Help value my Japanese Strat

What's Hot
Milky_ShakeyMilky_Shakey Frets: 5
edited April 2018 in Guitar

Hi All,

Was wandering if anyone can give me a guide value of my Japanese Fender Strat.

I believe it was made in 1987. I've owned it since about 1995, played it for a few years back then, gave up for 20 years and last year dug it out of the loft to rekindle the love!

I find the neck too chunky and am looking to sell trade to something with a modern C type neck and was wandering on what I could expect to get for it on ebay/gumtree.

Its had some work done to it. Whoever owned it before me routed it to fit a humbucker at the bridge. I have added a Seymour Duncan hotrail, and changed the pots and switch, though still have all parts that I have switched out.

Any feedback much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sorry struggling to work out how to post pics

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27636

Sorry struggling to work out how to post pics

Have you read the "how to post pics" guide?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Getting there........

https://imgur.com/9jSWGSR

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited April 2018
    Anywhere between £300 and £450 I would imagine. There's a lot of Strats out there on eBay, some are absolute shite (see one of my recent posts) and some are total gems but it's a bit of a mess on there with prices all over the place. Yours is in nice condition by the looks of it though.

If you want to sell the hot rail separately though, I'll take it off your hands. Just remembered I talked myself out of the hot rails for a hot stack instead. :)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

Nice looking Strat, that! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• I sold one recently for £470. Sold inside 2 hrs on the 'bay
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited April 2018
    I thought the rule of thumb for jap strats was to sell them at £999, stick vintage in the title and see who bites.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    The pots and switch replacement won't affect the value (especially if they're better replacements).

The routing likely will, which is daft considering it's covered by the scratchplate. Will be lessened if the routing is clean as a whistle.

MIJ used prices can depend on which version of each model you buy, the cheaper ones are basswood and have standard pickups, the more expensive were alder/ash and have 'USA' pickups. 

Let's see that routing!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Looks like a 72 reissue which were very very good guitars, and that looks a corker - colour is spot on too...

dibs if you sell it..
  • Thanks all for the feedback. One vintage, rare, one of a kind etc etc strat to hit the market place soon!

I'll get some pics of the routing this evening.

I've not played a vast amount of strats so couldn't really say whether its a 'good one' or not, I just find the neck too chunky and cant get on with it. I thought about replacing the neck as the rest of the guitar is fine, but the cost of a new neck put me off that idea!

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    PM'd - re:neck
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7779
    £430-£570, ebay can be mad at times
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 971
    that's a lovely looking guitar...I really like the oversized headstock on 70's strats... I'd buy that if it came up for sale :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll get it on the classifieds over the weekend.