"Hi, I'm interested in buying your guitar..."

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    hadn’t brought any money with him
    Another classic tactic is turning up with less than the full (already agreed) amount. 

At half-distance car park meetings, my response to that try-on is to set off in the direction of my car, shaking my head and muttering about how much time has been wasted. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hadn’t brought any money with him
    Another classic tactic is turning up with less than the full (already agreed) amount. 

At half-distance car park meetings, my response to that try-on is to set off in the direction of my car, shaking my head and muttering about how much time has been wasted. 
    Surely no one on here would try that tactic?!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Once had one on gumtree. Interested in the guitar. A bit of back and forth, and we settle on a price. Guy promptly disappears. Pops up a few weeks later, asking for my best price..
    Reminded him we’d already agreed on a price. He didn’t come back. I probably blocked him. Sold it eventually, wasn’t in a rush..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I had an interesting experience today- guy came to view a bike I’m selling, he liked it and wanted to buy it. He agreed the price was fair... but hadn’t brought any money with him! Could he come back in a couple of days to pay for it?!?!

Erm, yes, but I’ll be hanging on to the bike in the meantime! 

Oh, really, but I WILL come back. I’m trustworthy. I could even give you a deposit.

i said that to take the bike away it’d take a deposit of 100% of the asking price. 

Theyre coming back apparently. 

When a potential buyer arrives to view I joke with a smiling face and loud voice "Now you haven't forgotten your money, have you?" Usually enough to get the message across...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    Once had one on gumtree. Interested in the guitar. A bit of back and forth, and we settle on a price. Guy promptly disappears. Pops up a few weeks later, asking for my best price..
    Reminded him we’d already agreed on a price. He didn’t come back. I probably blocked him. Sold it eventually, wasn’t in a rush..
    Is Gumtree twinned with Arsehole Central?  I can't say that I've heard many success stories, if any, relating to it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive sold loads of things via Gumtree- mostly with little bother. It's just the weird sales that stand out in the memory. 
     I don't think Gumtree is any worse than anywhere else. The percentage of idiots is probably consistent across selling platforms.

Gumtree just has a MUCH larger number of potential buyers & 10% of this is a huge number. 
    Also you have no relationship with the buyer. On Facebook groups or forums you're much more likely to interact with the same person again, so I think everyone behaves "better". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Just say, "No thanks" then ask them "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Worst experience I've ever had was on a Facebook group, selling a totally kosher Gibson SG Special, (the one with the ebony board, white finish, gold hardware 1999?) bought from the same FB group, as it happens.. Got a load of 'experts' calling 'fake' and 'chibson' and all sorts of unpleasantness. Sold it offline to a mate who knows more about Gibson's than most folk. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ive only had good experiences with gumtree. Plenty of low ball and stupid offers and requests to meet/post which i dont do. but the ones who actually make it to my door have all been good, paid the agreed price and been no problem.