Timing and Justifying an expensive purchase.

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
I have always wanted a vintage les paul junior.

I probably search online quite a few times a week for them.

But not being a single man I do have to be smart as I am currently buying a place. 

So, I think a suitable time would be settled in the new place, have x amount in the bank and have holidays booked then buy it and a few other things are paid off.

or option B wait for a milestone birthday.

How do I convince somebody else that buying a guitar of this price is justified? should I go for the it's an investment angle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    Not at that level of cost but I justified buying a decent guitar for my 40th, my wife would have been okay anyway I think it was more to myself than her.  The surprising result of it was she now doesn't mention smaller purchases that she might have done before, it changed her preconceptions of reasonable amount to spend.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I will use the old give her a fake price excuse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited April 2018
    Yep, the bigger amounts you spend the more you move the goalposts about what a guitar costs, so my girl now doesnt bat an eyelid when I spend shedloads on a guitar. I bought something expensive for my 40th, glad I did because a few months later the price rocketed.Dont worry about justifying stuff, that's all bullshit, if you want it, get it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    You can't take money to your grave and this purchase will make you happy. Also, being a used vintage instrument, you will not lose much money when selling it down the line, or might even make some money. If you sell it 4 years later for say £300 less than you paid for it, then it cost you £75 per year to own and play this instrument. That's a cheap hobby. A lot of men will spend that in booze every month (or more!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    carlos said:
    You can't take money to your grave and this purchase will make you happy. Also, being a used vintage instrument, you will not lose much money when selling it down the line, or might even make some money. If you sell it 4 years later for say £300 less than you paid for it, then it cost you £75 per year to own and play this instrument. That's a cheap hobby. A lot of men will spend that in booze every month (or more!).
    Good point, I don't even drink!

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Life is too short, if you can afford it and the boss is happy then do it soon, 2 weeks ago my other half was in intensive care, you never know when life can change, do it! as soon as you can and enjoy it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    If it's money that you earned and saved I don't see the need to justify it. If you're neglecting other things to do it (sounds like you aren't) that's a different matter. 
     I don't buy "expensive" stuff, most I've paid is £500 for a guitar.  there's a rule with me and wifey, if the moneys saved and you can afford it without plunging into more debt then no arguments can be had. Goes for both of us. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

•  Buy it,have a mass "punch up" with the missus.She'll not speak to you for three days.(more time to play your new guitar) She'll come round eventually. Life will move on. You have you're new guitar!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    adamm82 said:
    But not being a single man I do have to be smart as I am currently buying a place. 
    Just negotiate a couple of thou off the price of the house (or convince your other half that you have negotiated a couple of thou off) and then there’s the money for the guitar.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Family, bills and a roof over your head come first.

After that, well it's up to you, as has been said earlier, you cannot take it with you.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14268
    tFB Trader
    many will look at it in different ways - income and expenditure will always come into place, plus priorities on other issues

Bottom line is if you can afford it you don't need to justify it - If you can't afford it then you can't justify it

An other angle is what pleasure it will give you for 10 years and hopefully more - Of course £5000 or so is a lot of money - but £5000 over 10 years equates to 

£500 a year - or £41.66 a month - so just over a £1 a day - repeat a £1 a day - that is less than a s*it coffee from any main street coffee shop - Now is it expensive ? - and bare in mind at the end of 10 years you still have all the collateral in the guitar and probably more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

A friend was diagnosed with lung cancer, 5 weeks later he was gone.

A couple of years ago he bought the Les Paul he had always wanted. At least he had it for a couple of years.

If you can do it, then do it. You never know what is around the corner.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Use it to earn money? 
  • many will look at it in different ways - income and expenditure will always come into place, plus priorities on other issues

Bottom line is if you can afford it you don't need to justify it - If you can't afford it then you can't justify it

An other angle is what pleasure it will give you for 10 years and hopefully more - Of course £5000 or so is a lot of money - but £5000 over 10 years equates to 

£500 a year - or £41.66 a month - so just over a £1 a day - repeat a £1 a day - that is less than a s*it coffee from any main street coffee shop - Now is it expensive ? - and bare in mind at the end of 10 years you still have all the collateral in the guitar and probably more
    I came into this thread with no intention of buying any gear... but I have to say @guitars4you that's quite a convincing argument. 

I'm sold! 

tFB Trader
    many will look at it in different ways - income and expenditure will always come into place, plus priorities on other issues

I came into this thread with no intention of buying any gear... but I have to say @guitars4you that's quite a convincing argument. 

I'm sold! 

@carlos had a similar thought pattern above - the only negative is you have to have the spare £5k to start of with 
  • many will look at it in different ways - income and expenditure will always come into place, plus priorities on other issues

I'm sold! 

Yeah... but Mark is a professional at this kind of thing!  ;-)
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    1. Lie
    2. Get it delivered to work/bring it home when she's not in. Claim youve always had it or that youve painted another of your guitars.

I have always wanted a vintage les paul junior.

I probably search online quite a few times a week for them.

So, I think a suitable time would be settled in the new place, have x amount in the bank and have holidays booked then buy it and a few other things are paid off.

or option B wait for a milestone birthday.

How do I convince somebody else that buying a guitar of this price is justified? should I go for the it's an investment an
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    mart said:
    adamm82 said:
    Just negotiate a couple of thou off the price of the house (or convince your other half that you have negotiated a couple of thou off) and then there’s the money for the guitar.
    :) I was thinking of sneaking it through. 

This is great. £5000 is actually what I had in mind so you've even worked it all out for me. If I get it any cheaper I will use the spare cash on other items like drugs and hookers.
    tFB Trader
    adamm82 said:

This is great. £5000 is actually what I had in mind so you've even worked it all out for me. If I get it any cheaper I will use the spare cash on other items like drugs and hookers.
    now the balance - don't buy the first one you see if it isn't right - Don't let leave it to long in case you end up needing the funds for something else