Anybody know much about Fender Custom Shop Custom Deluxe Strats?

What's Hot
Can anybody advise on the value of one of these (in Ebony Trans)?  In mint condition.  Been offered it in trade and want to make sure I get the value right!

Thanks!

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    £1700-ish plus or minus depending on the weather would be my guesstimate on a private sale. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited April 2018
    A few could be had for 1600 new in 2013, but prices have gone up a lot since then.
    i paid a bit more for a custom shop pro at the time, but tried the deluxe and liked them.
    both are a step up from the non custom shop strats from the same year. The quality of the deluxe was as good as several of the team built strats I tried on the day, it just had a poly finish and more modern neck if I recall 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    It's a veneered top, like my Kotzen. Hmmmm
  • Thanks, @Whitecat and @musteatbrain - seller is valuing around £2k, which seems steep.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • jeztone2 said:
    It's a veneered top, like my Kotzen. Hmmmm
    Is that bad, @jeztone2 ?

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited April 2018
    No, but I thought the whole point of the Fender Custom Shop was to make guitars to a higher spec? I thought that's what they were charging you for? 
  • jeztone2 said:
    No, but I thought the whole point of the Fender Custom Shop was to make guitars to a higher spec? I thought that's what they were charging you for?
    Ah, you mean because it's just a veneer.  I suppose it's good that they don't hide the fact! #SmallConsolation

My band, Red For Dissent
    Yeah, I mean a Tom Anderson isn't a veneer?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    *Whispers* Keep the PRS  ;)
  • Schnozz said:
    *Whispers* Keep the PRS  ;)
    It's possible!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Thanks, @Whitecat and @musteatbrain - seller is valuing around £2k, which seems steep.

Feels a little high and would certainly be an acceptable opening gambit in a negotiation, but I do feel the final price needs to be lower. £1800 maybe if it’s dead mint and lightweight...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    £1600 - £1800 would be mu guess, £2k a tad too much
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22897
    jeztone2 said:
    Ah, you mean because it's just a veneer.  I suppose it's good that they don't hide the fact! #SmallConsolation
    The description says the top is 3/16" thick, that's a bit more than a veneer to my mind... although they then call it a veneer in the specs further down the page.

I guess the point is it's cosmetic, not intended to affect tone (although as we all know body wood doesn't affect tone blah blah blah....)
  • Thanks, guys.  It has a Bareknuckle Sinner in the bridge, original included too.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    2K to much - a dealer would not ask that IMO - £1600 more like it on a  private sale - £1800 tops

whilst no longer made, similar spec today would be about 3K new
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    I sold my C.S.C.D. Strat last June for just £1450 in the end... I had a struggle selling it even though it was dead mint and Daphne blue! Had I not needed the money at the time I would have just hung on to it as they are good, but overlooked, instruments.
  • 2K to much - a dealer would not ask that IMO - £1600 more like it on a  private sale - £1800 tops

whilst no longer made, similar spec today would be about 3K new
    That’s frightening they’ve gone up to 3k now 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
    Whitecat said:
    Thanks, @Whitecat and @musteatbrain - seller is valuing around £2k, which seems steep.
    Feels a little high and would certainly be an acceptable opening gambit in a negotiation, but I do feel the final price needs to be lower. £1800 maybe if it’s dead mint and lightweight...
    2K to much - a dealer would not ask that IMO - £1600 more like it on a private sale - £1800 tops
    I’d have said £1400-£1600 tops. I don’t think they’re particularly desirable compared with other CS guitars and it could be difficult to sell for decent money if your plan would be to move it on.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited April 2018
    The issue with a model like this is it’s right up against Tom Andersons and Suhrs in the ‘posh’ Strat market. In my experience, players of both of those brands tend to consider they are more desirable than Fender - while Fender buyers tend to want vintage style instruments. In that sense, it seems to occupy something of a no man’s land.

I think the issue is not so much what it’s worth, as how easy it would be to sell. You may need to wait a lot time to find a buyer - and take a bath on the price when you do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like I've sold for cash so this won't be joining me. Some good advice, if I buy a Strat for cash!

My band, Red For Dissent