New Fender 60th anniversary Jazzmsters

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Shame the MIM use Pau Ferro and just MIM pickups....they missed a trick there. I would have paid more for rosewood (clearing through CITES) and more expensive pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174

Fender offsets, for me, are some of *those* guitars - the ones that sound great and look cool when other people play them.

Whenever I've picked one up I look awkward and sound trepidatious.  It's one of life's crosses to bear :)

I meant to say - good article.  Nicely written.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I think I mentioned it in a previous thread about these, but Poo Ferro and awful block inlays are a big no from me.
    Babones said:
    Poo Ferro

Was that your autocorrect judging Fender? ;)

Block inlays - hmm.  I like them, but only once the fingerboard has worn a little.  And never on maple.

Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Nowt wrong with Pau Ferro.

Not keen on the blocks, the (old man) Fiesta red or the corned beef plate.

However, the prospect of either a blonde or black version is highly appealing - and Daphne Blue (assuming the corned beef isn't applied to this one) sounds amazing.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'm glad Fender are finally acting on the offset revival but I am wondering if its a bit to late?

These all look cool, apart from those pickguards.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    randella said:
    Babones said:
    Poo Ferro

Definitely Poo.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Babones said:
    randella said:
    Babones said:
    Poo Ferro

Definitely Poo.
    Why?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1846
    Want that red one more than my next breath right now 
    Babones said:
    randella said:
    Babones said:
    Poo Ferro

Definitely Poo.
    Why?
    My opinion only, but I don't like the light brown colour. Many also have streaky, uneven grain patterns or colours running along the board, which again imo, I don't like.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Pau Ferro is a nice wood for fingerboards (I think Musicman use them on their fretless basses) but it doesn't look right here.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686

Pau Ferro is a bloody good choice.   In many cases its indistinguishable from a dalbergia, 99% of guitar players would never know.  .. yes it can be a bit paler and redder, but so can some rosewood.   

In short  -  get over it

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    WezV said:

Pau Ferro is a bloody good choice.   In many cases its indistinguishable from a dalbergia, 99% of guitar players would never know.  .. yes it can be a bit paler and redder, but so can some rosewood.   

In short  -  get over it

Wis'd.

We all need to accept that the days of cheap rosewood are over - and that there are good alternatives out there. Pau Ferro is one.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

WezV said:  

In short  -  get over it

There is nothing to get over. The same reason someone wouldn't buy a relic, or a quilt top, or a maple fingerboard etc etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    impmann said:
    WezV said:

In short  -  get over it

Wis'd.

We all need to accept that the days of cheap rosewood are over - and that there are good alternatives out there. Pau Ferro is one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Wis'd.

Probably an unpopular view, but it took a couple of years for me to realise that the 'ebony' fingerboard on my Les Paul wasn't ebony at all, but Richlite.

It looks like ebony, plays like ebony, and the guitar sounds bloody great.  I *should* be bothered but I'm not.  Times change.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    stonevibe said:
    I can tell you like to use the word Cool a lot. ;)
    randella said:
    impmann said:
    Wis'd.

Probably an unpopular view, but it took a couple of years for me to realise that the 'ebony' fingerboard on my Les Paul wasn't ebony at all, but Richlite.

It looks like ebony, plays like ebony, and the guitar sounds bloody great.  I *should* be bothered but I'm not.  Times change.

I like richlite too.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited May 2018
    I like Pau Ferro and think its a really good (cool...ahem) wood for fretboards personally, it can look really nice as well. My old Fender SRV Strat had a fretboard made from it, the grain was very nice indeed, looked a little like Brazillian rosewood too.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway