Knotweed 1 Humans 0

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
It appears that officially we can't kill the stuff! The world is doomed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-43882916

I'm surprised that in this day and age we can't defeat a plant.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I thought glyphosate kills it? The article suggests only weak solutions were used. Stem injections I believe are a recommended method for tackling it. Either that or fire!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    My dad killed it with Jeyes Fluid and digging.  Lots of digging.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    rsvmark said:
    I thought glyphosate kills it? The article suggests only weak solutions were used. Stem injections I believe are a recommended method for tackling it. Either that or fire!
    Trouble is Glyphosate is being phased out in the next few years due to EU rulings, although I imagine professional gardner’s will still be able to buy and use it. You can dig knotweed out but it’s a never ending job because if there’s the tiniest bit of root left the bastard stuff will come back. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    The Key quote is here:
    The trials covered the four main herbicide groups used in weed control. The chemical found to be the most effective was glyphosate. However, very low doses were applied - the lowest of all the other herbicides used.

If you water down the one effective chemical it will reach a point where it is no longer effective and might even help the plant develope a resistance?

Glyphosate is used a lot in food production and growing levels of residue in our bodies (and the animals we might eat) are a concern. Not using the one effective control on knotweed seems silly given that it presently only occupies a small area of the country. If it expands because of a lack of control we'll potentially have to use far more in the future.

Anyway all plants need access to sunlight, denying that over a prolonged period will kill any plant. the trick is to contain the runs of roots where you can monitor the shoots and hack them back.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459

That article doesn't seem to mention this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4546960/Plant-eating-insect-finally-kill-Japanese-knotweed.html

Once we leave the EU, and can make our own rules.  We could keep using Glyphospate on Knotweed even if it is banned for general use.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    crunchman said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4546960/Plant-eating-insect-finally-kill-Japanese-knotweed.html

Once we leave the EU, and can make our own rules.  We could keep using Glyphospate on Knotweed even if it is banned for general use.

Although in all fairness, I'm sure it is banned for being nasty stuff that we shouldn't be chucking all over the environment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    crunchman said:

Although in all fairness, I'm sure it is banned for being nasty stuff that we shouldn't be chucking all over the environment.

We've been chucking it all over the environment for decades.

We need to stop indiscriminate use - especially in food production - but targeted use on specific knotweed sites should be ok.  The problem is that monolithic EU rules won't allow for that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Glysophate is a known carcinogen ( even thoght the 'who ' tried to hide the fact .... filthy stuff

japanese knotweed has a health benefit, its high in resveratrol in fact i think significantly higher than red wine , great for circulation heart health and insulin stability .... 1-1  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    west said:
    Glysophate is a known carcinogen ( even thoght the 'who ' tried to hide the fact .... filthy stuff

japanese knotweed has a health benefit, its high in resveratrol in fact i think significantly higher than red wine , great for circulation heart health and insulin stability .... 1-1  ;)
    Red wine doesn’t knock your house down though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    The EU voted to keep using Glysophate at the end of last year
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9815
    In fairness, it can't kill us either so it's more like a score draw at most
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

Just googled and found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/24/eu-brink-historic-decision-pervasive-glyphosate-weedkiller

Seems to cover most of the issues.

Use of the stuff needs to be restricted, but if it's the only thing that kills knotweed then if it's injected into the plant rather than sprayed, it's not going to do too much harm.  Given the amount of the stuff that has been indiscriminately used over the last 40 plus years, a small amount of targeted use shouldn't cause any significant problems.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4722
    ;) axisus said:

I'm surprised that in this day and age we can't defeat a plant.

Problem is it's everywhere, you'd have to fight it everywhere all the time, which just isn't practical.

In fairness, it can't kill us either so it's more like a score draw at most

Not directly but its effects can be dangerous. Its root system can easily push over a brick wall or damage a concrete bridge.  The trouble is by the time it's found, the damage has often been done. 

So I'd say a Knotweed win, penalty shootout after extra time ;)

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I called shotgun on Knotweed as a band name ages ago.

As for how to kill it... did they try fire? Or Agent Orange? Or nuking it from space to be on the safe side?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Bucket said:

As for how to kill it... did they try fire? Or Agent Orange? Or nuking it from space to be on the safe side?
    Fire makes it stronger as it kills off the competition but not the knotweed. It's truly horrible stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    My in laws just contributed 50% of a £4K bill to have in removed from a neighbours property.  This included initial removal and multiple treatments over a few years and a guarantee they will repeat the process if it returns within a certain timeframe.

they reported it to the neighbour, who just chopped it back.  It was stressing the MIL so much they offered to contribute to its removal and subsequent treatment 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Garthy said:
    Bucket said:

Fire makes it stronger as it kills off the competition but not the knotweed. It's truly horrible stuff.
    Wow, shit.

Does strengthen its cause as a name for a metal band though, I have to say.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7342
    edited April 2018
    Just Had a BRILLUANT IDEA!!!!

Terraform MARS with it!!

http://www.fryxgames.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/TMbox.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My brother had a large patch growing in his garden. He chopped it down to ground level, carefully bagging the cuttings which he then burnt. Then injected a shit load of Glysophate into the exposed cut root ends. Two years later he's had no grow-back so hopefully that's the end of the problem.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    It could be a useful food - tastes like rhubarb when cooked and as a poster mentioned above, it's good for you!