Tape delays pedals.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    longi said:
    Tape (style) delays usually sound better for some sort of pre amp ( because that's what we hear in actual tape delays). So something to boost it like an Xotic EP Booster ( or cheap clone thereof). 
    I think we also hear tape/ analogue delays as volume drop when there isn't as it 'softens' the overall sound so it might be perception rather than a problem with the pedal. But either way something to boost it. I had a tc X4 and had to accept that without kicking a boost on at the same time the ( percieved) drop on some  models was very annoying. 
    Actually I have on but it's on my other board! I just need a dedicated delay for my mule board.

I don't think it's softening it, it's a reasonable drop in volume.Ill measure it over the weekend!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I have an Obscura going for 75 in the Classifieds if you're interested. It literally is one of the best delay pedals I've owned (not just for the price either) and has many awesome features. I would keep it but I just adore the El Capistan more and I like money.
    Dopesick said:
    I have an Obscura going for 75 in the Classifieds if you're interested. It literally is one of the best delay pedals I've owned (not just for the price either) and has many awesome features. I would keep it but I just adore the El Capistan more and I like money.

P.M. Sent!
    Tape (style) delays usually sound better for some sort of pre amp ( because that's what we hear in actual tape delays). So something to boost it like an Xotic EP Booster ( or cheap clone thereof). 
    I think we also hear tape/ analogue delays as volume drop when there isn't as it 'softens' the overall sound so it might be perception rather than a problem with the pedal. But either way something to boost it. I had a tc X4 and had to accept that without kicking a boost on at the same time the ( percieved) drop on some  models was very annoying. 

Thanks for the tip. I just tired that with my LPB-1 I have kicking around and it sounds great and is a use able work around! That would work in the switching I use.

I've taken Dopesick up on his offer of the obscura so I can compare the two pedals and make a decision.

Bizarrely, the graphic for the mod switch on the Gauss is the wrong way round, off is actually on and on is off! How strange!
  • moogie72moogie72 Frets: 78
    I’m. Selling an el cap.....if you win on a scratch card this weekend  =)
    moogie72 said:
    I’m. Selling an el cap.....if you win on a scratch card this weekend  =)
    Lol! Just done the lottery so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I have a Flashback mini available which would be well under budget.

Shooting myself in the foot, though, I do prefer the Obscura for tape delay sounds.
    How much are you looking for it?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146

zepp76 said:
    The best advice I can give is to keep saving, sell what you don't need and put the money towards a Strymon El Capistan. You'll not want for a better delay.

Agreed

But,if it's specifically Tape delay the Deco is more focused and can do so much more .....has warm Pre-amp , double tracking etc
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9608
    zepp76 said:
    The best advice I can give is to keep saving, sell what you don't need and put the money towards a Strymon El Capistan. You'll not want for a better delay.
    Yep, hard to disagree with this....

The Obscura is outrageously good for the money though
    I'm starting to lean towards the "save up a little more" argument. I've overdosed on tape delays this weekend! There are so many good ones out there. What started out as "I was looking for a particular type of sound" has turned into a bit of a monster obsession! 

Being a hard rock/guitar guy I've never really looked at tape delays before. This is all ablteton's fault with its washy deteriorating delays! Now I've discovered I love tape delay sounds.

Oh dear!...

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 801
    edited May 2018
    In that case I’d definitely recommend trying an El Capistan. Great sounds, compact size, and it’s got every option you could reasonably want (including tap tempo subdivisions, multi-head echo, control over modulation and tape age/damage/saturation, self-oscillating feedback controlled by tap footswitch, volume boost option, choice of bypass, spring reverb, I could go on...) while still being extremely easy to use. 

• ewalewal Frets: 2605
    Just to join the Obscura love - really like the Reverse mode too.
    The Obscrura does sound nice in the videos I've seen it's right on the shortlist. So many pedals, so little time! I should also look at the Akai headrush too which has been stated. I tried out the Line M5's tape delays this morning, well at least one of them, that was fun too. I've never looked at them before and they do have 3 analogue dry thru models too. I should just mess about worth those and see what I like and what I don't like and try and figure out which would be the best for me. I do like the MXR and the Digitech though....