Wembley Stadium could be sold

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited April 2018 in Off Topic
The FA are currently discussing a bid to sell Wembley to a US tycoon for £800 million so he can host NFL games. The name of the stadium will change and England won't be able to use it all year round so would have to go on the road during the NFL season.

The FA claim they'll have money for grass roots football .. lining their pockets is more likely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43906272

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited April 2018
    If UK taxpayers helped to pay for this stadium then it should not be sold.

£800 million will soon disappear and we would still need a National Stadium.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    They should sell it. No rationally managed organisation sits on an asset worth that much, for it to be used a handful of times a year.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hope they don’t sell it befor the Hollywood Vampires gig
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    jellyroll said:
    They should sell it. No rationally managed organisation sits on an asset worth that much, for it to be used a handful of times a year.
    It gets used all the time - at the moment Tottenham play their home games there and were to be followed by Chelsea when they have Stamford Bridge rebuilt. There are England men's games, women's games as well as the junior teams (U18, U21), FA cup semi-finals and finals for men's and women's teams, Championship play-offs, National League promotion final, , FA Community Shield, Challenge Cup final, Carabao cup, Checktrade Trophy final, rock concerts (Ed Sheeran has four dates there followed by four for Taylor Swift) and a series of NFL games.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9816
    edited April 2018
    West Ham must still be peeing themselves with glee at having paid 60p for the Olympic stadium.

Seemed better when the England matches were played at different stadiums anyway, London gets enough stuff so why not share it around
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited April 2018
    I don't have a huge issue with it being sold actually. No doubt the fans will get fleeced even more though for Cup Final tickets though..
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9816
    quarky said:
    I don't have a huge issue with it being sold actually. No doubt the fans will get fleeced even more though for Cup Final tickets though..
    Serves them right for supporting good teams that win matches. I barely have to even stand up at the matches I go to let alone have to think about buying tickets for cup competitions :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Fretwired said:
    jellyroll said:
    It gets used all the time - at the moment Tottenham play their home games there and were to be followed by Chelsea when they have Stamford Bridge rebuilt. There are England men's games, women's games as well as the junior teams (U18, U21), FA cup semi-finals and finals for men's and women's teams, Championship play-offs, National League promotion final, , FA Community Shield, Challenge Cup final, Carabao cup, Checktrade Trophy final, rock concerts (Ed Sheeran has four dates there followed by four for Taylor Swift) and a series of NFL games.

Yup, my mum lives a couple of miles from Wembley and the side roads round her way get parking restrictions applied by the council whenever there’s something on at the stadium. This seems to be at least 3 or 4 days a week at the moment. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Fretwired said:
    jellyroll said:

Tottenham and Chelsea borrowing it aren’t national football matters are, in any case, pretty much one-offs. Once their stadiums are built, it won’t happen again. 

Concerts, too, are not national football matters and don’t add to the case for keeping  a national stadium - although I accept that the revenue they generate helps balance the books.  

All those other games could still take place at the stadium. It’s just that the venue would be leased as required. And if it wasn’t available - well Tottenham  & Chelsea will have nice new backup stadiums :) , not to mention Arsenal, West Ham and every other Premier League team. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    jellyroll said:
    Fretwired said:
    jellyroll said:

Tottenham and Chelsea borrowing it aren’t national football matters are, in any case, pretty much one-offs. Once their stadiums are built, it won’t happen again. 

Concerts, too, are not national football matters and don’t add to the case for keeping  a national stadium - although I accept that the revenue they generate helps balance the books.  

All those other games could still take place at the stadium. It’s just that the venue would be leased as required. And if it wasn’t available - well Tottenham  & Chelsea will have nice new backup stadiums :) , not to mention Arsenal, West Ham and every other Premier League team. 
    I was merely pointing out that it is used on a regular basis rather than a handful of times. I frankly don't care if they turn it into a Mosque.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited April 2018
    NFL games here > Tottenham play their home games there and were to be followed by Chelsea when they have Stamford Bridge rebuilt, England men's games, women's games as well as the junior teams (U18, U21), FA cup semi-finals and finals for men's and women's teams, Championship play-offs, National League promotion final, , FA Community Shield, Challenge Cup final, Carabao cup, Checktrade Trophy final, rock concerts (Ed Sheeran has four dates there followed by four for Taylor Swift).

IMHO of course.
  • I genuinely couldn't give a flying fuck either way. It's just another soulless Ikea flat pack stadium now. All the character left with the bulldozers. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    It's a fairly simple economic question for the FA.

Besides, i think the national teams ought to play around the country. It brings the games closer to fans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I genuinely couldn't give a flying fuck either way. It's just another soulless Ikea flat pack stadium now. All the character left with the bulldozers. 
    You Sir are right! No twin towers = No Wembley

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9572
    quarky said:
    Serves them right for supporting good teams that win matches. I barely have to even stand up at the matches I go to let alone have to think about buying tickets for cup competitions :)
    Im with you...

As a Q.P.R. fan, Im unlikely to see Wembley for a wee while...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9572

Besides, i think the national teams ought to play around the country. It brings the games closer to fans.
    100%
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Why is he buying it? Is it for the love of English grassroots football and a selfless promotion of American Football outside of the US? He's going to make a profit - pure and simple and there's no reason why those profits can't be made as it now stands. However, a few individuals in the FA who sign the contracts might not personally get as rich.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader

100%
    I can understand Wembley to be used for an England game in a big qualifying game against a major country like Spain etc, but if playing a friendly or a smaller nation like say Andorra then we have a few good/big alternative options - Newcastle, Man U, Liverpool - all over 50K seating - And keep it out of London as well, so no Spurs (next year) or Arsenal or West Ham 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    They take national games around the country in other, er, countries, and I think they should do the same in England.

I'm not sure the sale would be so bad though, from what I've read it doesn't threaten England games at various levels at all, plus the FA would still keep the £300M annual income from their Club Wembley hospitality thing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Is it not being sold at a loss though?? That's what irks me...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?