The pain of getting older

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4668
Well I'm 48 in October. Until last year I felt much younger but all of a sudden age has not just crept up on me but literally jumped up in my face.
Months ago I tripped up and landed on my hand. No skin broken but the bone underneath still feels tender.
Last month I fell off my bike (whilst stationary) landed on my other hand pulling a muscle in my shoulder, it's taking an age the get better.
I find I can't sleep at night but need a nap in the day.
I guess nature never intended us to live beyond 50.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    edited May 2018
    Have managed to trundle past 50 and even to 60+
    However I would like to say it all gets easier as you age, but that' bullocks. 
    More aches and pains, theres' more and more stuff you struggle to do .
    Only retirement helps as you get more time to do the stuff that previously took seconds.
    Real pisser is that guitar stuff takes longer to learn!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

Our bodies die while we're still trying to live in them

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    I'm in two minds about this. 
    Years ago an elderly bloke said to me, "I entered my fifties as a young man, and left them as an old man."
    I know there's a grain of truth in that for a lot of people.
    But I also see how much is variable too, and which factors consistently lead to poorer health -- because that's the bit where you feel age most. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8789
    All your life you’ve learned to work with your body as it developed. It’s still developing, although not necessarily in the direction you’d like. Being alive is still better than the alternative.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    everything still just about hanging in there but it takes me a hour to have piss these days
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Does your partner/family say things like "ooh, did you have one of your falls?", in a really sarcastic voice now?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4668
    Nah I just get. "You old bastard". Trouble is my 14 year old wants me to be Mr action man dad, but I just can't keep up.I fell of my bike trying to pull a wheelie 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72742
    I’m 50. I tried to lift a Fender Twin (135W, the heavy one) onto my workbench yesterday... I had to do it in two stages onto a step first so I didn’t hurt myself, and even then it was a real effort. Only a couple of years ago it wouldn’t have been a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1246
    And one of the weird cruelties of getting older that no one ever tells you when you're young - your testicles swing lower and lower and lower...

I sat on mine the other day.  That was a fucking shock, I can tell you.

I guess when I'm 60 I'll be worrying about someone else sitting on them?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    24reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11383
    If I can get up in the morning and find that there are no new bits hurting that's a bonus.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I'm 52. My mindset has changed considerably. At 49, I never thought about pensions or retirement, etc. Now, all I do is work out how soon I could afford to retire ("not very" is the answer :(). Perhaps its somewhat personal as my own career has plateaued but I do think there is a bit of biology in it too. 
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 336
    bunch of youngsters :) ...
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1100
    I’m nowhere near 50 but I already feel like I’m there, it takes me a couple of days to recover from a late nighter and my knees are starting to give way esp when I play shows. 

I can’t go out on mad benders anymore and struggle to sleep in anywhere else but my own bed.

Ive been paying into a pension since 22 but don’t admit to anyone.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Another 50 year old here. Back is knackered, ended up walking with sticks for a few weeks last year. Random aches and pains daily, normally in hips and knees. Had to get varifocals so that I can read restaurant menus that are invariably in tiny font in a similar colour to the fancy paper they are printed them on and there is never enough light. Will have to work for another 17 bloody years by which point none of me will function properly.  On the plus side, still got my own teeth!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    What advice would you give somebody in their 30s right now? :lol:
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2210
    edited May 2018
    What advice would you give somebody in their 30s right now? lol
    Look after your ears and your back.

My wife complains about the volume of the TV and, these days, my gear choices are more about "how much does it weigh" than "how does it sound".

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2811
    Well I'm 48 in October. Until last year I felt much younger but all of a sudden age has not just crept up on me but literally jumped up in my face.
    Months ago I tripped up and landed on my hand. No skin broken but the bone underneath still feels tender.
    Last month I fell off my bike (whilst stationary) landed on my other hand pulling a muscle in my shoulder, it's taking an age the get better.
    I find I can't sleep at night but need a nap in the day.
    I guess nature never intended us to live beyond 50.
    Please take the opportunity to go and have a blood test at your doctors

these things happen for a reason, and there are lots and lots of conditions which start off small and can be dealt with easily if done early.  

This is is the age when your GP will be pleased to see you for apparently trivial issues, and yet still most men do not go because they think they are trivial.  Yet it is at this point that the doctors can do something about them.

(i speak from experience). Go and get checked even for the benefit of being given the all clear
  • At 54 I just completed my first Ironman 70.3. 
    Unfortunately I can't remember things and have had cause to recently google both Jamie, you know, the tv chef chap (Oliver) and Guy, you know, the greasy truck mechanic / bike racer (Martin).
    I fear that not before too long I'll leave work and have forgotten where I live...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15662
    I broke and bruised a fair few bones and joints as a young man, being involved with martial arts, boxing and playing rugby, and generally shook off minor stuff in a few weeks. About 3 years ago (aged 45) I broke a finger and I reckon it was a year at least before it was what you might call better, and that was with physio. I can still put in the same hard work I could 10 years ago, but now it takes me a day off to recover. :(

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10348

I've literally just had a 'senior' moment while sat here reading this on my smart phone.Just noticed it's nearly flat,so grabbed the nearest charger and proceeded to try and plug it into....

.....my caesar salad wrap that I'm eating at the same time.

I'm 'only' 48.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom