Melody Makers and gigging

What's Hot
So I'm on the lookout for a Melody maker, Either a 1959 model with the wider pickup or a double pickup version - both single cut. I've been curious about these guitars for a while but am not sure if they are usable in a live setting. I've heard the thicker pickup on a 59 MM is almost p90 like with a hint of telecaster. Does anyone have experience of gigging a melody maker? 

And on a side note, Is anyone selling? :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4196
    I don't see why they wouldn't be - like the lovechild of a Tele and an SG.  I've always fancied one.

What puts you off out of curiosity?
  • randella said:
    I don't see why they wouldn't be - like the lovechild of a Tele and an SG.  I've always fancied one.

What puts you off out of curiosity?
    I'm not put off as such, Iv'e always had a soft spot for them. My main concern is that they will sound a bit thin. I'd like to occasionally use it for a few songs in my set but i just wanted to know whether anyone has used them while gigging and what they think. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7045
    tFB Trader
  • Well that pretty much ends the debate haha 
  • KristoKristo Frets: 131
    I used to gig my 2 pickup reissue version; sounded ace. Although I replaced the pickups with ones from BG Pickups as the originals were a little underwhelming.
  • @Kristo Yes iv'e heard the pickups can be a bit underwhelming. That was one of my concerns. Which is why i was looking really more towards the 59, I've heard the pickup output is similar to a p90. (Hence the Melody Maker being referred to as a poor mans junior i guess!) 
  • I have a single cut early ‘60 with a really chunky ‘59 neck that’s absurdly good, and even have a fat ‘59 bridge pickup to fit one of these days :-)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    I've heard the pickup output is similar to a p90.
    I have a single pickup 1965, 3rd shape. Its Skylark single coil pickup does the "poor man's P90" trick by the simple expedient of rolling the tone pot back to between 5 and 6 then, playing through overdriven valve amplification.

almost p90 like with a hint of telecaster.
    With the tone pot fully up, the Skylark single coil is certainly bright and a bit thin but lacks the metallic overtones of a vintage Telecaster with a stamped steel bridge. IMO, the sound is more like a Fender Bronco or the bridge position on a vintage Stratocaster that has no tone control load on it.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @Funkfingers Great insight - Thank you
  • I wonder if they ever made a 1959 double pickup version? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    According to A.R. Duchossoir, they did but only in November and December of 1959.

The author pinpoints the pickup cover change from *wide* to *narrow* to mid-1960. The only notional change to the pickup's specification is the bobbin material. Any other variations probably lie within the tolerances for hand-guided coil winding.

Obviously, my 1965 guitar has the narrower pickup. I do not consider it to be anything special. In my opinion, the "magic" is in the wood. 

The Epiphone equivalent model of the same era is equally worthy of consideration.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597

Worked for Gary Moore in his Lizzy days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0cuwDyQyIA

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Any guitar that stays in tune, plays well and doesn't have microphonic pickups can be gigged :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey i bet those 59 double pickups are rare!

Yes i think i will be looking out for the epi equivalent too. Although i have seen a nice 59 that I was considering a while back so i may pull the trigger on it, It's still for sale.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    One word: Joan Jett.