Rob Chapman: Guitar Is Not Dead

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
I watched all of this and I completely agree with everything he says.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    Cue a raft of bellend comments below I'm sure but your P60 probably looks a little pale compared to his...

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I wish making videos about the state of "guitar" would die already.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • jf122jf122 Frets: 190
    Cue a raft of bellend comments below 
    It’s almost as if you want that to happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    He talks sense. There will always be those, particularly in the media, that write controversial anti guitar articles for reasons than other than a genuinely objective view.

We all know in our hearts that a genre may become less popular but then morph into something. To say that electric guitar is dead is as ridiculous as saying the violin, oboe, harmonica etc is dead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4845
    Cue a raft of bellend comments below I'm sure but your P60 probably looks a little pale compared to his...

They will be along soon, don't you worry....

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11799
    I agree with everything he says as well.

His fundamental point though isn't just true in the music business but everywhere for any business.  Markets change, income streams dry up.  A business needs to adapt and change focus to survive and thrive.

Simply being talented and working hard isn't enough, you also have to work smart.  As he says himself, he's done quite well with that philosophy.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    Pretty obvious 'guitar' isn't dead - sales alone prove that. A look at demographics and related economics provide good reasons for guitar sales to be healthier than ever, and for that to continue for at last another decade or two, but perhaps not long enough to benefit from planting a Rosewood forest (although no doubt Chinese furniture manufactures would ensure you got a good return on your investment in the end)..

But there's a point of confusion between electric guitar sales being dead (they're definitely not), and electric guitar music being dead, or stagnant, or boring, or in a rut, or anything else someone on Youtube might want to call it. That, of course, is much more subjective, and something that can be argued about till the cows come, by bellends or anyone else. 

Most of the time I'm pretty ambivalent about that question - though a couple of years ago the thought did pass through my mind. I'd just watched a video someone had linked to, a guitarist (I won't name) was playing Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - one of the most expressive pieces of rock guitar ever recorded, but he'd stripped out all of the space and rammed it full of notes in a display of fretboard masturbation. The resulting sound had all the emotional content of a spreadsheet on guitar sales. :-/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Quite interesting and nice to hear someone on the insides view of it. Also good to see someone laying the fact that it's a business and not being  in ashamed of saying they go where the money is. We all know that's the situation but would prefer to think they're in it totally and utterly for being a working musician. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I'm generally not a fan of Mr.chapman, or more his "on screen person", think it's like he's trying to hard. BUT I Think he'd be a brilliant bloke to have a long chat with over a few pints. 

He's been at the forefront of the YouTube generation , so he clearly has a grasp on what is going on in the industry. 

He definitely speaks alot of truth here. 

Well done chappers. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    To précis, follow the money. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader

This is so 2017...   Common, move on people.

:)

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Just watched. Agree with him. He talked a lot of sense. Thanks for the link @RandallFlagg ;
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26648
    I'm about half way through and he could've just been talking about people contributing to a thread on here from not so long ago...
    <space for hire>
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Well yeah, only mugs like Chappers pay tax ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Putting the count into country.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    jf122 said:
    Probably but, is *raft* the correct mass noun for a collection of bell ends? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11799
    I'm about half way through and he could've just been talking about people contributing to a thread on here from not so long ago...
    I'd bet dollars to dimes he googles himself and finds the threads on here, or these days, maybe even hires someone to keep an eye on it for him.

I'm not sure why he divides opinion quite as much as he does to be honest.  I'm even less sure why when it comes to Lee Anderton who is clearly a web selling genius, or players like Rabea or Pete, who clearly have got genuinely impressive chops.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy though.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    jf122 said:
    Probably but, is *raft* the correct mass noun for a collection of bell ends? 
    I'd have thought 'a fist of bell ends'?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26648
    edited May 2018
    I'd bet dollars to dimes he googles himself and finds the threads on here, or these days, maybe even hires someone to keep an eye on it for him.

Actually, I he told me he doesn't (a long time ago), and from what his friends have all said, I believe that's totally genuine.

...or players like Rabea or Pete, who clearly have got genuinely impressive chops.
    But they're just salesmen, they're not professional musicians, so they don't count.

<space for hire>