Mostest best solo I’ve heard in yonks.

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
Black Stone Cherry’s Peace Pipe.. 
Been listening to this constantly for the past 6 months! Damn it sounds so goood. 

Starts at 2:19! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xmHECtSux8M
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    It's like nickleback mk2
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1632
    Each to their own but other than the last 10 seconds that solo is largely pointless and by the numbers to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    Yeah, really sorry but I agree with those comments. The native American 'theme' in the lyrics really put me off before we got to the solo. The solo itself just seemed like disjointed licks. Certainly nothing special.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited May 2018
    Just a mix of  riffs from Lynyrd Skynyrd (Freebird/Sweet Home), RHCP (Danni California) with some double guitar akin to Thin Lizzy/Wishbone Ash/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden etc.  It's like they couldn't make up their mind re a style so they thought 'let's do a bit of everything'. 

@skunkwerx if you think that's a good solo, go back and listen to bands from the 70's and you'll hear it's all been done before ...but way better.  

Here's an Iron Maiden harmony guitar compilation - any of those riffs sound familar?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I hate it when people do this on my threads about solos I like, but I do have to concur - I can't really tell what's so special about that. My favourite BSC solo is still at 2:37 in Blind Man, from way back. Not paid much attention to them since this album tbh:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    I wasn’t being harsh and knocking he music for the sake of it but even that one @Bucket it doesn’t do anything for the song. It’s there to put a guitar solo in rather than to take the song anywhere. That’s what I meant by the first one being by numbers. 

I think its hard to make a solo exceptional and stand out. 

I like some solos due to technique - neither of these are that special technically although are well played.

I like some solos because of what they do for the song like This is a low by Blur. 

I like some just just because they are fun like AC/DC solos. 

I just dont get this style of music as it seems really regurgitated and by numbers. Though I dare say these boys are just playing exactly what they love to play and they are doing it a damn sight better than me whilst earning a load of cash so what I think is totally irrelevant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    I had a listen and mostly agree with the comments above...I also thought that some of the timing and feel of the phrasing wasn't that great either (- sorry!)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I rather like what I've heard of the band, but that particular solo didn't set my world alight.

It's virtually impossible to post music here and get a decent thumbs up from a reasonable percentage people. Having said that, I had a rare one recently when I posted what I thought was an incredible Per Nilsson improv. Glad to see that it was appreciated.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Thats music though! For me I love the song and the solo gets me off majorly! 

I guess its my genre too so that helps! 

Whatever sounds good to the individual innit :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    skunkwerx said:
    Thats music though! For me I love the song and the solo gets me off majorly! 

I guess its my genre too so that helps! 

Whatever sounds good to the individual innit :)
    Spot on!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Nope, nothing there that grabs me.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Sorry. Got bored half a bar into the song and switched off.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Haha crazy! 

Really shows how individual we all are. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve heard original solos with original licks in etc, which I always appreciate, but something about that track moves me. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7812

One of my favourite solos that "fits the song" is this:

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Very generic solo, I think it's too quiet and poorly mixed. 
    Paul_C said:

One of my favourite solos that "fits the song" is this:

Great solo. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    Nothing wrong with it but it's very generic and just a slightly beefed up version of exactly the same licks that Lynnrd Skynnrd were doing 40 years ago........
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    Two great solos in here:

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    It's just general rock music which i do like if I'm in an angry mood which is quite alot now,  i really liked monster truck for straight up loud rock too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    I was just listening to some of the new Ry Cooder live in the studio stuff before this.  :s