Out of the way middle pickup for Stratocaster

What's Hot
Some players cannot tolerate the middle position pickup of a Stratocaster, complaining that it *gets in the way* of their strumming/picking technique. Rather than correct their precious playing technique, these customers correct the issue by adjusting the middle pickup downwards - to the extent that it ****s up the sounds of selector switch positions 2 and 4. (Fine, if your name is Yngwie. Dumb, if you are anyone else.)

Is there a middle pickup that is sufficiently powerful that it can be adjusted really low and still produce the normal sounds of a Stratocaster middle pickup?

I am aware of the Fender experiments with hidden pickups on the Custom Shop Stealth Esquire and the aborted Marauder guitar of the Sixties. In both cases, concealing the pickups beneath the pickguard was taking things too far. Instead, what I have in mind would be setting the middle pickup more or less flush with the top surface of the pickguard. Its polepieces would protrude roughly the same distance as the height adjustment screws.

I am also aware the easiest solution to this question is to instruct Stratocaster users who object to the middle pickup to fornicate elsewhere.
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    I seem to remember that the ARTEC blade pickup had something silly like 11k output, that might help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I'm one of these people. Adore the sound, but good god is playing a Strat annoying.

I reckon the solution would be an active preamp to make the middle pickup really loud to compensate, never have gotten around to trying it though. The issue, though, being that it'd amplify the hum a whole lot too. I guess it'd have to be stacked.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I find that I have both the neck and middle PU flush with the pickguard (on the bass side, a little raised on the treble side), and they balance nicely. I run the saddles very low and have no neck shim though, so the distance from string to PU isn't all that great. 

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    Erm, so after ridiculing players with less than perfect technique, you now want my their advice? Good luck! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    after ridiculing players with less than perfect technique, you now want my their advice?
    I was hoping to find a solution to a specific pilot error. 

Alegree said:
    I'm one of these people. Adore the sound, but good god is playing a Strat annoying.
    I hoped that this forum's resident pickup makers would chime in. 

NPP said:
    I find that I have both the neck and middle PU flush with the pickguard (on the bass side, a little raised on the treble side), and they balance nicely.
    Well, being at similar height adjustments to each other, they should produce a balanced output. My question is about balancing an abnormally low middle pickup with normally adjusted neck and bridge single coils.

sweepy said:
    I seem to remember that the ARTEC blade pickup had something silly like 11k output, that might help
    I suspect that, by itself, a coil of high d.c. resistance might not do the trick. The magnetic field is my chief concern.

Alegree said:
    I reckon the solution would be an active preamp to make the middle pickup really loud to compensate, never have gotten around to trying it though. The issue, though, being that it'd amplify the hum a whole lot too. I guess it'd have to be stacked.
    As I suspected. Any practical solution to the volume issue will detract from the proper Stratocaster sound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    edited May 2018

Rather than correct their precious playing technique, these customers correct the issue by adjusting the middle pickup downwards - to the extent that it ****s up the sounds of selector switch positions 2 and 4. (Fine, if your name is Ritchie Blackmore and you don't use the 2 and 4 positions.)
    FTFY .

For me, it isn't the height of the pickup that's the problem, it's the polepieces. I catch and break my fingernails on them, because I don't use a pick. But I like the sound of the middle pickup, so removing it entirely like Mr. Blackmore isn't an option.

A pickup with *flush* polepieces - not simply non-staggered, but actually smoothly level with the top of the cover - solves the problem, and can be adjusted to the normal height. This type of pickup isn't common, but Bill Lawrence Keystones are some... which I have in my Aria 'Strat'.

I did once build a Stealth Esquire using a Duncan Hot Strat pickup under the pickguard, but even with the back of the guard shaved to make it as thin as possible, the sound was both still too quiet compared to the bridge pickup and too muddy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Ritchie Blackmore ... don't use the 2 and 4 positions. FTFY :).
    Fixed that for Yngwie? ;) I wonder where he got the idea?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    The middle pickup is rarely used on my Strat - and even less used than the dreadful positions 2 & 4.

It has nothing to do with playing technique and more to do with sounds that are pleasing to my ears.

But back to the middle pickup - as ICBM suggests, some pickups with flush polepieces may be a better option. Or even some EMGs (or similar - such as the 1980s handwound Kent Armstrong units).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    Stick a smooth topped Lace Sensor in the middle position?....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Now and again i hook my little finger under the middle pickup, tbh its never been an issue for me, maybe its people with untidy right hand technique that have issues ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    Now and again i hook my little finger under the middle pickup, tbh its never been an issue for me, maybe its people with untidy right hand technique that have issues ;)
    Definitely, although my untidy right hand technique is more responsible for constantly bashing the volume control and the selector switch :). The problem with the pickup is when I'm playing more gently and picking directly over it with my fingers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9659

Is there a middle pickup that is sufficiently powerful that it can be adjusted really low and still produce the normal sounds of a Stratocaster middle pickup?

Maybe one of these?

https://youtu.be/dC8gsW9J-n0
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Some players cannot tolerate the middle position pickup of a Stratocaster, complaining that it *gets in the way* of their strumming/picking technique. Rather than correct their precious playing technique, these customers correct the issue by adjusting the middle pickup downwards - to the extent that it ****s up the sounds of selector switch positions 2 and 4. (Fine, if your name is Yngwie. Dumb, if you are anyone else.)

I am aware of the Fender experiments with hidden pickups on the Custom Shop Stealth Esquire and the aborted Marauder guitar of the Sixties. In both cases, concealing the pickups beneath the pickguard was taking things too far. Instead, what I have in mind would be setting the middle pickup more or less flush with the top surface of the pickguard. Its polepieces would protrude roughly the same distance as the height adjustment screws.

I am also aware the easiest solution to this question is to instruct Stratocaster users who object to the middle pickup to fornicate elsewhere.
    I'm afraid the 2 & 4 positions will sound shit no matter what height you have the middle pickup ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    Octafish said:

I'm afraid the 2 & 4 positions will sound shit no matter what height you have the middle pickup
    Actually they do sound better with the pickup lower. The 'quack' that some people love (not me either usually) is very dependent on the pickups being well-matched both for windings and output volume, or you don't get as much harmonic cancellation. That's one reason why I like a hotter bridge pickup, it moderates the clicky/quacky sound to enough of an extent that I can use it if I need to.

The problem with lowering it is that it spoils the best sound on the guitar... the middle pickup :).

ICBM said:
    The problem with lowering it is that it spoils the best sound on the guitar... the middle pickup :).
    Ry Cooder would certainly agree with you about that. :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I can't understand the problem? My technique doesn't involve my hand going under the strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    axisus said:
    I can't understand the problem? My technique doesn't involve my hand going under the strings.
    axisus said:

I agree, even when using my fingers, only the very top of my fingers protrude under the strings. And there are 2 perfectly good gaps between the pickups of it is really a problem.

Another option would be to use a P90, that can be set a bit lower.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Positions 2 and 4 are very useful when backing a singer, a singer singing country and folk songs. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Iirc Hendrix using the middle pickup quite a lot but obviously he’s not an influential Strat player ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom