New Fender 60th anniversary Jazzmsters

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Back on topic, I think I'd really like to try the one with the faux-Filtertrons... looks like a really interesting take on a JM. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Blue looks amazingly sexy. US made? seems pricey otherwise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think it is. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    The Daphne blue one with the filtertrons is US and the more traditional layout Daphne blue one is Mexican.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The sunburst one is dreamy. 
    Still can't believe Fender haven't done a Nels Cline signature one of these....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27039
    The triple one looks fantastic (D&B neck by the looks?) and looks like it has a sensible bridge too. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The Fiesta Red one would be my number 1 choice there. I believe FR is much derided, but I like it, especially with tort scratchplates and matching headstock. Hmmm.... better start saving.
    The blue 'Triple' looks interesting but personally I think they should have gone for an Electric XII - style rotary selector switch... for some reason I always think a strat-style blade switch always looks a bit wrong on a Jazzmaster. 
    And... finally, I've never been a fan of the original sunburst/ gold anodised combo. In fact, I'm not raving about the gold scratchplate altogether, as my Squier Mascises will testify.

Pau ferro... haven't they been using that on guitars for years? I'm sure my ancient Westbury had pau ferro on it, or something did... Rickenbacker fretboards?
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited May 2018
    Love the red one, matching headstock always attracts me.
    My favourite guitar player Jason Falkner has an original very similar. His either has white or red pickguard, shame about the lack of dots

The Gretsch style pick ups on the blue one look like a Halfords bodge job to me.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    dogload said:

Pau ferro... haven't they been using that on guitars for years? I'm sure my ancient Westbury had pau ferro on it, or something did... Rickenbacker fretboards?

yeah - it was a higher priced option on Fenders for a long time.  

I actually used some on my first guitar build about 16 years ago. It was cheaper than Indian and ebony at the time.... IIRC the Santos rosewood (Pau Ferro) was £6, Indian RW was £7 and ebony was £10 per blank.   not really much in it

I bet trade names like Santos rosewood won't be used again ;)

I don't know if Rick have used it, but their normal choice of wood is Bubinga.   Bubinga looks a lot like mahogany, but is much denser.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    edited May 2018
    I think Rickenbacker have stopped using Bubinga (which they always referred to as “rosewood” anyway) due to the volatile political situation in parts of Africa where it was sourced. They now mainly use “Caribbean Rosewood” from Belize or Mexico for fretboards.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    I think Rickenbacker have stopped using Bubinga (which they always referred to as “rosewood” anyway) due to the volatile political situation in parts of Africa where it was sourced. They now mainly use “Caribbean Rosewood” from Belize or Mexico for fretboards.
    Ah, that will likely be Chechen.  Not that different to Pau Ferro in appearance

I have a good slab of bubinga I was going to use for a piece carved top, but it might be wise to save it for fretboards now
    Interesting... going from a true rosewood that wasn’t called rosewood to a wood sometimes called rosewood that isn’t a true rosewood. Marketing is awesome. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Anyone know how ''Limited" these additions are? Fender don't give a production number anywhere I can see. 

Like the American sunburst version and there are still quite a few knocking about. 
  • Been thinking of getting a Jaguar, but starting to think Jazzmaster now, especially after seeing this. The daphne blue in this new range looks stunning 

http://www.peachguitars.com/namm2018/fender-60th-anniversary-classic-jazzmaster-pau-ferro-daphne-blue.htm

Has anyone played one, and how does it compare with the Classic Player and Classic 60’s? 
    Been thinking of getting a Jaguar, but starting to think Jazzmaster now, especially after seeing this. The daphne blue in this new range looks stunning 

http://www.peachguitars.com/namm2018/fender-60th-anniversary-classic-jazzmaster-pau-ferro-daphne-blue.htm

Has anyone played one, and how does it compare with the Classic Player and Classic 60’s? 
    Not played one but the early reports on the offset forum are pretty good. This will essentially be the classic 60's but with the flatter 9.5 radius neck and limited colours. The pickups are apparently Mexican interpretations of the US 65 reissue pickups, that wouldn't concern me because I think they do this with the classic player strat/baja Pickups and they are great.

