Random music discoveries - what have you found that's good?

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    That baby thing on the cover of the Sundays "Blind" LP creeps me out.
    Yep :D - great album though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    That baby thing on the cover of the Sundays "Blind" LP creeps me out.
    It's a doll :). They're not real you know ;). And yes, it is a great album.

Actually the cover of Nevermind does slightly creep me out…

… but mostly because of the incredibly dated 90s 'watery' lettering.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Agreed on First Impressions of Earth though. I love You Only Live Once - probably my favourite Strokes song - but I'd have taken off 15 Minutes and killed the album after Ize of the World. That said, everything they've done since is pony, so it's all a bit irrelevant.
    That sounds like a much better album on paper. I might have moved Ize of the World (or ditched that one too) and ended on Fear of Sleep, but taking the other tracks out would be no great loss to the record.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    ICBM said:
    I could not agree more, and yet almost everyone I know who has listened to both bands seems to think Interpol are the good one and Editors are meh - I have no idea why. Someone else said Interpol were much better live, but I saw them at Glastonbury (on TV admittedly, not actually live) and they were even more meh.
    Don't get that. On the strength of this record and Editors' first two, I much prefer Editors- they have a very similar sound overall, but Editors have some great hooks and choruses that Interpol don't. I guess I'm just a pop music fan.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    english_bob said:

On the strength of this record and Editors' first two, I much prefer Editors- they have a very similar sound overall, but Editors have some great hooks and choruses that Interpol don't. I guess I'm just a pop music fan.
    Me too - or more accurately I much prefer their songs. I just don't hear any good songs when I've listened to Interpol, and I can't see that being live in a dark room will fix that.

Check out the third and fourth Editors albums too - slightly less immediate, but no less good... and criminally overlooked, HMV were doing In This Light for *£1.99* a few months ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Lucky me. A chance visit to Oxfam today and a glance at the CDs revealed someone had donated a load of Jackie Leven CDs.

Had most of them but bought three of the Haunted Year live albums.

Jackie was a great talent, a fine writer, singer, guitarist, performer and raconteur, and these live discs capture all that.
    Holy necro thread Batman...

But this came to mind after I was charged 99p for a copy of Nick Drake's Oink Moon at my local Barnardos shop.

Not an easy listen given what we know about his state of mind generally, but there's some lovely stuff on there.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited November 2016
    Skarloey said:
    Nick Drake's Oink Moon
    I've always thought that was a pig of an album....

Might also be worth seeking out John Martyn's 'Solid Air' - the title track of which was written about Drake, who JM was a close friend of. A beautiful song, featuring some lovely open-tuned acoustic guitar work....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited November 2016
    I can't remember the exact way this happened, but I think I bought a Fuzztones album because the lettering looked a bit Cramps-y. Then I bought a Pebbles compilation because the cover artist was Rudi Protrudi of the Fuzztones. Then I realised it was all connected and there was much common ground.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Skarloey said:
    Nick Drake's Oink Moon
    I've always thought that was a pig of an album....

Might also be worth seeking out John Martyn's 'Solid Air' - the title track of which was written about Drake, who JM was a close friend of. A beautiful song, featuring some lovely open-tuned acoustic guitar work....
    Oink moon!!!!!!! Classic typo. My Android keyboard's mucking about. 

Yes @richardhomer I know Solid Air very well. Everything JM did near enough features classic guitar work. Makes me as a mere mortal feel pig sick. 

Oink, oink. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I've just started investigating Conlon Nancarrow's work and am finding it very interesting indeed. Essentially, a man experimenting with the compositional freedom offered by mechanical devices (pianolas). There's an excellent introduction to him by an American bass player whose youtube channel might be worth exploring.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not random but I'm loving that new Bruno Mars song "24 Carat" - seriously good!
  • Jesus!

This guy is a legend. And they say modern music is dead. Amazing!
  • Yay! This thread's back! I like this thread. 

Stuff I've bought recently from charity shops, jumble sales etc.

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black Not remotely obscure or anything, but damn. This album captures and updates the sound and vibe of the 50s and 60s hellraising soul singers and the sort of tempestuous relationships they sang about in all the ways that shitty Rihanna song that's out at the moment doesn't. For all the drama and tabloid bullshit that surrounded her, Amy Winehouse was a truly talented singer and lyricist.

Aretha Franklin - Best of Also not exactly obscure- I like soul music, but I was aware that I didn't have much of Aretha's stuff beyond the couple of tracks that always end up on compilation albums. After a while it all sort of blends in to one, but it pretty consistently has that blend of earthiness and sophistication, classiness and absolute filth that is the hallmark of all the best R&B and soul. Pretty sure "Something He Can Feel" is about blowjobs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Dada and Michael Gurley.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've been listening to this (and their other albums) a fair bit in the last few months:

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    This.

Just this.

Stop crying, start buying
  • Jesus!

This guy is a legend. And they say modern music is dead. Amazing!
    He's come a long way since that fuckawful song about making love like gorillas.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited November 2016
    Inglorious. They are no that new, but only heard them a couple of months ago.

Been listening to their album on Spotify. Quite tempted to buy it actually.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Probably posted this a thousand times before but I fucking love this band, Whores. If you like proper music with massive fuzzed out riffs, no pretense, that gives zero fucks and isnt afraid to use feedback as part of a riff then you need to listen to them. 

The new album Gold is awesome as well. I don't think they have a bad song over the two EPs and the full length. There's not one guitar solo and it's a breath of fresh air. They sound a lot like Unsane but better imo.