Tremol-No / Floyd Rose and Drop D

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Handsome_Chris said:

I think I've seen that before.  Someone said that it was photoshopped.
    I've posted it before, although it's not mine. No reason to think it is photoshopped, it would work perfectly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Handsome_Chris said:

I've posted it before, although it's not mine. No reason to think it is photoshopped, it would work perfectly.
    I would be a bit concerned that it would be a bit rattly when it's not doing the pull up thing.  Also once it's fitted, does it adjust?  If you have the trem adjusted to have a certain amount of pull up, then decide to change it, does the shed latch thingy have to be remounted?
  • ICBM said:
    Handsome_Chris said:

I would be a bit concerned that it would be a bit rattly when it's not doing the pull up thing.  Also once it's fitted, does it adjust?  If you have the trem adjusted to have a certain amount of pull up, then decide to change it, does the shed latch thingy have to be remounted?

I guess you could adjust it by putting one or more layers of tape on the trem block.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited April 2018
    ICBM said:
    Handsome_Chris said:

I guess you could adjust it by putting one or more layers of tape on the trem block.
    Won't the tape compress over time?

Edit: Also what if it's standing proud?
    Handsome_Chris said:

It would, yes - although depending on the type of bridge that may not be important. A Floyd Rose should always be set with the baseplate parallel to the body really, in which case the position of the block and the bolt will always be the same.

I think to stop it rattling you would need to have a small amount of positive pressure against it, which would mean that you couldn't engage or disengage it on the fly without retuning since the block would then move, by however small an amount.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I would say that the Tremel-no has another advantage on these other solutions in that you can hardtail a guitar in seconds.  Am I wrong in believing this?
    I would say that the Tremel-no has another advantage on these other solutions in that you can hardtail a guitar in seconds.  Am I wrong in believing this?
    In theory you can. In practice I found it very difficult to go to the lock mode without disturbing the position of the bridge slightly, which then requires re-tuning... and then again when you release it.

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited April 2018
    @ICBM, interesting stuff.  I would not have thought that it can be done, as I thought that the bridge would move forward when the strings were being bended, unlike the Tremel-no system which can I can hardtail in seconds.  But if these bracket things can do the exact same thing for a fraction of the price, crack on.

Wisdom awarded
    @ICBM, interesting stuff.  I would not have thought that it can be done, as I though that the bridge would move forward when the strings were being bended, unlike the Tremel-no system which can I can hardtail in seconds.  But if these bracket things can do the exact same thing for a fraction of the price, crack on.
    It won't stop the detuning when bending strings, no - that's not really what the original question was about, which was how to allow dropped tunings on a floating trem.

I think the reason there are so many different designs of these things is because there are not only different reasons for fitting them, it's very difficult to make them work perfectly and seamlessly.

But there is one that will... the original Hipshot Trem-Setter. BUT - it's an absolute pain to fit and set up, not helped by the supplied instructions, and the two separate hooks for the springs. I did mine differently, by modifying the original claw, and set it up totally differently from recommended, so it was almost on the point of float going down (no real resistance for downbends with the arm, but just enough to stop double-stops going out of tune) and as stiff as possible going up. It worked so well that once adjusted right I never had to touch it again, and it worked flawlessly - even on the couple of times I broke a string it held the others in tune.

As you can see it only just fitted! And left almost no room for adjusting the claw, although if necessary I could have enlarged the cutout in it. And it does require drilling the guitar.

• I was sorely tempted by the Trem-Setter, but reviews I read at the time were a not filling me with confidence. It sounds like you got it to work, but not the way the manufacturers suggest,
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 226
    Would something like a Digitech Drop help? 

I've been using one for the past year and it's changed my gigging life infinitely for the better!  No more detuning or switching guitars mid-set.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I haven't heard of these things, sounds interesting!

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I just noticed there’s a guy in Rotherham selling a D Tuna on the UK Guitar Amp Gear Facebook page
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    OK, thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure if I want one just yet, I'll see how this bracket thing goes first I reckon.