Which Soldering Iron?

What's Hot
Looking to buy a new iron as my old.

I've used an Antex 25w in the past but Just wondering whether to go up in power to a Weller 40w or to stick with 25w

It needs to be an all rounder for the usual things guitar related.

Any suggestions welcome

Ta all.
Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I used an Antex 18w for years, and recently got into pedal building. After a lot of research I got a Hakko FX-888d and my soldering is way better. With the programmable temperature control I don't need high or low wattage.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I also use and recommend the Japanese made Hakko. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAKKO-FX-888D-Genuine-UK-PLUG/222895539404?hash=item33e59c04cc:g:lXUAAOSwtTVZjaGo

Lots of fakes about, this seller is 100% genuine. The model up from the 888d is better but this is the sweet spot, price/performance wise. 

If you don't already, I recommend using one of these instead of the damp sponge method, helps avoid tip corrosion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DroneAcc-Soldering-Cleaner-Solder-Cleaning/dp/B078W83G55/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1523870145&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=soldering+tip+cleaner&psc=1

Weller seem to have lost some of their former reputation by offering too many cheaper models, and their dearer stuff isn't noticeably better than the 888d. 
    As @streethawk says, there are fakes about - see this:

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    +1 for the hakko 888d 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Thanks guys but as much as I'd like the Hakko, it's way over my budget. I can't justify spending that kind of money for the amount I do. That's why I'm looking at the £20 - £30 range.

Good call on the cleaner though @streethawk
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    In that case stick with the Antex.
    Wattage?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ellangus said:
    Thanks guys but as much as I'd like the Hakko, it's way over my budget. I can't justify spending that kind of money for the amount I do. That's why I'm looking at the £20 - £30 range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBPN1ZU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use one - for the price you won't get better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Gagaryn said:
    ellangus said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBPN1ZU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very nearly bought something similar but every time I looked, there was a slightly better spec Chinese made one for more money. 50, 100, 200! 

For under 30 quid though, we surely have a winner. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gagaryn said:
    ellangus said:

Very nearly bought something similar but every time I looked, there was a slightly better spec Chinese made one for more money. 50, 100, 200! 

For under 30 quid though, we surely have a winner. 

It's not without faults - assuming you have another iron it's wise to beef up the connection between the iron socket and the board as ironically the soldering from the factory is pretty shoddy and it can flex leading to it cutting out. I did the work when I got mine and it has worked flawlessly since, heats up in seconds ad the temperature control is actually accurate. And it's less than £30 - what's not to like.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Maplin are flogging some irons off cheap
    Thanks all, much appreciated.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    normula1 said:
    Maplin are flogging some irons off cheap
    Well, "cheap" for Maplin :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom