Horrific Vintage Guitars.....

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2397
Sometimes I'm just lost for words with the basket cases for sale.....

https://reverb.com/item/11413741-fender-telecaster-1958-sunburst

A '58 with rosewood board and binding? What the heck?

https://reverb.com/item/11397547-fender-telecaster-1952-natural-linc-chamberland

Again, lost for words. Who would buy these?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    Love the use of capitals in that first listing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2397
    Should read....

Again, I am not claiming this is a 1958 Tele!!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    edited April 2018
    The first one looks for all the world like American and German hardware on the body of one MIJ guitar and the neck of another. I see nothing in the photographs to substantiate 1958.

The second one seems to check out - assuming that somebody out there is a big enough fan of LC to desire his old guitar.

EDIT: The grain in the body wood resembles Japanese Sen rather more than American White/Light/Swamp Ash. Differentiating between ash family woods is academic because a 1958 Telecaster ought to be Alder. The chips in the finish are as you would expect to find in urethane rather than nitro-cellulose. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7046
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Only Linc Chamberland's (who he?) biggest fan.
    Only Linc Chamberland's (who he?) biggest fan.
    According to an article on t'Interweb, the mongrel Fender had been acquired by one of LC's last guitar students. There is no telling where the guitar has been in the thirty years since Chamberland died.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    They look like the sort of thing Music Outlet in Germany would have in stock...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    ^
    A thousand wizzes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72487
    The second one is. Even MOS wouldn't try to sell something as completely wrongly described as the first one - they do actually know their stuff, they just choose to advertise some of the worst-hacked basket cases in all of the guitar world for ludicrous prices...

As already said the first one is a MIJ Fender with changed hardware and a non-original pencil 'date'.

The second one most likely was hacked by Mr. Chamberland, since I can't actually imagine anyone doing that to a guitar after about 1980. Unless he's much more famous than I know, it seems wildly overpriced as well, regardless of what the body and neck originally were.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Appropriate original owner for the second one. "Hmm this guitar needs more chamber. Now, where did I put my chisel ..."
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    When I see back jobs like the second one it makes me feel so much better about my own botches.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    the "1952" one contains so much Gibbo hardware that I'm surprised he didn't trade it for a real Gibbo.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28496
    I like how the second one is described as "Very Good" condition.

I like that a lot.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72487
    the "1952" one contains so much Gibbo hardware that I'm surprised he didn't trade it for a real Gibbo.
    People didn't always think like that in the 1970s. New guitars were expensive and second hand ones were relatively rarer, so It was more "this is my guitar, I want a different guitar but I can't afford one or find one cheap enough, so I'll modify mine to get what I want".

I once came across a late-60s Strat which the owner had decided to convert into a Tele Deluxe, presumably some time after 1972 - the front was completely routed out for the two humbuckers, four knobs and switch location of the Tele Deluxe, and fitted with a pickguard which was roughly the Tele Deluxe shape but also covered the lower horn like the original Strat one.

The owner wanted me to restore it by filling the holes and re-routing, and refinishing in a solid colour. I thought it was fairly pointless since the work had actually been done quite well, and the result was very much 'of its time' and quite cool in its own way. I never did get the job, so either he left it or someone else had a go...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Funny how the '52 was actually described on all his fan sites as a 1953! 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    ICBM said:
    People didn't always think like that in the 1970s. New guitars were expensive and second hand ones were relatively rarer, so It was more "this is my guitar, I want a different guitar but I can't afford one or find one cheap enough, so I'll modify mine to get what I want".

I once came across a late-60s Strat which the owner had decided to convert into a Tele Deluxe, presumably some time after 1972 - the front was completely routed out for the two humbuckers, four knobs and switch location of the Tele Deluxe, and fitted with a pickguard which was roughly the Tele Deluxe shape but also covered the lower horn like the original Strat one.

The owner wanted me to restore it by filling the holes and re-routing, and refinishing in a solid colour. I thought it was fairly pointless since the work had actually been done quite well, and the result was very much 'of its time' and quite cool in its own way. I never did get the job, so either he left it or someone else had a go...
    This.

Look at John Oates' Strat...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    hard to pass any positive comments - 1/2 the price and I still could not get excited whatsoever - said before, it is easier to sell a nice vintage guitar for 50K then a bad example at £20K - can't see any sensible value in these in parts - total mish mash
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    hard to pass any positive comments - 1/2 the price and I still could not get excited whatsoever - said before, it is easier to sell a nice vintage guitar for 50K then a bad example at £20K - can't see any sensible value in these in parts - total mish mash
    I'm not even sure I could get excited if this turned up unexpectedly as a free gift in a McDonalds Happy Meal.....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How about a '53 Tele that was altered so much that they restored it with complete new veneers both front and back? Great....you couldn't make this stuff up, its not like they are a few grand anymore. Its £10k!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Fender-Telecaster-Vintage-Electric-Guitar-Ash-Tadeo-signed-neck-w-Case-/173287394990
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    Strat54 said:
    How about a '53 Tele that was altered so much that they restored it with complete new veneers both front and back? Great....you couldn't make this stuff up, its not like they are a few grand anymore. Its £10k!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Fender-Telecaster-Vintage-Electric-Guitar-Ash-Tadeo-signed-neck-w-Case-/173287394990
    They've treated the original body like it's a religious relic. Even the pencilled neck date looks suss. Charlatans.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    The '53 Tele looks good but is considerably overpriced IMHO. Is there actually in existence a '53 Tele that is 100% original? Hardly likely, unless it is the fabled closet find!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum