P90s and maple caps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    axisus said:
    Sporky said:
    Different batteries can have an audible and measurable impact on some effect circuits. Specifically, carbon comp batteries have much higher internal resistance  so as the current draw by the circuit increases  the voltage drops. Reducing the supply voltage in a fuzz or simple dirt circuit affects the sound. 
    I've noticed that if I rip into a hot Slash solo and I have Ever Ready batteries in my distortion box the whole crowd start booing
    Long life or ordinary ones?  I find the Lidl own brand give me more mids without sacrificing clarity at the top end.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    axisus said:
    I've noticed that if I rip into a hot Slash solo and I have Ever Ready batteries in my distortion box the whole crowd start booing
    That audience probably prefers the sound of JoBo signature PP3s. Three times the price for no adequately explored reason.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    Speaking as someone who nails P90s to anything which sits still long enough, I do have a slight preference for all-mahogany guitars with them. I have never played an all-mahogany LP Custom with P90s though, that would be the way to establish if it's the maple which makes the difference or just construction style and weight. 

Having said that, my number one guitar is a full fat Les Paul with a carved maple top, and the effect of all that weight on the attack of the notes outweighs the subtle tonal difference for me. 

Either way, the dominant sound is that of P90s and a decent slab of wood, and I'm not sure I could really tell whether there was maple present if I didn't already know. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    its all down the thickness of the glue layer when maple and mahogany  are stuck together .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    All very amusing sarcasm, but is anyone seriously suggesting that a P90 LP Special sounds the same as a P90 LP Standard? 
    They certainly don't to me. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    p90fool said:
    All very amusing sarcasm, but is anyone seriously suggesting that a P90 LP Special sounds the same as a P90 LP Standard? 
    Certainly not.

I had both at one point (Goldtop & LPS DC) - very different sounding.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    impmann said:
    p90fool said:
    Certainly not.

that double cut sounded fantastic with those novak p90s in it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    impmann said:
    p90fool said:
    Certainly not.

that double cut sounded fantastic with those novak p90s in it
    Regrets... I have a few...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    Something about the trinity of P90s, an all-mahogany guitar and overdriven valve amplification just seems to work. I have no science to explain this. 
    Frequency response. Different combinations of wood, pickups, caps, pots etc give different frequency profiles.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1467
    Sporky said:
    Different batteries can have an audible and measurable impact on some effect circuits. Specifically, carbon comp batteries have much higher internal resistance  so as the current draw by the circuit increases  the voltage drops. Reducing the supply voltage in a fuzz or simple dirt circuit affects the sound. 
    Yep, absolutely - there's a reason why most power supplies for boards have one variable current outlet.

As for the original post, I know the general feeling is that P90s sound best in all-mahogany guitars, but personally I've always preferred them in maple-cap guitars, and my favourite current P90 guitar is alder-bodied with a maple neck and rosewood board. That may be down to the individual pickups in each guitar though
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4142
    The SE245 you had off of me was maple-capped...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    I know and ultimately I sold it on as it was a bit to subtle. Lovely guitar though and I wouldn't mind having it back now.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.