Chapman now at GuitarGuitar.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

They have opened a vote for a semi-hollow:

https://chapmanguitars.co.uk/voting/

Honey burst and P90s would be nice, but I'd spec some high end P90s and pay more if it was an option. Doubt we will see many of these in the UK though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    I got the impression that GuitarGuitar listing was a trade-in they've got for sale. They're not listed as a dealer on the Chapman site.

That said, Rob did a Facebook Q&A a couple of weeks back where he talked about maybe going to other UK retailers besides Andertons, on the basis that Andertons isn't really an option for most of the country if you want to try before you buy.
    Tim
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    timmypix said:
    I got the impression that GuitarGuitar listing was a trade-in they've got for sale. They're not listed as a dealer on the Chapman site.

That said, Rob did a Facebook Q&A a couple of weeks back where he talked about maybe going to other UK retailers besides Andertons, on the basis that Andertons isn't really an option for most of the country if you want to try before you buy.
    If you click the link you'll see they're listing most of the current range:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/chapman/guitars/electric/

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I just don't get Chapman's. I'm happy they are in other shops as it's always nice to see businesses do well. I just think why not get a schecter, PRS se or something else? Still variety is the spice of life and all that.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Apologies for the stupid question but what is a "Ghost Fret"?
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2441
    Yes Andertons and GG are competitors but you would be surprised how good a relationship a lot of major retailers have with each other. Especially in these more challenging times. The “we’re all in this together” mentality is very prominent as is massive mutual respect. 

The biggest example of this was Academy Of Sound and Sound Control. There couldn’t have been more competition between them if they tried. My father in law owned AOS and had a great relationship with Pat and Kip who owened SC. They worked very closely together to do major shows like Music live as well as working on huge deals with suppliers to get better prices.

Chapman at GG or any other store isn’t competition. It’s a very good business decision. I’m sure you will see more of it and Victory around in the coming years. They have become strong brands and any retailer that knows what they’re doing would be very smart to take them on. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Don't see why selling a guitar associated with a competitor guitar matters one bit. If they can get them at a price to allow the usual mark-up then why not? Guitar Guitar sell guitars so it's in their interest to offer what they think they can shift, Chapman make guitars that seem to be proving popular so it makes sense.

If you live in the north (in in Edinburgh) and would only buy one if you could try it first what are you going to do? Drive to Andertons? One company expands their range, the other expands their market exposure - win-win.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5374
    Frizer said:
    AIUI these days it's just the Explorer-style body shape one.

I saw something the other day where it was explained that the original intention had been to have half-frets on the guitars (effecitvely fretless on the top three strings, fretted on the wound strings) and that was something they were maybe looking to pursue in the future, as it didn't come off originally. But the name stuck despite the lack of "ghost frets".

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    edited April 2018
    johnl said:
    timmypix said:

If you click the link you'll see they're listing most of the current range:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/chapman/guitars/electric/

Apologies - I was on their site yesterday and saw they only had a leftie ML2, so this stuff has obviously gone up today. Serves me right for trying to be a smartarse! Very interesting though, I've been contemplating a Ghost Fret for a while so I might actually be able to try one. EDIT: maybe not, thought there was a GG in Leeds or Sheffield that would be driveable from Manchester, hey ho!
    Tim
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The guitars coming out of World Music in Korea remind me of the old British Motor Corporation cars.

Back in the 60s you could have had basically the same car with either a Morris, Austin, Riley, Wolseley,  Vanden Plas or MG badge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    mbe said:
    The guitars coming out of World Music in Korea remind me of the old British Motor Corporation cars.

Back in the 60s you could have had basically the same car with either a Morris, Austin, Riley, Wolseley,  Vanden Plas or MG badge.
    I'd hate to see what would happen if they striked like them though.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    mbe said:

I'd hate to see what would happen if they striked like them though.
    Red Robbo Chapman
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• mbe said:

That makes total sense, I've seen a couple of brands that have the same exact body shapes and contours as the new chapmans.

Its a bit ridiculous to be honest. I mean guitar companies are essentially all making the same thing but at least they maintain the illusion that we are buying different style guitars by making them look differently.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    That's a bit like Asda selling Tescos own brand crisps. Interesting.
    No not really, that's why it's smart. If they were Andertons branded you'd be right.

• FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Snags said:
    Frizer said:
    AIUI these days it's just the Explorer-style body shape one.

I saw something the other day where it was explained that the original intention had been to have half-frets on the guitars (effecitvely fretless on the top three strings, fretted on the wound strings) and that was something they were maybe looking to pursue in the future, as it didn't come off originally. But the name stuck despite the lack of "ghost frets".

Thanks, thought it was some fretless or super low profile fret gimic. So it's just "the Explorer shape one" :)