Pete Green Documentary - Tonight - Sat 14th 9pm

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Neil said:
    Watched the doc previously, as many have said, very sad indeed.

A few years back I saw Splinter group backing John Mayall and Peter is of course not the same. 

Seeing his unfortunate state is a good advert to stay away from drugs. 
    And electro-shock therapy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited April 2018
    I saw him in Galashiels just after he started touring with splinter group. He wasn’t really there for the most part, but there was a period of about 15 minutes where he seemed to wake up and it was frankly amazing, then he was gone again and it was back to watching an average pub blues band, with that allegedly exploitative geezer playing leads. I felt like a voyeur, watching someone struggle with mental illness on a stage...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched part of it last night, and recorded the rest.  In the clips I saw, although PG seemed a bit absent, he was smiling when recollecting the early days, and I didn't detect any sadness.  Not sure if I want to watch the end now, given the comments above :(
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    He's changed a lot since that programme was made. I've seen a few programmes in more recent years where he's been far more lucid and rational.

His guitar-playing demise is, in terms of music, a tragedy.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    Saw this the last time it was on and decided against watching it again.  Fascinating but just too gloom-inducing.  Not a big blues guy these days but I was obsessed with blues guitarists for a few years in my teens and Green was my hero.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    I just finished re-watching & saw it previously on BBC4 a couple of years back.

Probably the saddest case of a drug casualty I have heard of.......what a loss to music. "Then Play On" and "Live in Boston" are two of most listened to albums I have.

Can't bring myself to listen to the Splinter Group stuff.....I'll stick with the memories. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6725
    I always find this video upsetting. Should have been an amazing triumphant duet but it's Santana plus a deer in headlights. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    SRich said:

Probably the saddest case of a drug casualty I have heard of.......what a loss to music. "Then Play On" and "Live in Boston" are two of most listened to albums I have.

Can't bring myself to listen to the Splinter Group stuff.....I'll stick with the memories. 
    just finished watching it and wondered what to say - tried to explain to my wife, but no ability on my part to explain how I felt - Just so so sad - My gran died recently at 99 and I probably did not feel as sad on that day, as I do after watching that documentary
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    He's a big hero of mine. I saw the Splinter Group four times in total (once opening for BB King). As above there were moments of sheer brilliance but he would be lost again as soon as they'd arrived. His voice however sent chills down my arms. 

I listened again to all the versions of "Need Your Love So Bad" on Pious Bird of Good Omen this morning and he really was on another level. Beautiful phrasing just pouring out of him. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    SRich said:

just finished watching it and wondered what to say - tried to explain to my wife, but no ability on my part to explain how I felt - Just so so sad - My gran died recently at 99 and I probably did not feel as sad on that day, as I do after watching that documentary
    I meant the comment in a way that my gran lived to 99 and enjoyed life - especially all her extensive family - What is so sad about PG is that for 4/5 years we heard the work of a genius - we never heard work after that - the potential was huge, yet it was sadly taken away from us all and very sad days for him
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9700
    edited April 2018
    I saw him in Galashiels just after he started touring with splinter group. He wasn’t really there for the most part, but there was a period of about 15 minutes where he seemed to wake up and it was frankly amazing, then he was gone again and it was back to watching an average pub blues band, with that allegedly exploitative geezer playing leads. I felt like a voyeur, watching someone struggle with mental illness on a stage...
    I think you've summed up ( better than I managed) exactly my thoughts from seeing him at the Jazz Cafe. Moments of brilliance - particularly an acoustic version of Albatross - but mostly fairly forgettable. Splinter Group were proficient but certainly not outstanding.

SRich said:
    ...Can't bring myself to listen to the Splinter Group stuff.....I'll stick with the memories. 
    I've got some of the Splinter Group CDs. Again, moments of brilliance, and some great material. However, mostly quite uninspiring - I'd have been better off creating a playlist of just a handful of tracks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    I saw this last time and got the impression that Mick Fleetwood will ensure his mate always has enough money, OK he can afford it but it's nice that he cares about his mate.
    It's a very sad situation. there is enough of Peter Green on Youtube going through his guitar collection etc. as well as playing on German TV, his generosity in leaving other players space is obvious.