Chapman now at GuitarGuitar.....

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Smart move from the Captain, aiming for a slice of his competitor's footfall there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    I'm surprised they want to be linked to a guitar so associated with one of their main competitors, or maybe they think its just getting free advertising.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    1 left handed model in stock - literally "Chapman at GuitarGuitar"
  • dindude said:
    1 left handed model in stock - literally "Chapman at GuitarGuitar"
    It would seem the main bulk of the stock isn't expected until July. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3073
    That's a bit like Asda selling Tescos own brand crisps. Interesting.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    Interesting decision from GuitarGuitar there. The margins on Chapman's are some of the highest I've seen in the industry (if not the highest), so I can understand the temptation despite the link to one of their main competitors.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Nick said:
    Interesting decision from GuitarGuitar there. The margins on Chapman's are some of the highest I've seen in the industry (if not the highest), so I can understand the temptation despite the link to one of their main competitors.
    Margins for who?  The dealer?

Be really interested in information on this, as they are very confident in their business model.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    I suspect that there is a market sector for whom the Chapman guitar range is appealing but the trek to Guildford to try one out in person is not. 

Worst case scenario, GuitarGuitar orders one batch and sales flop. No repeat business.

Best case scenario, easier nationwide availability, free word of mouth publicity for CG and GG, less mail order distance selling hassle. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Probably Chapman guitars is a completely separate entity and must trade as such.Better a sale to potential competitor than no sale at all .Boxes have to shift when buying from the far east  and bills paid.
  • Nick said:
    nice to hear that those concerned aren't afraid of maximising the return on each guitar, must be particularly tempting given the youngish target audience
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Nick said:
    How much of the margin is eaten up by the cost of QC’ing an entire delivery though? 

Its interesting if the margins are THAT high given that they always maintained the prices should be something like 20-30% higher if there was a distributor involved. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3455
    When I bought a guitar from Pmt it came from dolphin music.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    edited April 2018
    lonestar said:
    Nick said:
    How much of the margin is eaten up by the cost of QC’ing an entire delivery though? 

Its interesting if the margins are THAT high given that they always maintained the prices should be something like 20-30% higher if there was a distributor involved. 
    For larger stores where guitar techs are employed on a full-time basis already, there is very little extra cost. The extra QC work is just piled on to the incoming workload.

As for smaller stores who do not have such a high staffing count, 'mom & pop' stores, etc, the consideration is much more sizeable. 

Nick said:
    Margins for who?  The dealer?

Be really interested in information on this, as they are very confident in their business model.

Yes, I would guess that no-one apart from the three directors and Far-Eastern factory owners has any knowledge of the manufacturing costs.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Being that they are now carried by Guitar Center in the US I’m sure the unit cost is now absolutely rock-bottom as those will be big orders. Of course, GC can destroy brands as well as make them... so if it doesn’t fly with the US market it could be a big headache. We’ll see...
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Same reason they have Victory in GG now - many people talk about them but can't try them out without travelling to Englandshire and there's a big market for Chapman stuff - it's decent too - not bad for the price range it is in. I'm glad GG have them in now.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nick said:
    Really?

Those £399 ones look like pretty decent guitars from the photos
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    lonestar said:
    Nick said:

I'd be surprised if the QC'ing was that intense. I received a few very expensive guitars from Andertons that had to be sent back due to poor QC.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    A reviewer in the States on YT got a Chapman from GC, it had not been Q'S by Guitar Center, it was unopened from the factory...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    thegummy said:

Those £399 ones look like pretty decent guitars from the photos
    To be fair they probably are - manufacturing in the Far East gets cheaper all the time.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • robgilmo said:
    When I bought a guitar from Pmt it came from dolphin music.
    Same company for the past several years. Think Dolphin got taken over but they kept their online store and possibly one store IIRC