"Hi, I'm interested in buying your guitar..."

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    prowla said:
    Haggling is part of the transaction, unless the seller states the price as firm/no offers.
    Got no problem whatsoever with lowball offers or haggling. Its the silly reasons that people give that is the irritating bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    edited April 2018
    Chalky said:
    "...but I can't afford the asking price. Would you accept * comes out with a number 20% less than the listed price which is already below market value* 

I'm bored of these. Someone else give me the answer and I'll copy and paste it to him. 
    Completely agree. Anyone who says "but I can't afford..." is a twunt, wasting their time and yours.

The other similar one on here is the comparison - "my mate only paid £400 for his so I'm only looking to pay the same". On a £700 guitar I'm selling.

"Well go and buy your mate's guitar then!"
    Hah! Christ. What a bell. 

People in “not-as-clever-as-they-think-they-are” shocker. 
  • there are plenty of smartarse replies to lowball and sob story offers. But as others have said, better to just politely decline as it leaves it open for them to rethink and maybe come back with a higher or full price offer. Being sarcy gives you momentary satisfaction but guarantees losing the sale to them.
    btw i dont always practise what i preach. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I listed a guitar for £1750 recently.  Got offered £1400 but kept it polite, invited the guy over to have a play and ended up with £1600 which I was happy with.

I’ve always found if I list my price as “firm” I get less haggling but end up taking longer to sell.
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    edited April 2018
    I recently had a guy tell me he could afford my asking price on a guitar but wouldn't be willing to pay it because it wasn't his preferred colour. He reckoned that justified me dropping 200 off the price. Amused me in a slightly annoying way.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    johnswiss said:
    I recently had a guy tell me he could afford my asking pice on a guutar but wouldn't be willing to pay it because it wasn't his preferred colour. He reckoned that justified me dropping 200 off the price. Amused me in a slightly annoying way.
    Imagine if he were £200 short - and it was the ‘wrong’ colour - you’d have taken a £400 hit....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    johnswiss said:
    I recently had a guy tell me he could afford my asking pice on a guutar but wouldn't be willing to pay it because it wasn't his preferred colour. He reckoned that justified me dropping 200 off the price. Amused me in a slightly annoying way.
    Imagine if he were £200 short - and it was the ‘wrong’ colour - you’d have taken a £400 hit....
    Yeah, and if also not his preferred guitar, location, payment method and weather conditions he'd have had it for nothing.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Bear in mind, that apologetic sob-story aside, haggling is a generally accepted practice with second-hand sales, and often these offers prove fruitful. Our guitarist made a pretty low-ball offer on a Tele he saw on Gumtree, and the seller then replied with a counter-offer somewhere in the middle, which he accepted and he bought the guitar.

If you don't want to entertain offers, simply put "priced low to sell, no offers please" in the ad, and a simple "no thanks" as a reply will do the trick. You never know, keep it polite and the buyer might find the extra cash and offer you the full amount, if they want it that badly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    I always list stuff as BIN with Best Offer on eBay .. always get a few jokers (like someone who has just offered me -35% on a Nash Tele I have for sale) ..on the other hand there’s plenty of folk who just pay the asking and are happy! There’s nothing as queer as folk as they say! 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Got no problem with haggling or low-ball offers, none whatsoever, its part of selling and buying secondhand.  Its the stupid reasons that annoy me, because you know that if they use stupid reasons then they are extremely likely to be a waste of time.

I'd much rather someone say "Here is my (lowball) offer and if its of any interest please reply".
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    Chalky said:
    Got no problem with haggling or low-ball offers, none whatsoever, its part of selling and buying secondhand.  Its the stupid reasons that annoy me, because you know that if they use stupid reasons then they are extremely likely to be a waste of time.

I'd much rather someone say "Here is my (lowball) offer and if its of any interest please reply".
    I got this message last night for a keyboard I'm selling on Gumtree.

"Hi I’m so sorry for the delay !! The reason I’ve enquirer is because I’m returning to college as a mature student as a sound tech and creating music has always been my goal .  I’m currently having to locate and build myself a small studio in between raising my children so was wondering if you were able to go any lower on the price at all ? I’m sorry to ask but I’ve really struggled with everyday outgoings etc !! Totally understand if your unable to reduce the price but it’s perfect for what I’m trying to create for my family !!"

The story may be genuine, but there's just no need for it.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Bod said:
    Chalky said:

"Hi I’m so sorry for the delay !! The reason I’ve enquirer is because I’m returning to college as a mature student as a sound tech and creating music has always been my goal .  I’m currently having to locate and build myself a small studio in between raising my children so was wondering if you were able to go any lower on the price at all ? I’m sorry to ask but I’ve really struggled with everyday outgoings etc !! Totally understand if your unable to reduce the price but it’s perfect for what I’m trying to create for my family !!"

Back in the day, traveling Bards used to pay for their tavern bills with story and song. That guy is halfway there! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Bod said:
    Chalky said:

I’d still rather have a polite message like that rather than some of the other crap people try on “Listen mate it’s not worth nothing like what you’re asking. Tell you what, it’s really only worth a tenner, but I’ll give you £12 and that’s doing you a favour. As long as you deliver it of course. “
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Bod said:
    Chalky said:

Oh what a hard life, having to do a sound tech course and build a small studio, sounds like they got it tough :s :lol: . Why these sorts think no one else has tight budgets, children or other commitments I have no idea, but that sort of message would be an instant warning sign to not deal with.

For me if the prospective buyer can't afford it or doesn't think it's worth price then they should either move on or make me an offer they think is affordable/correct. I'm happy to enter negotiations or haggle on price, but please spare the insulting bullshit and sob stories. Even if true, it assumes that somehow I'm able to take a hit because they can't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Bod said:
    Chalky said:

You should reply with an even bigger sob story.

• BodBod Frets: 1315
    chillidoggy said:

I was very tempted, but he's wasted enough of my time already.  
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    When I used to do car boot sales , I would list stuff for £1 on the table ,and you still get people offering you 50p for it .

If I agreed, they would normally pay me with a pound coin , I enjoyed making them wait for their change by faffing around checking my pockets for change.

People like to feel they are getting a bargain .

if you put up guitar for sale ,establish your rock-bottom price . You can either inflate it slightly to account for offers , or just list it as firm and say no offers will be accepted .

As far as lowball offers are concerned , a polite no thanks is all that's required.
    Agree entirely.

It's a tough selling market - I don't think you can be miffed at anyone for offering a low figure. Why would you be offended by an offer? Tell him your best price. If he accepts, great. If not, what have you lost?

I once offered £600 for a digital piano at £925 and the seller agreed. 

The joys of a free market economy....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Bod said:
    chillidoggy said:

I was very tempted, but he's wasted enough of my time already.  

Might be worth concocting a generic one and saving it for future use, though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
  • I had an interesting experience today- guy came to view a bike I’m selling, he liked it and wanted to buy it. He agreed the price was fair... but hadn’t brought any money with him! Could he come back in a couple of days to pay for it?!?!

Erm, yes, but I’ll be hanging on to the bike in the meantime! 

Oh, really, but I WILL come back. I’m trustworthy. I could even give you a deposit.

i said that to take the bike away it’d take a deposit of 100% of the asking price. 

Theyre coming back apparently. 

6reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom