Without wishing to start a whole Chappers bashing thread.........

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I now know what a Vintage thread without a Terry Morgan reference would be like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I now know what a Vintage thread without a Terry Morgan reference would be like.
    So even a Rob Chapman thread is not immune to the Terry Morgan reference.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    mbe said:
    So even a Rob Chapman thread is not immune to the Terry Morgan reference.
    Indeed not. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Friend of mine owns an ML3-RC and the original ML3, i liked them both tbh. He got them both when they were high quality stuff for low quality prices or there abouts.

I found them both pretty good, particularly liked the RC model, had a nice through neck. All nice and tidy inside and definitely worth what was originally asked. 

Not so sure about the new ones sorry, they seem to have caught the "if i sell it they will buy" bug and monies seem a little silly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I'd only be interested in buying a Chapman if they were hand built high end guitars in the Suhr price bracket... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

And for a full house........

I reckon it needs a Bigsby.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2939
    OK.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Knew I could count on you lot to keep it real.  ;)
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2018
    To develop my point with some specifics:

A mate of mine from uni owned one of the original run of ML-1s, and it was very heavy, sounded pretty flat and uninspiring both unplugged and plugged in, and played similarly (I'm talking about when I played it btw, not slagging him off D ). Not a very nice neck profile, and I always thought the ML-1 shape looked a bit clunky and weird too.

Another friend of mine has recently bought an ML-3 Rabea signature (the trans black, standard-scale one as opposed to the baritone) and I thought similar - it wasn't shockingly heavy but still weighed too much, the neck profile was fairly rubbish and it sounded pretty dull as well (again, my first hand experience of playing it). Shame, because I thought it was a very nice looking guitar, at least.

It could be that I've never played one which was set up the way I'd choose to have my guitars, but they always seem to be uninspiring to play and never, ever have I played one which I thought was light and resonant enough. They don't ring.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    I always thought they were decent budget guitars, but as the line expanded and the prices grew, I found their competitors (PRS SE, LTD, Schecter etc) to have more character. Personal preference and all that.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I’ve only had a quick mess about with a left handed ML1 so can’t really judge them properly (I’m not left handed), but I’ve always liked the look of the ML3 Traditionals. Especially in that nice blue.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    I had a look at some at the guitar show in Birmingham. I actually thought they were well built and really liked the spec.

However, I could NEVER be happy with a guitar that has "Monkey Lord Approved" stamped on the back of the headstock.

Shame really!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    I haven't tried the ML-3s, but...for what it's worth, I went to Rob's MonkeyFest thing waaaay back when. There were a whole load of ML-1s, and Jaden was also there with his guitars.

Since then, I've had four guitars from Jaden (five, if you count the bass I periodically nick from my dad...) and none from CG.

Not a fair comparison back then...however, a 18 of CG's 48 production models are more expensive than the last guitar I bought from Jaden (one of the Floyd-equipped Salvos, about three months ago), so now...yeah. Draw your own conclusions.
    <space for hire>