Tape delays pedals.

What's Hot
longilongi Frets: 95
Just recently I've started gassing for tape delay pedals, I bought the new TC Gauss Tape Echo which sounds great except for one thing. The volume drops when the pedal is engaged. It doesn't drop by a whole lot but it's borderline enough for me to want to sell it on.

Most of the other pedals the Tone City Tape Machine looks like a candidate for a cheap tape delay as does a used Flashback mini.

Are there any others out there that I might have missed? My budget is around £70 tops. Can anyone help?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    The best advice I can give is to keep saving, sell what you don't need and put the money towards a Strymon El Capistan. You'll not want for a better delay.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    The NuX Tape Core Deluxe is bang on your budget, and has got a ton of extra stuff to tweak via a Mac/PC app.  I posted my thoughts on it recently here...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129754/npd-space-echo-on-a-budget#latest

A secondhand Digitech Obscura would probably fit the bill, too...it's got a really good Tape mode.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    edited April 2018
    That's a shame about the Gauss Echo. It sounds great, going on the demos I've seen, but a volume drop kills it for me.

I've yet to find a better tape sound (albeit for under £100) than the Marshall Echohead. That said, I've not tried the Obscura, which gets really good reviews. There's usually one in the classifieds for around £70.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3899
    MXR Echoplex is great.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Can't you just slap a cheap booster in front of it?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958

zepp76 said:
    The best advice I can give is to keep saving, sell what you don't need and put the money towards a Strymon El Capistan. You'll not want for a better delay.

Agreed

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12940

I liked the tape mode on the Obscura a lot.

That said, I prefer my Boss RE-20 but that costs twice your budget.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    Tape (style) delays usually sound better for some sort of pre amp ( because that's what we hear in actual tape delays). So something to boost it like an Xotic EP Booster ( or cheap clone thereof). 
    I think we also hear tape/ analogue delays as volume drop when there isn't as it 'softens' the overall sound so it might be perception rather than a problem with the pedal. But either way something to boost it. I had a tc X4 and had to accept that without kicking a boost on at the same time the ( percieved) drop on some  models was very annoying. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    the Zoom multi-stomps are cheap as chips and have an excellent tweakable tape delay. Not El Cap standard (I've had one of those too) but good enough. And there are a billion other effects in it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72581
    longi said:

Are there any others out there that I might have missed? My budget is around £70 tops.
    Second hand Akai Headrush E2 - they go for as little as around £50-£60 now I think.

It's also one of the best loopers there is, if that matters.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The Obscura is fantastic. Line 6 Echo Park has a superb tape setting, they go around your budget. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2219
    Lebarque said:
    MXR Echoplex is great.

That's may favourite. Preferred it to the el capistan and only £150 on the used market.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6762
    The Catalinbread Belle Epoch has an internal trim pot for boost/level. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 364
    ICBM said:
    longi said:

Are there any others out there that I might have missed? My budget is around £70 tops.
    Second hand Akai Headrush E2 - they go for as little as around £50-£60 now I think.

It's also one of the best loopers there is, if that matters.
    +1 on the headrush but it's huge. The Ibanez de7 can do a good tape delay in echo mode.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Thanks for the replies guys! =)

zepp76 said:
    I'd really love love an El Capistan, however I really am on a budget right now. Perhaps I might look at one in the future! ;)
    The NuX Tape Core Deluxe is bang on your budget, and has got a ton of extra stuff to tweak via a Mac/PC app.  I posted my thoughts on it recently here...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129754/npd-space-echo-on-a-budget#latest

A secondhand Digitech Obscura would probably fit the bill, too...it's got a really good Tape mode.

Hadn't even had the Obscura on my radar, that looks very interesting. I've given the Nux a quick look over and it also looks very interesting.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I've got a Space Echo; it's amusing that it emulates the tape speeding up & slowing down as you change settings.
    jpttaylor said:
    That's a shame about the Gauss Echo. It sounds great, going on the demos I've seen, but a volume drop kills it for me.

I've yet to find a better tape sound (albeit for under £100) than the Marshall Echohead. That said, I've not tried the Obscura, which gets really good reviews. There's usually one in the classifieds for around £70.

I know it's almost killing it for me too, it sounds so good but the volume drop although is there it's almost a bit too much.

I'm going to email TC and have a look on their forum and pester them! My mate has an Echohead, I think I'll borrow it.

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    +1 for the obscura 

It's about the best tape echo I've used that isn't a strymon El cap
    Lebarque said:
    MXR Echoplex is great.

Cool,I'm going to take a good look at that too.
    Tape (style) delays usually sound better for some sort of pre amp ( because that's what we hear in actual tape delays). So something to boost it like an Xotic EP Booster ( or cheap clone thereof). 
    I think we also hear tape/ analogue delays as volume drop when there isn't as it 'softens' the overall sound so it might be perception rather than a problem with the pedal. But either way something to boost it. I had a tc X4 and had to accept that without kicking a boost on at the same time the ( percieved) drop on some  models was very annoying. 
    Actually I have on but it's on my other board! I just need a dedicated delay for my mule board.