Your weird foibles

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9815
    edited April 2018
    proggy said:

I cannot bear to be in the same room as a noisy eater or someone who chews gum, and I always let them know too

Believe this is called misophonia, and I'm very much the same though I myself chew gum (quietly!). I'm also extremely jumpy in quiet situations as I'm rather too susceptible to quiet but sudden noises, which I assume is linked.

I get unreasonably irritable if I'm playing music and somebody talks to me without waiting for the end of a phrase. That said I often finish on the penultimate chord when playing a piano piece for somebody to see if they get all angsty about it not having finished properly, but I think that's me trying to get revenge.

I absolutely cannot stop myself singing "Tell me how you fell about me, buy my own diamonds and I buy my own rings" if somebody starts talking to me with the word "Question..."

The mere thought of the sound of polystyrene being broken makes me wriggle.

Edit, just remembered my almost phobia of Pudsey Bear and Baggie Bird

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Add me to the 'not-liking-going-out-with-work-colleagues' column. I get along with mine just fine and they're all smashing people, but apart from maybe one or two in the whole building I have absolutely nothing in common with any of them. I'd hate to want to be stuck on a packed table in a restaurant or bar trying to conjure up small talk while playing tiddlywinks with my peas, or even worse - talk about work outside work hours. I'd probably have a few too many drinks to let loose a little bit, then I'll probably say something I'll regret.

I always count steps whenever I climb up/down the stairs.

The feeling of a very dry sponge makes my flesh crawl. Especially on my back. Nnnnghghhhh...

I'm an avid illustrator/drawer, so I sometimes draw things in the air. Most of the time it's when I'm alone but sometimes people catch me and they think I'm a right fucking looney.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I dislike work ‘do’s’ although mostly because you realise the only thing you have in common is work and you spend an evening talking about it. 

This. Hardly a foible, more a natural reluctance to engage in social occasions that are tedious as fuck.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    My satnav has a two note 'bing-bong' that plays just before it announces anything. It's the exact two notes and tempo from the beginning of the Itchy and Scratchy theme in The Simpsons - impossible not to carry on singing that song.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    WezV said:
    Kilgore said:
    WezV said:
    Kilgore said:
    I'm massively OCD about shopping. Everything must go in the correct bag.  Theres a meat bag, fruit and veg bag, tin bag, etc, etc. It's a disater if I get home and find a packet of rice in the dairy bag.
    I'm not particularly OCD about anything else, just the shopping.

Pretty normal in most other respects, apart from the bodies under the patio.
    But what about weight distribution.   Surely it’s more important to have tins and bottles at the bottom and fruit and yeh at the top???
    Heretic!
    I am assuming you have never had to carry a weekly shop very far
    Not for many years. But when I first got together with my wife we had neither a car nor spare cash for taxis. I used to carry a full shop over half a mile home.

I'm not proud of it, but on one occasion I commandeered (nicked) a trolley to take it home.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    I really enjoy a spontaneous glance of  all the 11.11's and especially all the 22.22's and in the later instance envisage a row of Ducks ....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987
    I also struggle with social events, having to interact with people I don't know very well.  And I hate going into public places I've never visited before if I'm on my own - pubs and restaurants are the worst, but even offices and shops can stress me out.

I hate getting on to crowded tubes or trains, to the extent that I'll wait ages for a less busy one.  Which can be a bit difficult if I'm with other people.

I'm not sure these are foibles, though, more to do with shyness and awkwardness.  I used to think of it as claustrophobia, but with people rather than enclosed spaces, but the last couple of years I've heard the term "social anxiety" which seems to fit.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4800
    I've got a mild form of claustrophobia - I can't be in small spaces where I don't have the space to move my body or have something very close to my face. That means I'm unable to go into an MRI scanner - even the flat ones - and I'd hate waking up in my own coffin. I went on the Mount Pleasant Post Office underground railway trip last year and had to ask them to stop and let me off - it's a small train and my head and shoulders were squashed against the canopy (which, for our own safety was locked from the outside). 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2977

I have a fear of Sandwiches.

