WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Please please, Brazil fail. Normally we all love Brazil to do well as they are so entertaining, but I absolutely HATE that serial cheating pansy Neymar. He is worse than Ronaldo. They should both take lessons from Messi as to how to be a great player with dignity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    To the Tower with the pair of you....

12-2 I tell yer, Kane to get 9, Pickford, and Southgate to account for the remainder.

Mark my farkin words.......
    Or more likely a shaky 1-0 via an 89th minute scuffed goal from Stirling. As long as we win though.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Naturally I want England to win the World Cup, but failing that, I rather like Belgium. They would be my second choice to win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    axisus said:
    Naturally I want England to win the World Cup, but failing that, I rather like Belgium. They would be my second choice to win.
    Normally, Brazil would be my second choice to win, but not with Neymar in the side.

The Brazilian management should send him home.  That kind of behaviour is unacceptable.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Can’t bear that odious little turd Neymar.

With such a low pain threshold he must need a general anaesthetic every time he gets another tattoo.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • boogieman said:
    To the Tower with the pair of you....

12-2 I tell yer, Kane to get 9, Pickford, and Southgate to account for the remainder.

Mark my farkin words.......
    Or more likely a shaky 1-0 via an 89th minute scuffed goal from Stirling. As long as we win though.  ;)
    I think my predicted scoreline is far more realistic than your idea of Sterling scoring...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Brazil disappointed me, lovely football but cheats and cynical fouls spoil what should be a celebration.

England to win tonight. Today is Mrs Rockers and my 36th Wedding Anniversary. We are going out for a celebratory meal this evening so I will miss the game. The game might go to penalties......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I think for both England and Columbia, whoever wins faces an easier game next...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    3-2 Columbia. England carry a goal threat, but very iffy defense and keeper. 
    quarky said:
    I think for both England and Columbia, whoever wins faces an easier game next...
    What you mean like Iceland was in the Euros?
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Colombia to win on penalties.

We'd go out, but the ultimate silver lining would be for Vincent Kompany to break Neymar's legs on Friday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    axisus said:
    quarky said:
    Don't quite see the connection, but I think Columbia are a better side than Switzerland or Sweden. I think England are as well. Doesn't mean the winner of this game would beat the winner of that game, but I bet they are favourites.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    quarky said:
    axisus said:
    quarky said:
    Don't quite see the connection, but I think Columbia are a better side than Switzerland or Sweden. I think England are as well. Doesn't mean the winner of this game would beat the winner of that game, but I bet they are favourites.
    Switzerland are ranked some way above us in the FIFA world rankings..

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Watching it tonight in France on a large campsite. Guessing with so many other nationalities here then Columbia will get more support then England will from a few of us that are here.

looks like it will have to be a case of 'take 'em on'
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    quarky said:
    axisus said:
    quarky said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the rankings.  While the most recent results carry the most weight, they do include results over 4 years.  England are playing far better now than we were.

Meanwhile several sides above us in the rankings didn't even get out of their groups.  Most notably Germany (number 1 in the rankings), Poland (8), and Peru (11).  Chile are ranked 9 and didn't even get to the World Cup.

Based on the performances of the likes of Peru and Argentina so far in this world cup, the rankings seem to rank the South American sides too highly.  Especially when you think that Chile are at 9 and weren't good enough to qualify ahead of either of them.  There are 5 South American sides in the top 14 of the rankings, which definitely seems too many.

World rankings can also be gamed by picking the right opposition to play (or not play) in friendlies:

https://www.givemesport.com/1195641-how-poland-have-played-the-fifa-rankings-to-reach-pot-one-in-the-world-cup-draw

Having said all that, we will still probably find a way to lose tonight, but it won't be because of the rankings of the sides.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    crunchman said:
    quarky said:
    axisus said:
    quarky said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the rankings.  While the most recent results carry the most weight, they do include results over 4 years.  England are playing far better now than we were.

Meanwhile several sides above us in the rankings didn't even get out of their groups.  Most notably Germany (number 1 in the rankings), Poland (8), and Peru (11).  Chile are ranked 9 and didn't even get to the World Cup.

Based on the performances of the likes of Peru and Argentina so far in this world cup, the rankings seem to rank the South American sides too highly.  Especially when you think that Chile are at 9 and weren't good enough to qualify ahead of either of them.  There are 5 South American sides in the top 14 of the rankings, which definitely seems too many.

World rankings can also be gamed by picking the right opposition to play (or not play) in friendlies:

https://www.givemesport.com/1195641-how-poland-have-played-the-fifa-rankings-to-reach-pot-one-in-the-world-cup-draw

Having said all that, we will still probably find a way to lose tonight, but it won't be because of the rankings of the sides.

Or, who knows but we will probably screw it up..
    quarky said:
    axisus said:
    quarky said:

Which means nothing.

The two teams have met in 2014 and 2015 with England winning 2-0 both times. Switzerland's team is broadly the same since then (or at least the good players are). They are a good side but lack concentration, they have no real pedigree against the bigger sides. Both England or Columbia ought to beat them. 

Xhaka and Shaquiri are the superstars and neither has quite reached the heights expected of them. Embrolo also hasn't been as good as they thought he would be.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Is it me or is everyone in this country underestimating the Colombians?

I'm certainly not - in this comp England are only just ahead of them on goal diff, and that's down to getting 6 past Panama.  I hope we'll see another great game tonight, England 2-1.