Early 80’s “Dan Smith” Strats

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
edited April 2018 in Guitar
I’ve started lusting after 70’s Strats, but I appreciate the later more affordable ones are very hit and miss, mostly miss by the sounds of it.

So i’ve Just started looking into the ‘82 Dan Smith Strats, at least they still have the nice big decal and ‘F’ tuners

Any owners out there? Any experienced opinions on them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    I had one a while ago and it was lightweight and sounded great, but the neck was as slim as, and the nut felt narrow, so it was like holding a pencil rather than a guitar neck! Maybe they vary though.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    They are the last ‘classic’ Fullerton built Strats - so of historical significance - and very much an endeavour to rebuild Fender’s reputation.

That said - they still tend to be on the heavy side - and though their contouring is better than the last three-bolt models - it’s still ‘wrong’.

I wouldn't pay ‘daft’ money for when, when a used CS Strat is likely to be a better guitar in almost every way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    I’ve never understood why they were that valuable. They’re really nothing more than a reshaped late-CBS Strat. It’s true that they have a four-bolt neck, improved contouring and a (wrongly shaped) small headstock, but everything else is the same as the preceding 1981 version.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That’s a lot less overpriced than I was expecting, and actually less than I seem to remember what was being asked for them 10-15 years ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2018
    ICBM said:
    That’s a lot less overpriced than I was expecting, and actually less than I seem to remember what was being asked for them 10-15 years ago.
    There was a big London dealer - the name of which escapes me - who bought all the last ones from Arbiters and sold them as ‘sealed box, once in a life-time, collector opportunities’ for £2999 a pop.

I wonder how many people who bought one have seen a return on their investment?
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Who was "Dan Smith"?

I was expecting a S-type guitar by another manufacturer.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    There was a big buzz at the time as we had just come out of the 70's period and a serious deterioration in what we all expected a good USA Strat to be - The Dan Smith 82 models were an upgrade on that and a sign of improvement required - However moving on a few more decades and they are over hyped - fine if you can acquire one for less than £1500, better still £1200 but otherwise I'd go find something else
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    There was a big London dealer - the name of which escapes me - who bought all the last ones from Arbiters and sold them as ‘sealed box, once in a life-time, collector opportunities’ for £2999 a pop.

Soho Sound House - Which was Jonny Arbiter's business - Yes Ivor Arbiter's son - so a family tie in/connection
    richardhomer said:

Soho Sound House - Which was Jonny Arbiter's business - Yes Ivor Arbiter's son - so a family tie in/connection
    Ah - wasn’t aware of the connection!
    tFB Trader
    SNAKEBITE said:

Who was "Dan Smith"?

I was expecting a S-type guitar by another manufacturer.

Worked earlier for Yamaha and was brought into the new Fender management team with Bill Schulz, to improve the brand/models, manufacturing etc - His son is Dan Smith, now a Master Builder within the Custom Shop Team

The 82 Dan Smith Strat was never called a 'Dan Smith' model - just a nick name it later acquired - It only had around a 15/18 month shelf live before it was dropped in favour of the Strat Standard and the Strat Elite - This was the first time Fender ever listed the Strat model with another tag - Standard, Elite etc - The Standard had 2 controls, instead of 3, with the jack socket now moved onto the scratchplate

Dan Smith was partly responsible for the Vintage Replica range from both the USA and the early JV Squier models

All in all an improvement on the late 70's models and indeed  1980/81 models - but the best was yet to come
    tFB Trader
    I had one a while ago and it was lightweight and sounded great, but the neck was as slim as, and the nut felt narrow, so it was like holding a pencil rather than a guitar neck! Maybe they vary though.
    agree - something funny/unusual in the neck profile and nut width
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    I am usually surprised at how well Richtone price their seconhand stuff. Their "used" appear on ebay for very competitive prices imo
    agree - something funny/unusual in the neck profile and nut width
    All the ones I've played have had very skinny, usually slightly v-shaped necks. This was carried over into the first USA Standards (the 2-control one with the Freeflyte trem) as well. I've seen a few of these re-bodied with a normal Strat body - not always Fender - and at least one described as a 'Dan Smith', whether by ignorance or deceit, I don't know...

tFB Trader
    I am usually surprised at how well Richtone price their seconhand stuff. Their "used" appear on ebay for very competitive prices imo
    the last 2/3 I've seen at Gardiner Houlgate Auction have fetched north of £1200 - so with fees then not to far away from that price

With late 70's Fender Strats selling for well over 1K with a trem, then I don't think it is to bad - £1200/1500 depending on case/condition/trem is about right in todays market
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    One of the things that hasn't assisted, the RI 57 uplifts from the DG fans. Personally, I hate Dan Smith necks- as Mark said, much too thin.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    I too had seen the ‘79 and ‘82 Strats on Richer Sounds and thought they were reasonably priced. I love the look of the ‘79 and feel the pull of the ‘82 as it’s in my favourite combo of sunburst with a Rosewood board, plus the history of it all ape all’s too.

BUT... i’m sticking to my principles and not buying anything I haven’t tried out first. I’ve made the mistake a few times in the past.

If I was closer to Sheffield I could see myself walking out with one of them unless they were both dogs.
    If you want to scratch the itch, go to the next guitar show near you - there are invariably some late 70s Strats for sale at them.

Play them - then try an American Vintage reissue, a CS, a JV series Squier, etc. You can pretty much guarantee - if you judge purely on merit - that any of the latter three will be better. 
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    ... and don't get sucked into the 1983 hardbacks with one tone control and scratchplate mounted jack socket being Dan Smiths. I've seen a few advertised as such and priced accordingly. I have one and I love it but Dan Smiths they ain't - to say they're hit and miss is being kind at best and value wise, they're probably less than £500...
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    I had one - although it was a bit of a mongrel with a later neck (so no big decal) and Dan Smith body.  It had the X1 pickup in the bridge.  Played ok, sounded ok, weighed a tonne for a Strat, looked nothing special.  Not a patch on my Bacchus.