New Travel Guitar (Caution - shameless, commercially motivated plug warning...)

What's Hot
MoJoKeMoJoKe Frets: 5
edited April 2018 in Guitar
What do people think of travel guitars?  I don't normally do this on forums, but I have just been sent one of these, and I'm quite excited!  Please don't shoot me, I'm being very up-front about this being a shameless plug...  I could have snuck it in under the radar asking if anyone could recommend a good electric travel guitar, then turned the conversation, but no, that would be a bit low! Mods please take it down if it offends...

This is the new diminutive beast from DV Mark, albeit with a custom "Sebo Xotta" paint job (He is obsessed with cows....  perv!).  Its a full scale professional instrument and plays like one, its just one small enough to fit in an overhead locker...  anyone touring overseas this year and flying?

https://www.facebook.com/stefano.xotta/videos/1655751397839900/

(and yes, no need to ask, there are Markbass basses on the way too......  )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoJoKeMoJoKe Frets: 5
    OMG! a flying scratchplate!!!   haha!  who makes that?
    Thats really cool, but it looks like it forgot to put on its trousers!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Question; what makes this any more portable than a Strandberg? Doesn't headless take away quite a bit of length?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27633
    MoJoKe said:
     I have just been sent one of these, 
    Send it on to us and we'll tell you what we think of it.

That's intended semi-seriously.  Right now you've posted a link to a FB video.  Really, so what.

If you want the community here to talk about, discuss it, give useful opinions based on actual experience of playing it, then send it on to us and we'll feature it in one of our get together sessions where members here can actually play it.

Otherwise you're just using the platform here for some free marketing.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I saw that, but a Steinberger is still shorter.
    TTony said:
    MoJoKe said:
     I have just been sent one of these, 
    Send it on to us and we'll tell you what we think of it.

That's intended semi-seriously.  Right now you've posted a link to a FB video.  Really, so what.

If you want the community here to talk about, discuss it, give useful opinions based on actual experience of playing it, then send it on to us and we'll feature it in one of our get together sessions where members here can actually play it.

Otherwise you're just using the platform here for some free marketing.

Now come one, I'm really not sure I could have been any more honest about my post, but there ya go.  I'm glad there are still people here who don't pull any punches!  Happy to roll with them, even though I don't work for the brand, or the UK distributor.

I'm in Devon, if anyone would like to have a go, I would be only too pleased to arrange that...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Jack_ said:
    Question; what makes this any more portable than a Strandberg? Doesn't headless take away quite a bit of length?
    Nothing, I love the look/feel of the Strandberg, there are other really good portable guitars about!   its a lot narrower though...  in its gigbag its only 22cm wide.  And its less than half the price of the cheapest Strandberg.  The compactness of travel guitars is usually most influenced by where the tuners are...  IMHO I think the ones with tuners in the body look a "wrong", so for me headless is a much better design.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    normula1 said:
    It's like one of those celebrities who have taken a diet too far
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I saw that, but a Steinberger is still shorter.
    I love the look of Steinbergers, and always hankered for one.  My 58 year old back would also start loving me more!  I am principally a 5 string bass player (sorry about that!), and whenever they come up for sale on Basschat, I've never got any spare cash... :(
    MoJoKe said:

I'm glad there are still people here who don't pull any punches
    It wasn't a punch.  It was an offer.
    TTony said:
    MoJoKe said:

I'm glad there are still people here who don't pull any punches
    It wasn't a punch.  It was an offer.
    and return offer made!  As said, I am not employed by the distributor or manufacturer, so I'm not in a position to send samples out, but very happy to let people see it where I can and freely express their own thoughts.

Sorry, last time (the first time... Though I am a Mod on Basschat, and have been there since its conception) I spoke up here I fell foul of having an affiliation, so please forgive the sensitivity!  I thought if I was clear from the start that I might avoid "commercial bias" questions.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    edited April 2018
    Don’t get it, why have you been sent one? Do they send stuff out for free to anyone or are you actually endorsed/affiliated with them.....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Damn nuisance having the Facebook login in box onscreen. Especially so when I don't want to login or create an account.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    MoJoKe said:

last time [ ... ] I spoke up here I fell foul of having an affiliation,
    Can you explain that please?

"Last time" you posted what on here, and under what user ID?

[edit]
    OK, I see the previous  posts - don't see you getting any grief though?
    edited April 2018

mrkb said:
    Don’t get it, why have you been sent one? Do they send stuff out for free to anyone or are you actually endorsed/affiliated with them.....

Why such an odd response?  I really cannot believe I am the only one on here who does occasional (or frequent if you're lucky enough to earn from doing what you love rather than working for the man...  whatever, it matters not!) reviews, demos and promo work with brands, why is that such a problem to some people?  I'm a professional musician, sure, I am professionally affiliated if that is what you want to call it, but I am not employed either by the brand or the UK distributor...  did I not make that abundantly clear in the OP?  And, I haven't been given a free guitar, its going back, probably next week.

If the mods/admins don't have a problem with this (its been up since lunchtime and its still here, so I assume not...  I am not blatantly selling, thats not my job, and this type of post would not be given a second look on Basschat - I know, I am a mod there), so why the hell do you?  In addition to starting my OP with "commercially motivated plug", perhaps you would also like me to put in my signature, "In the interests of openness and disclosure, while I am a full-time professional musician, and I have paid normal street prices for everything I own and use professionally, I occasionally carry out fee based promotional work for brands as part of my job and get sent instruments and equipment to evaluate and test, which I then have to send back....  I hope thats OK with everybody?"  Jeez!

I guess all other pro guys here just keep their heads down and pray that they don't accidentally let slip that someone lent them a pedal or a tuner once....... !  To quote Fawlty Towers "I mentioned the war once, but I think I got away with it..."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I asked a question.  What do people think of travel guitars?  Have you got one, would you like one?  There are a few different types/brands to choose from...  some look great, some look a bit silly, but...

I don't have one, wasn't actually thinking of buying one, because I am principally a bass player (when they do a 5 string full scale bass, I will pay more attention!), but a friend sent me a DV mark one, which ain't half bad, easily as good as others, and has asked me to take a look.  I asked what people here think...

A couple of people have engaged with that in the spirit in which it was asked, and a couple of people have not.  Mods/Admins, if this question offends, then please feel free to hide the thread and ban me, I am sorry if that is not "done" here.

If it is allowed, perhaps if you have any constructive thoughts or own a travel guitar you might share your experience here as I am interested to know....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1571
    I don't ever think about travel guitars, haven't got one and won't be getting one. Does that help?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited April 2018
    I occasionally carry out fee based promotional work for brands as part of my job and get sent instruments and equipment to evaluate and test, which I then have to send back....  I hope thats OK with everybody?"  Jeez!
    -----------------------------------------------------

Honestly was confused what your stake was in the company up until you stated that.

I think joining the forum to discharge your responsibility as a paid brand promoter is probably not going to be well received.

Over the years since our launch, we've seen a few businesses come and stay - and prosper - and a few who've appeared briefly before a spectacular crash and burn.  

The difference? Mainly it's a difference between those who take the time to contribute to the wider forum, and those who just push out PR style "look at my new thing" posts.    The former is give-and-take and will be well received, the latter is just take (and won't be so well received).
    Hopefully you can work something out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    You’ve probably not helped yourself in your opening gambit.

I don’t understand...

If you are not linked to the company why is it a shameless plug?

Anyway welcome. For the record I don’t have any opinion on travel guitars.
    Previously known as stevebrum