vans. 
    Why waste money on insurance when there's Go Fund Me? =)  In all seriousness is there affordable insurance that would cover all that gear being stolen out a van in some random car park in the middle of the night?
    You'd be surprised. I've got about £3k of gear insured with Allianz for less than £25 a month - covers stuff nicked from vehicles and gig venues, even loss and accidental damage.

I've only ever claimed for accidental damage (Gibson headstock fail), but they covered the repairs plus depreciation in value.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    I have 12k covered with New Moon, including unattended vehicle cover in the U.K., for less than £200 a year.

When I was younger it never occurred to me I could get this kind of insurance, and I’d probably have gone to a bigger insurer who’d have charged a lot more.

Back in the 90s my band had a Monday night residency in a bar in the Hilton in Glasgow. We always went clubbing after the gig and I always without exception took my stuff home first (once I’d found a cab driver who’d take a 4x12..). The rest of the guys got complacent and started leaving their gear behind the bar in the hotel service corridor, until the singers guitars went missing between Monday night and Tuesday lunch time. We thought a hotel like the Hilton would have trustworthy staff...
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    £400 a year seems a small price to pay for all my gear to be insured even when left in an unattended vehicle (which it never is, with the possible exception of one of my PA speakers which I can't always be arsed to drag inside).

I hate to sound sanctimonious, but if you're doing this at a professional level and your gear is uninsured, you are playing with fire. And if you leave it all unattended in a van in Mile End, you really shouldn't be surprised when it goes missing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Sorry but some of the comments on here are unbelievable. Yes insurance should be in place but to start slagging them off is ridiculous. These guys supported us and were absolutely lovely. Middle class hipsters!? Judgemental much? Hard working young guys trying to make something of their band, who have been naive and paid the price. I would be inconsolable if my gear was nicked: In fact, I was after having a ‘72 Gibson 345 stolen a few years back. I’m sure most of you would feel the same. So many of you obviously have no experience of touring at this level. Best of luck to them. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    I do feel sorry for them, but they shouldn't have been so foolish. If they had to leave the gear in the van then someone should have stayed in it. It's not fun, but if you want to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen then you have to accept it.

For what it's worth I once turned down the opportunity to go home with a girl after a gig because I would have had to leave my gear in my car outside her flat. Not very rock'n'roll, I know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’m pretty sure a lot of you guys haven’t toured like modern bands. Probably getting £40 a night fee, which doesn’t cover fuel, staying in shady areas at student flats because you can’t afford a single hotel room. £20 a month is a lot of money when you earn nothing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited April 2018
    timmysoft said:
    I’m pretty sure a lot of you guys haven’t toured like modern bands. Probably getting £40 a night fee, which doesn’t cover fuel, staying in shady areas at student flats because you can’t afford a single hotel room. £20 a month is a lot of money when you earn nothing.

Done that....but not any more! While the other guys would get a cheap B&B or whatever I slept in the van with the gear. Even now on gigs I never leave it unattended, and when I get home I unload everything. 

I feel bad for those guys, a hard lesson.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    sticker said:

the bit I don't get is they need £10k because "without all this equipment we cant continue as a band" . any band I've been in have been able to be a band with Squiers and Boss pedals .

Sounds like they are Fretboard members then! :lol: 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    timmysoft said:

I have, and it also means you can barely afford food or strings let alone replacement gear, so you look after it.

Sorry, but 'naive' is a very polite way of putting it. Abandoning all the tools of your trade to the denizens of Tower Hamlets is just lazy and stupid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    It's utter idiocy on their part. You don't go on a European tour as main support and not have gear insurance, let alone turn around and ask your fans to make up for it. I'm sure they make more than £20 a night on merch, let alone a month. Great response from people helping, and kudos to Fender & Orange for the loans, but they should never have been in this position to begin with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    VJIves said:
    It's utter idiocy on their part. You don't go on a European tour as main support and not have gear insurance, let alone turn around and ask your fans to make up for it. 
    I’m having flashbacks to a Chappers thread ;-)