Early 80’s “Dan Smith” Strats

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    Also around the same era, Fender brought in Paul Riviera to revamp the amp line - Including the highly rated Super Champ + a very good Princeton Reverb + Concert model
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7156
    ICBM said:
    That’s a lot less overpriced than I was expecting, and actually less than I seem to remember what was being asked for them 10-15 years ago.
    There was a big London dealer - the name of which escapes me - who bought all the last ones from Arbiters and sold them as ‘sealed box, once in a life-time, collector opportunities’ for £2999 a pop.

I wonder how many people who bought one have seen a return on their investment?
    Soho Sound House - Which was Jonny Arbiter's business - Yes Ivor Arbiter's son - so a family tie in/connection
    Advertised for years and not sure who bought them, I worked for Jonny for a few years and always meant to ask him, but never did.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    edited May 2018
    stonevibe said:
    ICBM said:
    That’s a lot less overpriced than I was expecting, and actually less than I seem to remember what was being asked for them 10-15 years ago.
    There was a big London dealer - the name of which escapes me - who bought all the last ones from Arbiters and sold them as ‘sealed box, once in a life-time, collector opportunities’ for £2999 a pop.

I wonder how many people who bought one have seen a return on their investment?
    Soho Sound House - Which was Jonny Arbiter's business - Yes Ivor Arbiter's son - so a family tie in/connection
    Advertised for years and not sure who bought them, I worked for Jonny for a few years and always meant to ask him, but never did.
    I went into Soho Soundbouse at the time and tried one. The price was nothing remotely like £2,999 - I’m fairly sure they were £550, £650 or £750 depending on colour and whether hardtail or trem. Don’t ask me to remember what I did last week, but I can remember those prices pretty clearly, even though it was 25-30 years ago. They all sold eventually as I used to pop in there reasonably regularly and eventually there were no more of them for sale.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited May 2018

I had one, it was nothing special.

The JV Squier I had was better in every way.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    DaiCapp said:
    ... and don't get sucked into the 1983 hardbacks with one tone control and scratchplate mounted jack socket being Dan Smiths. I've seen a few advertised as such and priced accordingly. I have one and I love it but Dan Smiths they ain't - to say they're hit and miss is being kind at best and value wise, they're probably less than £500...
    Exactly - that's what I meant about the necks from these being re-bodied and sold as 'Dan Smiths' as well. Luckily they're easy to tell apart even if the body is replaced because they have the modern cast machineheads with larger collars rather than the 'F back' ones, as well as a different logo and truss rod.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    All great info.

I’ll put my hands up and admit I know nothing about JV Squiers other than they’re rather coveted and the only Squiers that demand a price tag as high as their fellow Fenders.

So what’s the story?