I can't answer a telephone. If you call me I won't answer it, I'll call you back.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7342
    the touch of velvet with my fingers makes me run cold and slightly nauseous
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I'm also absolutely shit scared of ventriloquist dummies.

yeah me too - but I am more than happy for Nina Conti to get her Monkey out!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/h8tieDMDxww/0.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I’m a compulsive liar.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    The worst I saw was my mates girlfriend - she had to eat smarties in a particular colour order, and if she got it wrong she would make herself sick....

Once I saw that level of OCD, everything I did seemed quite normal! 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6698
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    When two forks are trapped together. 

It is one of the few things that goes straight through me. When a fork is spooning it's fine. Then they are interlaced facing each other it makes me shudder and i have to put the forks back in the draw and get another. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    edited April 2018
    WezV said:
    Kilgore said:
    I'm massively OCD about shopping. Everything must go in the correct bag.  Theres a meat bag, fruit and veg bag, tin bag, etc, etc. It's a disater if I get home and find a packet of rice in the dairy bag.
    I'm not particularly OCD about anything else, just the shopping.

Pretty normal in most other respects, apart from the bodies under the patio.
    But what about weight distribution.   Surely it’s more important to have tins and bottles at the bottom and fruit and yeh at the top???
    See you need to talk to my wife @WezV she simply will not accept that shopping should be packed by weight not foodtypes.

"the touch of velvet with my fingers makes me run cold and slightly nauseous"

Fingers are fine the thought of putting velvet or a towel in my mouth makes me nervous/sick.

I have to run up stairs, never walk.
    I can't stand listening to people eat unless I like them.
    I don't like anyone but my wife or kids in my personal space, I hate friends/family who want to hug.

My son is autistic, he has some belters, if he hurts/bumps/grazes one hand, arm or leg he has to do the other one regardless of the pain. He sleeps with a DS, a dvd player and a tv all on with different things playing.  He can't wear long sleeves except for coats and has to bite buttons off of polo shirts are a few of them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So the horror for me ,  metal on teeth , when someone puts a fork in their mouth and proceeds to scrape it against their teeth for the length of the tines aaarrrggghh ... i cannot touch my teeth with metal without it feeling like touching your tongue on a 9v battery , as you can imagine going to the dentist is not fun ....

side lol ..( a womans arsehole is like a 9v battery ... You know you shouldn't, but sooner or later you're going to put your tongue on it... )
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    That means I'm unable to go into an MRI scanner -
    I'm with you there. I had to have an MRI a few years ago and I had a full on panic attack about 10 seconds in. I completely forgot the emergency button in my hand I was just shouting GET ME OUT GET ME OUT GET ME OUT! Took me an hour to calm down. Never again ....
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    axisus said:
    I'm very confident and chatty with work colleagues, but I HATE the thought of going out to eat with them, eg some team thing at a restaurant. I'll do anything to get out of it, it seems to fill me with much anxiety for some reason. 

I sometimes wonder if there is a hint of autism with some of these things.
    Same thing here.  I've worked for the same company for more than 10 years and have never gone to any company social event.

I generally can't do idle small talk if there's no purpose to it, and I intensely dislike that oppressing blanket of background white noise which always seem to feature in social settings.  It makes me feel anxious and I can physically feel how my brain wants to shut down.  So I simply avoid it whenever I possibly can.  It's just too exhausting.

Meetings - I struggle to follow, but luckily don't often have to attend any.

Unexpected phone calls.

Clutter.  My wife loves having lots of useless shit and rearranging it every now and so often, and it stresses me out.  But does she listen?  No.

I prefer to drink water from a large bowl, as opposed to a cup or a glass.  I don't actually often do it, but that would be my preference.  I guess that's quite weird.

Before I leave the house in the mornings I have to ramble off a list of the stuff I should have with me (wallet, keys, travel card, etc).  Over the years there have been some additions to the list, but nothing ever gets deleted from it even for things I don't need to take anymore. 

Autism - I suspect we all have it (whatever it really is) to some degree.
    57Deluxe said:
    proggy said:

I'm also absolutely shit scared of ventriloquist dummies.

yeah me too - but I am more than happy for Nina Conti to get her Monkey out!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/h8tieDMDxww/0.jpg

wiz ... i love her ! and i would love to stroke her monkey !!  but would have to put a mentals block on her hairy Dad eeu .....