Out of the way middle pickup for Stratocaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14498
    Rocker said:
    Positions 2 and 4 are very useful when backing a singer, a singer singing country and folk songs. 
    Sooooooo, that is what Jeff Beck was doing with the bridge and middle pickup sound in the video posted earlier in this thread.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Pfft. As a bass player you should be resting your thumb on the middle pickup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    When I'm playing bass I rest my thumb on the middle of the pick :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
    Look for the word Strelecaster (and pics) at the bottom of the page.

http://www.zhangbucker.com/strat-singles.html

Will allow you to get a nice sounding middle pickup without interfering with your picking hand...

What is “Strelecaster Styling”?  It is wrapping a coverless Strat pickup twine like a Tele bridge pickup (SEE PHOTO BELOW).  Can be made with just about any color twine.  Samples in the pictures below: red/white/black left, yellow-gold right.

STRELE STYLED PICKUPS

This is not JUST an aesthetic option:  Flatpole with no cover means the coil itself is much closer to the strings compared to a standard Strat* design pickup with Alnico rods that protrude several millimeters above the surface of the flatwork.  The result is livelier pickups with more sustain without losing the vintage tone and clarity.  This means you can also set them lower to avoid the dread "Stratitis" and still get a strong signal.

On the other hand, if you want to have the Strele look while keeping the traditional airy tone, they can be made with the rods raised above the flatwork with whatever stagger you prefer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
    I'm based in the UK - don't work for this guy...!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    I’m going to pretend you didn’t post that.. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    ICBM said:
    I’m going to pretend you didn’t post that.. ;)
    And my left one on the E string.

:-P

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

jaymenon said:
    I'm based in the UK - don't work for this guy...!
    No need to apologise. I remember Zhang from when I was on the Seymour Duncan User Group forum. A knowledgable chap and, often, a provider of wise advice. 
    ICBM said:
    And my left one on the E string. :-P
    Do you scallop the edge off your fingerboard?  ;)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited May 2018
    sweepy said:
    Iirc Hendrix using the middle pickup quite a lot but obviously he’s not an influential Strat player
    Ha, I like the middle pickup too! Don't get those who say they hate it, sounds great with drive, a bit honky, a bit raucous, but then I think the 2 & 4 positions are foul.

The only Strat combined pickup sound I like is bridge and neck (which I've got wired in place of the middle/bridge). Has none of that nasal limpness of 2 & 4.