If you like the classic 60's look I'd go for one of those as they are cheaper for what is more or less the same guitar. If I had around a grand for an offset right now I would chuck an offer in for the tasty surf green american original jag on eBay at the moment. 
  • Gerz6558 said:
    Been thinking of getting a Jaguar, but starting to think Jazzmaster now, especially after seeing this. The daphne blue in this new range looks stunning 

Not played one but the early reports on the offset forum are pretty good. This will essentially be the classic 60's but with the flatter 9.5 radius neck and limited colours. The pickups are apparently Mexican interpretations of the US 65 reissue pickups, that wouldn't concern me because I think they do this with the classic player strat/baja Pickups and they are great.

If you like the classic 60's look I'd go for one of those as they are cheaper for what is more or less the same guitar. If I had around a grand for an offset right now I would chuck an offer in for the tasty surf green american original jag on eBay at the moment. 
    Thanks, very good advice, you know your offsets. Can I ask, I want an offset as I love shoegaze, dinisaur jr, war on drugs etc, I need that subtle tremolo; any advice on the merits of jaguar v jazzmaster? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    MagicPigDetective said:
    Thanks, very good advice, you know your offsets. Can I ask, I want an offset as I love shoegaze, dinisaur jr, war on drugs etc, I need that subtle tremolo; any advice on the merits of jaguar v jazzmaster? 
    I think both those bands play Jazzmasters, as did My Bloody Valentine, if shoegaze is your bag. Can’t think of many Jag players from that scene, Mark Gardener from Ride is the only one that springs to mind, and (not shoegaze, I know) Kurt Cobain. The trem unit on both guitars is identical, the only difference in effect may be due to scale length, I can’t imagine it would be that noticable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jazzmaster - Strat scale length, slightly different pickups.
    Jaguar - short scale, pickups not that different to a Strat’s.

I wanted an offset for the same reasons (MBV, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth etc) but I went for a Jag because if I was going to get something different to a Strat or Tele, I might as well get something that feels different to play as well. In reality, I don’t notice the difference in scale. MBV also played Jags, but not as much as Jazzmasters.
    edited September 2018
    No worries. As others have said, jazzmasters generally rule the genre you're interested in. I would say they are slightly more straight laced compared to a jag, more inline with a strat and tele. The jag is just out there on its own.

I think there's room for both to be honest, each have their own merits. But if you held a gun to my head it would be the jaguar, but I've found the shorter scale to be very comfortable and I like how they can cut through. I've finally got my hands on a Johnny Marr Jag and it's pretty much the best guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

What I would say is if you're testing the waters then get something you won't lose too much on if you decide to flip. That jag on eBay is well priced, the Mexican ones expect to lose quite a few hundred from new if you sell.

The trems are the same, the jazzmaster will sound fatter but still nice typical fender single coil. The jag bright and cutting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited September 2018

Thanks all for sharing you knowledge. I really need to try some out, I will do when I next get the chance to go near a guitar shop. On one hand I would like the shorter scale Jag, something different and a contrast to my Strat, as @thermiomic says.

On the other hand a lot of the music I like is made by Jazzmasters. Having recently got a LP copy, the shorter scale makes much less difference that I thought it would. Indeed, I think I feel more at home on the strat scale (it's what I'm used to). It's interesting that both of you state that the shorter scale on the Jag is not that noticeable. Perhaps some make this out to be more of an issue than it really is.  

The one on ebay looks great but if I spent that much I'd need to use finance and buy new. Or I could buy a Squier Vintage Modified Jag or Jazzmaster to see how I get on with them. If money was no object, a Johnny Marr Jaguar.

Of the new 60th anniversary Jazzmaster, having initially favoured the daphne blue, I'm now liking the Fiesta Red.