Timing and Justifying an expensive purchase.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6064
    p90fool said:
    Use it to earn money? 
    Quick.... smelling salts.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    adamm82 said:
    many will look at it in different ways - income and expenditure will always come into place, plus priorities on other issues

Bottom line is if you can afford it you don't need to justify it - If you can't afford it then you can't justify it

An other angle is what pleasure it will give you for 10 years and hopefully more - Of course £5000 or so is a lot of money - but £5000 over 10 years equates to 

£500 a year - or £41.66 a month - so just over a £1 a day - repeat a £1 a day - that is less than a s*it coffee from any main street coffee shop - Now is it expensive ? - and bare in mind at the end of 10 years you still have all the collateral in the guitar and probably more
    This is great. £5000 is actually what I had in mind so you've even worked it all out for me. If I get it any cheaper I will use the spare cash on other items like drugs and hookers.
    now the balance - don't buy the first one you see if it isn't right - Don't let leave it to long in case you end up needing the funds for something else
    Yep. Unfortunately the one I wanted was in Norms in October when I was in LA. bad timing i shouldn't have tried it really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    many will look at it in different ways - income and expenditure will always come into place, plus priorities on other issues

Bottom line is if you can afford it you don't need to justify it - If you can't afford it then you can't justify it

An other angle is what pleasure it will give you for 10 years and hopefully more - Of course £5000 or so is a lot of money - but £5000 over 10 years equates to 

£500 a year - or £41.66 a month - so just over a £1 a day - repeat a £1 a day - that is less than a s*it coffee from any main street coffee shop - Now is it expensive ? - and bare in mind at the end of 10 years you still have all the collateral in the guitar and probably more
    ^ This, plus the bit in bold absolutely ^ Wis!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    If you buy wisely it's the same as money in the bank. You can always liquidate the asset if necessary. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    It all depends on circumstances. When the kids were small and Mrs S didnt work full time, I had a pay freeze and the mortgage was 12% I had one instrument and got new strings for my birthday. 

When the kids were not in nappies and Mrs S worked full time and I had unlimited overtime I had 4 instruments. 

Now the mortgage is minimal and Mrs S earns more than me and buys a new car and tell me after, I have more gear than a small shop. 

This month alone I bought a Gretsch and a CS Strat and told her after. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited April 2018
    Fishboy7 said:
    If you buy wisely it's the same as money in the bank. You can always liquidate the asset if necessary. 
    This is absolutely right - see my previous post on the subject.
    It's not 'spending' at all - spending is when the money is gone. Your cash balance may be down but your guitar credit is enhanced to the same value. It is asset adjustment. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Fishboy7 said:
    Then I find out it's fake.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom