Terrible fret buzz on Fender Strat 50's Classic Series.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited July 2018 in Guitar
I thought I'd get out my Fender Classic Series 50's Strat that I haven't really played since buying it new a while ago and there is terrible fret buzz on all strings at the fourth fret, nowhere else just the fourth. What could be causing this please? It's such a shame as it's a lovely guitar but the fret buzz is awful, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Fret might have lifted.. neck might have shifted due to humidity changes.. or it could be any number of other small factors.

As it’s not been played for a while I’d say a set up would do it the world of good
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    If only that fret and all 6 strings, then suspicion points to the itself fret lifting

If it was a defect string then it would only be one string itself
    If a neck relief issue then I'd expect buzzing on far more frets, ditto with to low an action

Not sure if you can see it has lifted when you look at the fret - Sometimes can be tapped back in - Use small block or lollipop stick and gently tap back in - If this doesn't work then it will be work for a guitar tech to replace accordingly
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    Put a credit card or straightedge on the 5th fret. If the ends rock back and forth over the 4th & 6th then the 5th fret is too high. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    also - maybe has lightweight strings on - 9s? If so, try putting set of 10s on.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sounds suspiciously like neck relief or a high 5th fret
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you all for your help, when I've got time I'll check to see if it's a high fret. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    sounds like it could be a worn nut slot to me 
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    kt66 said:
    sounds like it could be a worn nut slot to me 
    The open string would buzz if that were the case.
    I've checked to see if a fret has lifted using a straight edge and can't find anything wrong with the frets. I really am unhappy with it but I guess I've left it too late for the store I got it from to do anything. It is my first foray into new Fenders and it's put a right downer on things, is it worth contacting Fender do you think? I really don't want a £650 guitar lying around that I can't use.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Might be worth trying the shop, even if they won't sort it they will probably identify and give you a quote to fix. Have you changed anything else on the guitar like blocking the trem or adjusting the saddle height?
    enjo said:
    Might be worth trying the shop, even if they won't sort it they will probably identify and give you a quote to fix. Have you changed anything else on the guitar like blocking the trem or adjusting the saddle height?
    @enjo Nope, I haven't changed a thing. It has obviously been like this from new so am a bit annoyed at the prospect of paying for it to be fixed, although I guess it's my fault for not giving it a proper check over when I first received it.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @zepp76 once again we have some of the same gear! I’ve had the 50’s (want another) I have a 70’s. 

Firstly i I would take the guitar to be set up for your needs. All new guitars I have ever bought have needed that right away. If anything it will improve your happiness with the guitar immeasurably. 

Ps, strats sound great with the amps you have but buy a fuzz and you will be grinning from ear to ear.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14526
    sweepy said:
    Sounds suspiciously like neck relief or a high 5th fret
    +1

If the frets pass the rocker tool test, then, the fifth fret is not high and the fourth is not low.

Choking towards the nut end of the neck suggests incorrect truss rod relief adjustment.

57Deluxe said:
    maybe has lightweight strings on - 9s? If so, try putting set of 10s on.
    If the guitar was set up for 10-46 or 10-48 gauge strings and, then, the tension dropped, the relief will need resetting. 9-42 strings would create insufficient tension against the truss rod. So would tens if the guitar is drop tuned to Eb.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Am I imagining things or is there a Fender U.K rep that sometimes frequents these pages? Maybe I can talk to him/her about getting this sorted.

The guitar has in no way been messed with or fettled since I bought it new so the problem must have been there from the get go.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    My first course of action would be to take it back to where you bought it from and negotiate a free or heavily discounted setup.
    It may well be that there’s not very much at all wrong with the guitar that a Setup won’t sort.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    zepp76 said:
    I've checked to see if a fret has lifted using a straight edge and can't find anything wrong with the frets. I really am unhappy with it but I guess I've left it too late for the store I got it from to do anything. It is my first foray into new Fenders and it's put a right downer on things, is it worth contacting Fender do you think? I really don't want a £650 guitar lying around that I can't use.

Did you adjust the neck so that it was flat when you did this? I believe the tool for this is called a notched straightedge. If the board isn't flat, then you can't tell if the frets are the same level or not.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    edited July 2018
    zepp76 said:
    Am I imagining things or is there a Fender U.K rep that sometimes frequents these pages? Maybe I can talk to him/her about getting this sorted.

@MattFGBI ;
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Back bowed neck, therefore slacken ye truss rod.

Remember, righty tighty lefty loosey.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    zepp76 said:
    I thought I'd get out my Fender Classic Series 50's Strat that I haven't really played since buying it new a while ago and there is terrible fret buzz on all strings at the fourth fret, nowhere else just the fourth. What could be causing this please? It's such a shame as it's a lovely guitar but the fret buzz is awful, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    If it's less than a couple of years old it will be covered under warranty if it's a manufacturing fault. My advice would be to return it to the shop and we can pick it up from there and inspect it for you. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

MattFGBI said:
    zepp76 said:
    If it's less than a couple of years old it will be covered under warranty if it's a manufacturing fault. My advice would be to return it to the shop and we can pick it up from there and inspect it for you. 
    @MattFGBI That's great thank you. I purchased the guitar on the 26th September 2017 so it is less than a year old. The only problem I have is I purchased it from GAK through eBay so don't have a transaction number as eBay don't hold that information after a certain amount of time. I have emailed GAK and hopefully they may be able to help.