Best clip on tuner?

What's Hot

Comments

• BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    I was unimpressed with my polytune - until I mislaid it and started using other tuners which were not nearly so good. I was considering forking out £40 for a replacement before I found it again. I shall have to watch out for the special offers when polytunes go for £20 and I'll get a couple
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    I had a Guitar Man one which was just about OK. Now have a couple of Snarks and find them excellent to the point of not bothering with my Boss TU-3 anymore.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    +1 for Snark. Never had any problems with it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I have a D"Adario & a couple of the Reverb ones, which they were doing for £2 not so long ago.
    I must admit I prefer the £2 Reverb ones. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2018
    I have a £2 Reverb one, but I find it can be pretty poor at picking up strings, hence why I want something better.

I think that using vibrations rather than sound so I can tune with background noise is essential for me. So really it's between the Snark Super Tight or a TC Polytune / Unitune. I prefer the design of the TC, but it feels a bit like Apple vs Android, both function well, but you're paying lot extra for the TC for the aesthetic? I'd snap one up all day long nearer £20, but £40 just feels a lot, what makes it 3 times the price of the Snark?
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I find the Reverb one excellent.
    Nice clear easily seen screen, better than my D"Adario.
    Accuracy wise I have checked it against the tuner in my Zoom G3XN & it is spot on.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Only ever used the polytune but it's good.

The actual polytune feature isn't accurate on mine though but I never use that anyway w
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I've got a Polytune but bought it on a Black Friday deal after a PSA on here. I don't know if I'd pay full price for one.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    Have only used polytune clip on as reviews were excellent and I saw someone using in a guitar shop and seemed great.  I had plug ins before but the polytune is loads more accurate.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've had Korg, snark and polytune

The snarks are ok but they seem to die eventually. Replacement batteries have never bought my old snarks back from the dead.
    The Korg system is nice, less clumsy than the snark and works well. 
    The polytune for me is the best though. I actively use that over everything else, even over the helix generally
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    I prefer the Korgs
    I'd sell my Petersen tbh
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    edited April 2018
    Jack_ said:
    My only reservation with the Polytune clip is that it seems limited in its positioning? You basically have to have it on the end poking outward from the headstock face?

The Snark ST8 is only £13, not £40, and uses vibration not sound, so I'm tempted by that.
    +1 on having it poking out at the back. Feels like a much more natural position, easier to read than poking out at the front. And the superb TC gyroscopic flatulence means it reads either way. 

Also better if the hautience can't see your process fully. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Tried em all.... Peterson for me by far
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5509
    The one that's worked best for me - over many years - is the Fender FT-004 which cost me less than a tenner.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    merlin said:
    Jack_ said:
    My only reservation with the Polytune clip is that it seems limited in its positioning? You basically have to have it on the end poking outward from the headstock face?

The Snark ST8 is only £13, not £40, and uses vibration not sound, so I'm tempted by that.
    +1 on having it poking out at the back. Feels like a much more natural position, easier to read than poking out at the front. And the superb TC gyroscopic flatulence means it reads either way. 

Does it smell?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    merlin said:
    Jack_ said:

The poly tune is so good that its gyroscopic flatulence doesn't even stink
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    thegummy said:
    The poly tune is so good that its gyroscopic flatulence doesn't even stink
    It does. Of roses....
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I would recommend the Korg Pitchclip, but it's really expensive now. I picked mine up for £5, but it looks like it's at least £8 now, with the Pitchcrow being only £15 it just doesn't seem worth it.

The Pitchclip doesn't have any features, but it's pretty accurate and the battery lasts forever.