Best clip on tuner?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
Quick question, which is the best clip on tuner? Or like which ones are considered top tier? Is the Polytune still the daddy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958

I need a new one as well. Been using the Korg Pitchhawk for a few years but the LCD has gone in places. I did get the little Planet Waves NS micro clip the other week but it's a bit too small and hard to fit to some guitars and be properly visible as the angle adjustment is only horizontal, plus, it has no padding on the clip just hard plastic, so I think it's a bit naff really.

I was looking at the Perterson StroboClip, which is expensive, or the latest Korg one; the PitchCrow. The TC one doesn't appear to have the 360 type angle adjustment either and the clip looks a bit industrial to me.

• jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    I’ve owned a number of Intellitouch, Snark, D’addario etc clip-ons. Recently got the Polytune and for me it’s a cut above the others in terms of accuracy. Nice form factor too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    edited April 2018
    I don't know if they're the best or not, but I've never had a problem with Snark.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    jhumber said:
    I’ve owned a number of Intellitouch, Snark, D’addario etc clip-ons. Recently got the Polytune and for me it’s a cut above the others in terms of accuracy. Nice form factor too.
    Me too and agree it's great
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Polytune clip for me.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2018
    My only reservation with the Polytune clip is that it seems limited in its positioning? You basically have to have it on the end poking outward from the headstock face?

The Snark ST8 is only £13, not £40, and uses vibration not sound, so I'm tempted by that.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    +1 for the red-hot Polytune love-in.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I have a few Snarks. I like 'em although I broke the head off one recently grabbing it too aggressively.

They also seem to need a battery replacement every 2 years or so. Still much cheaper than the Polytune though. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15619
    I know a number of people who use snarks with no issues at all (the ones that work on vibration are ideal for acoustic instruments in noisy environments) but I don't seem to be one, they always seem to stop working for me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Peterson. 

Job done.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Jack_ said:
    My only reservation with the Polytune clip is that it seems limited in its positioning? You basically have to have it on the end poking outward from the headstock face?

Well you can have it poking out at the back if you like.
  • Just to add more Snark love - the one I broke had spent 2 years or so living in a gig bag external pocket so this probably didn't do it any favours. It was also mostly used on a banjo so maybe it just had enough.

Another one I've had for about 4 years which hasn't had to endure the banjo or gig bag is still going strong although the LED is hard to read in bright rooms which seems to mean its new battery time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Snark for me also. Have two, one is 5 years old and still going strong. Did have a Fender, as did a mate. Both were crap!
    Is the Polytune a step above the Snark? Just going by price... one is £13, the other is £40.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I have a snark that's been working for over 6 years. So no complaints here. But if I had to buy again, which I probably will, it's going to be the polytune.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    I just picked up a Snark Supertight for around £14 and it's great. Also have the Polytune which is a cut above but is around £40+
    bazxkr said:
    I just picked up a Snark Supertight for around £14 and it's great. Also have the Polytune which is a cut above but is around £40+
    What about it makes it a cut above?
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    The Polytune is the best I've tried but I do think it's very overpriced.  The polytune feature is ok to quickly check you're still in tune, but if you're out it's more accurate to tune strings individually so it's a bit of an unnecessary luxury.

For most practical purposes a Snark is just as good and about a quarter of the price, although the Polytune looks much cooler.

Usually if I find a tuner I like I end up buying a few, but I haven't been able to justify paying more than 40 quid a pop for a handful of tuners.

There's the Unitune option at around £29 which doesn't have the polytune feature and may be better vfm but it means you're still paying 3 times as much as for a good, functional tuner for a second tier model.

There seems to be a gap in the market for someone to come up with a solution that matches the Polytune for style but sells for closer to the price of other clip-ons.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited April 2018
    I have a Snark and a Polytune Clip. The Polytune is great, seems very sturdy and easy to use, but I paid £20 for it when they were not long out, sorry but there's no chance I'd pay £40 for one. I think the Snark was £7, it does the job perfectly well.

I really like the way you can strum and see all the notes at once, but it's just way too much money for a clip on tuner.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11345
    I have a couple of Snarks andf they do seem to vary from guitar to guitar - good with some, less good with others.