The pain of getting older

What's Hot

Comments

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Dopesick said:
    Well isn't it all sunshine and rainbows in here.
    Of course it isn't sunshine like you used to get when I was young. This modern stuff is all washed out and doesn't warm you up properly.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Dopesick said:
    Well isn't it all sunshine and rainbows in here.
    That implies a fair bit of rain not far away
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    What advice would you give somebody in their 30s right now? :lol:
    Walk a lot. My mom is 87 and has never done any specific exercise regimen. But she has walked a lot all her life - fell walking in the Lake District for as long as she could and then just flat walking around town. I'm convinced it has helped keep her in good shape. I was visiting her the past couple of days, and she kept up with me pretty well (and the little town she lives in has some steep streets).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    existential fridge dementia.

when you go to the fridge.
    open the door.
    stare into the void.
    and ask yourself 'why am i here?'

i get that every single day of my life now. in my 30s!
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    the other one i get is

'oh that vale, she's so sweet & tolerant & open-minded... she never bears grudges.'

no. i don't remember grudges. different thing.

if you called me fat or stupid or a c*nt yesterday, i probably still hate you deep down.

but conscious me has just forgotten which 'you' said it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    but remembering your original point finally, i would say exactly what the others have said about sport.

everyone i know who is limping around now with bad knees & hips & backs in their 50s & 60s was into football (&/or tennis a bit, & heavy running too) when they were younger. i don't know any rugby players or boxers but probably applies there too.
    so if you are into your sport & still want to be happily mobile in your 50s, maybe choose low impact sports like swimming (maybe cycling, not sure about that on knees), or a hobby exercise like yoga & walking.

i've only been able to afford a car and drive for a couple of years of my life, the rest has been cycling & walking just to get anywhere, which done regularly (daily even) adds up.
    & i use a cross trainer now (up the hill & down the hill briskly for 30 mins a few times a week, not mental thrashing at it) as i have been not well (other things) for a while. but nearing 40 and no creaks or grinding or aches anywhere yet.

one thing i will say about 'perpetual sports injury people' i know generally, is that there are far more men than women (women runners & their knees one exception) among them. you may know (or be) the the ones i mean?

they sit behind a desk or in a van five days a week, maybe go shopping with the lady on saturday & gig/event in the evening. so far so good.
    but then they arise all spunked up & kamikazee on sunday morning and race off down to the rec, park, football ground to kick merry hell out of another like-minded gang of maniacs for a couple of hours,

then roll back in at 9pm after a day in a&e with something swaddled or strapped up or in a sling... wanting pity & affection? haha, sorry, self-inflicted. now get those bins out, you cripple!

so that is a thing. pick a sport a healthy human body can sustain over a lifetime or accept the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33805
    Well, there is the alternative.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    Sport for older people: Play golf, squash or cricket.  You don't become a 'has been' when you turn 30.

My one piece of advice is: to try to learn something new every day.  I took up bass when around the 60 mark and did a music theory course earlier this year.  And I am learning to play piano by ear, started mid Spring this year.  My point is, don't ever think you are past it and that learning a new trick is difficult/impossible. Just do it and keep on doing it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Well I'm 48 in October.
    I find I can't sleep at night but need a nap in the day.
    I guess nature never intended us to live beyond 50.
    What! You're only 48 ... I think you need a blood test .. (seriously).

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Rocker said:
    Sport for older people: Play golf, squash or cricket.  You don't become a 'has been' when you turn 30.

My one piece of advice is: to try to learn something new every day.  I took up bass when around the 60 mark and did a music theory course earlier this year.  And I am learning to play piano by ear, started mid Spring this year.  My point is, don't ever think you are past it and that learning a new trick is difficult/impossible. Just do it and keep on doing it.
    Golf is great - if it's not all done in golf carts - it's quite a lot of walking involved apart from the physical aspect of the game itself. I have just started but usually manage similar amount of daily steps target as my one hour power walks (over 10k) within few hours. Fun too.
    Squash? Hmm, not sure- it can be pretty heavy on knees and ankles, and if it's competitive (95% of the time with blokes) then "taking it easy" is rarely an option.
    Exercise wise - I'd second walking. It's doable for everyone- you can choose your paths, pace, difficulty, hills or flat, long ones, short ones - no money or memberships needed too. Do it for few hours a week and enjoy your life for longer ;-)
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Fretwired said:
    Well I'm 48 in October.
    I know why I can't sleep. Stress. The joys of trying to bring up two Autistic teenagers.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    @vale - much sense in those three posts.

I'm pleased to see you're back with us  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    @vale - much sense in those three posts.

I'm pleased to see you're back with us  :)
    that's very kind of you Nitefly, thank you for the thought. it's nice to be back.

my health is all over the place at them moment, which sometimes makes me talky & sometimes makes me grumpy. so i'm here when i'm talky & keep my own counsel when grumpy.
    i neither flounce my departures or trumpet my return, rather just wander in & out, stray cat or poltergeist fashion, as is my wont.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I'm 50 this year but have the cards system of a 25 year old, I'm a keen cyclist and race time trials most weeks. In the winter I hit the turbo and get some muddy off road stuff in. To keep on you've got to keep on it and keep up intenisty - Intervals are your friend even if they hurt. good diet helps, but i'm no monk and enjoy a beer or two. 

I point blank refuse to let age catch up I've had injuries and illness but through sensible recovery and being willing to punish myself in training I feel fit and healthy. Oh and take cod-liver oil ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Nikc said:
    ......................................................................... Oh and take cod-liver oil ;)
    Well I can do that bit. :)
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Im 18 till i die.Birth certificate says im 52? Whats that about. If i got run over it would look like i had just robbed a chemist. There would be Ibuprophen,co codamol,diclofenac,tramadol.omeprazol Vicks inhaler,otex ,nivea moisteuriser but no condoms funnily enough all over the road.  if you think your self old at 50 and live till 80 then you will have been old for 30 years. why not think yourself old at 79 and be old for a year. 
    My back is killing me, that and a 2yr old whos only word seems to be "carry". 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12385
    Rocker said:

My mother is coming up to 93, has never done any sport or physical activity in her life and has only had a couple of minor medical issues. The most taxing thing she does is the crossword in the Daily Mail. 

My old brother in law was fit as a flea, ran cross country for England in his 20s and played badminton at county level up into his 50s. He died of lung and heart problems at 62.

Apparently it’s sport that kills you.  ;)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    boogieman said:

If you're fit you don't need to exercise. If you're not, you shouldn't ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Fretwired said:
    Well I'm 48 in October.
    I know why I can't sleep. Stress. The joys of trying to bring up two Autistic teenagers.
    Two! Wow.. I've found it hard enough bringing up one!  
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    boogieman said:
    Rocker said:

My mother is coming up to 93, has never done any sport or physical activity in her life and has only had a couple of minor medical issues. The most taxing thing she does is the crossword in the Daily Mail. 

My old brother in law was fit as a flea, ran cross country for England in his 20s and played badminton at county level up into his 50s. He died of lung and heart problems at 62.

If she is 93 she didn't have time for sport or exercise. All that manual housework and bringing up a family without mod cons had some benefits. My Grandmother lived to 96 and for 94 of those years would happily walk miles in a day. Until she was 65 she kept a large farmhouse spotless, cleaned the local chappel and had two additional  cleaning jobs in other peoples houses as well as being a brilliant cook that made everything from scratch without a food processor. Luckily she couldn't afford a gym membership!