Helix LT - Possible to do it all ? Advice please.

What's Hot
jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208

I am contemplating a Helix LT with the intention of using it as the basis for the following:

• Use at home with mixer ( Allen & Heath Zedi 10 FX)and studio monitors(2 x Genelec 8020a)
  • Use at home with I mac,mixer  & studio monitors to record
  • Platform along with the mixer to host open mic nights at pub.
  • Platform to use with mixer and powered monitors to perform mainly as an acoustic duo but with possibility of including others (guitar, bass, keyboard etc on occasion, but not in a full full band context) 
Is this possible/advisable?

If so what would anyone recommend as powered monitors to fulfil all these requirements and what sort of cost is involved?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jim.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Hi Jim
    persobally I think you would be better with the full floor if only because of the I/O
    everything you say is possible but you might start running out of inputs on an LT and for the difference in cost .. it would be a no brained for me
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    Cabicular said:
    Hi Jim
    persobally I think you would be better with the full floor if only because of the I/O
    everything you say is possible but you might start running out of inputs on an LT and for the difference in cost .. it would be a no brained for me
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds good. Any recommendations re monitors/speakers & cost?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you're using a mixer as well, what's the point in routing everything through the Helix?  If you're just use the Helix for guitar and bass and stick acoustic, keys and box through the desk you'll be fine with the LT, but agree the not huge price does difference makes the full Helix a better choice.

speakers, Yamaha DXR10 12s or RCF 712a would do be a good choice, but there are other good ones out there too
    John_A said:
    If you're using a mixer as well, what's the point in routing everything through the Helix?  If you're just use the Helix for guitar and bass and stick acoustic, keys and box through the desk you'll be fine with the LT, but agree the not huge price does difference makes the full Helix a better choice.

speakers, Yamaha DXR10 12s or RCF 712a would do be a good choice, but there are other good ones out there too
    I run acoustic through the Helix, it has some nice FX and I quite like blending in an IR
    Alto speakers are generally well regarded though I use the Line6 L2s
    for our small Pa we have a couple of Turbosound Ip2000s and they are great
  • My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Thanks for the heads up - Unfortunately wrong end of the country.

John_A said:

Excellent. Thanks.
    Cabicular said:
    John_A said:

I run acoustic through the Helix, it has some nice FX and I quite like blending in an IR
    Yes, I use my Helix for acoustic too, and those are certainly good reasons to do that.

Had a few Alto's and the best I can say is 'great for the money'  PA gear is certainly an area where you get what you pay for
    John_A said:
    Cabicular said:
    John_A said:

Yes, I use my Helix for acoustic too, and those are certainly good reasons to do that.

Had a few Alto's and the best I can say is 'great for the money'  PA gear is certainly an area where you get what you pay for
    Very useful - How good is the Turbosound ? I would only need enough power for a busy pub, nothing larger.

Excuse my ignorance "blending in an IR" What is an IR ?
    Turbosound are excellent speakers, as are RCF, the top-end Yamahas and others
    IR = Impulse Response(a digital capture of a frequency response) you can use an IR to simulate anything that makes a noise, in this application you would use an IR of a top drawer acoustic guitar that was professionally mic'd up and that EQ curve would be applied to your acoustic guitar signal making it sound dead good :)
    John_A said:
    Turbosound are excellent speakers, as are RCF, the top-end Yamahas and others
    IR = Impulse Response(a digital capture of a frequency response) you can use an IR to simulate anything that makes a noise, in this application you would use an IR of a top drawer acoustic guitar that was professionally mic'd up and that EQ curve would be applied to your acoustic guitar signal making it sound dead good :)
    Great thanks.

• Shameless plug...there’s a Helix Rack & Control available in the classifieds  =)
    Shameless plug...there’s a Helix Rack & Control available in the classifieds  =)
    If you were closer I would be interested to explore the possibilities but don't really know yet if it is the right way to go. If I do go down that route I would think it would be the floor unit - either full fat or possibly LT.
    I went into Andertons this morning & tried one. Fantastic bit of kit but far too involved and too many bells and whistles for my needs.
    Grateful for all the input.
    jimkehoe said:
    I went into Andertons this morning & tried one. Fantastic bit of kit but far too involved and too many bells and whistles for my needs.
    Find it funny when people say it does too much, you don't have to use it all.  I use mine for clean, hairy, crunch and lead with a few effects now and then.  It's made a world of difference to our live sound and set-up time and wouldn't be without it. Lugging a 'proper' amp and board around just to sound worse :)  
    John_A said:
    jimkehoe said:
    Find it funny when people say it does too much, you don't have to use it all.  I use mine for clean, hairy, crunch and lead with a few effects now and then.  It's made a world of difference to our live sound and set-up time and wouldn't be without it. Lugging a 'proper' amp and board around just to sound worse :)  
    Fully understand that. I mainly play at home so lugging the amp is not so much of a problem. But I just think I would spend more time tweaking than playing.
    jimkehoe said:
    John_A said:
    jimkehoe said:
    Fully understand that. I mainly play at home so lugging the amp is not so much of a problem. But I just think I would spend more time tweaking than playing.
    Call me a Helix fanboy ;)  but I now spend way more time playing than tweaking than I ever did with a real amp and pedals.  I just plug it in, it sounds great and I play.

Buy a used one, you won't lose much, if anything on it and give it a try
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I am wavering again - I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite sure!

Wasted much more time on You tube and again beginning to think a helix could be used for what I want/need despite probably never needing or using 85%+ of it's capabilities.
    Also have found I can get hold of a Line 6 L3T for reasonable money. I thought this might be used as  a mini PA for acoustic duo stuff and open mic but also double as the outlet for a Helix.
    Anyone got any experience or thoughts re the L3t with acoustic and/or a Helix?
    jimkehoe said:

Wasted much more time on You tube and again beginning to think a helix could be used for what I want/need despite probably never needing or using 85%+ of it's capabilities.
    Also have found I can get hold of a Line 6 L3T for reasonable money. I thought this might be used as  a mini PA for acoustic duo stuff and open mic but also double as the outlet for a Helix.
    It’s heavy but it sounds fantastic
    much better that the L2 
    i would have one with me all the time if I could be arsed carrying it around

Cabicular said:
    jimkehoe said:

It’s heavy but it sounds fantastic
    much better that the L2 
    i would have one with me all the time if I could be arsed carrying it around

Picked it up last night. You're not kidding about it being heavy !
    I am tempted to find an L2 just because of the weight but you may have dissuaded me now. Are they vastly different?

Helix LT arrives tomorrow !
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9605
    edited April 2018
    I’ve got to say, I’ve had a few hours now with the Helix HX, and it is superb.

Ive always had an issue with the verbs and delays, but the new update is superb.

Ive been a long term Strymon timeline and Big Sky fan, and they are superior, but the HX is very good indeed

So, Jim, have a good play with the FX alone - excellent 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom