Good grunge guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Schnozz said:
    Yeah - Soon you'll realise that The Smashing Pumpkins were far better and you'll then want a Strat anyways.
    Is a strat one of the most versatile guitars? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    edited May 2018
    Calum13 said:
    Schnozz said:
    Yeah - Soon you'll realise that The Smashing Pumpkins were far better and you'll then want a Strat anyways.
    Is a strat one of the most versatile guitars? 
    Ah I was just playing - I would say a HSH Strat definitely is, along with a P90 SG with Bigsby. I don't really like Fender Single Coils because I think they sound to thin at times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Schnozz said:

Wrong. He'll want a G+L when he realises Alice In Chains were far better than both Nirvana and the Pumpkins... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Calum13 said:
    @flying_pie You're right. I'll stick to my squier jaguar, boss DS1 and Marshall amp for now. I need to join a band one day  :)

That's a very good idea. Good luck finding a band with a drummer as good as Dave Grohl!

Get playing more. By then you'll have a better idea of any new gear you need when you've been playing for longer. You might even be after your own sound rather than wanting to sound like someone else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Now that I intend to stick to my squier jag until I realise what I want in a guitar I need to get the bridge working. I think it's quite a common issue with the bridges on those guitars that the vibration of the string slowly moves the bridge down and when it's touching the body trying to play on high frets isn't easy and there's some buzzing. I'm thinking of getting a buzz stop and some sort of mustang bridge. Any recommendations for what bridge to get?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Calum13 said:
    Now that I intend to stick to my squier jag until I realise what I want in a guitar I need to get the bridge working. I think it's quite a common issue with the bridges on those guitars that the vibration of the string slowly moves the bridge down and when it's touching the body trying to play on high frets isn't easy and there's some buzzing. I'm thinking of getting a buzz stop and some sort of mustang bridge. Any recommendations for what bridge to get?
    If it’s the bridge going down due to vibration then get some thread lock on the screws. That should hold it, and it’s cheap. 
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    Calum13 said:
    If it’s the bridge going down due to vibration then get some thread lock on the screws. That should hold it, and it’s cheap. 
    This ^

Clear nail varnish also works. 
    If you must change the bridge, get a Staytrem. 

Thread lock should be fine for now though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Calum13 said:
    This ^

Would I be better just buying a new bridge if I intend to keep it as a long term guitar?
    @Calum13 Don't change anything yet. Just threadlock the bridge screws for now and see how it goes. 

Calum13 said:
    This ^

Thread lock smells less than clear nail varnish - but you might have some of that in the house already ;)

Once you’ve got used to it, you need to decide if the upgrade to a staytrem is worth it - most upgrade due to strings popping out of saddle grooves, or other light string gauge related issues.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496

Get playing more. By then you'll have a better idea of any new gear you need when you've been playing for longer. You might even be after your own sound rather than wanting to sound like someone else. 
    +1

IMO take however long as needs be to find what your needs are and to find the equipment that suits your playing and sound more than fitting to the sound of someone else.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Whilst the advice in this thread is spot on, how many of us actually have this much restraint on buying gear?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    horse said:
    Whilst the advice in this thread is spot on, how many of us actually have this much restraint on buying gear?
    This is also true. Sounds like he has some gas going on. 

I've been good recently, no gear spending since Dec last year. Five months and it feels like a lifetime though. I've started constantly looking at guitars again so no doubt the gas is building in me as we speak... 
    horse said:
    This is also true. Sounds like he has some gas going on. 

I've been good recently, no gear spending since Dec last year. Five months and it feels like a lifetime though. I've started constantly looking at guitars again so no doubt the gas is building in me as we speak... 
    I'll probably just try the nail varnish and if that doesn't work go with the staytrem. Do I need to buy a bridge and trem or can I use the staytrem bridge with the stock trem?
    @Calum13 Staytrem bridge and stock trem will be fine. 
    But yeah, just nail varnish the bridge screws for now. 

I found the staytrem bridge improves the stock trek quite a bit...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11760
    horse said:
    Ha - very true - have a wiz!

Part of the fun of guitar is walking into a guitar shop, seeing a guitar, thinking "that looks the nads" playing it, loving it, then buying it.

Then after a while you do it again...

FWIW, I'm in the club that says go into a few guitar shops and buy whatever you think is cool.  For example I think these look cool...

https://fret-king.com/black-label/country-squire-semitone-special.html#.WvAJT5ch2Uk

And I'd bet dollars to dimes no-one else here will agree with me! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Calum13 said:
    grungebob said:
    Like I said, I’ve owned the kurt jaguar, the mustang and the jagstang. A strat with HSS nails the sounds better. 

The hardtail HH jaguar was a very close second. 
    I like strats but I like the shape of the jazzmaster/jaguar body better. For me looks is a big factor and even though a strat plays better I'd probably pick a jag or jazzmaster. Did you say your HSS strat nails the sound better than the kurt cobain signature jag? I should trust the experienced guitarist  ;)
    The sig jaguar had nice pickups but didn’t instantly scream nirvana to me anymore so than a HSS Strat, so save your money there. The sig mustang did have that typical cobain clean sound but so does the new HS duo sonic but once you pile on the gain most guitars lose their uniqueness and become much more generic. 
    I prefer quirky looking guitars hence me going through the entire fender catalog before I settled on an Explorer and a musicman Sub 1
    edited July 2019
    Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but a year later I’m happy with my squier jaguar (with staytrem bridge) and my SSS fender strat, but I have the opportunity to get a Westbury Deluxe from the 80s, all original. What’re these guitars like?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Cool glad you like it. 
    The westburys a well built guitar and should sound closely like an SG. Their nice for the price.