WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24320
    The "pause slightly in the run to the ball so you can see which way the keeper is going to dive, then simply kick it in the other side" technique seems to be extremely effective.  I have to question the sanity of any player not doing that in a World Cup shootout.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2018
    I think you lose a lot of power in doing so. If you can smash it into net accurately, it can be pretty hard even if the goalie goes the right way. So horses for courses I guess.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Emp_Fab said:
    The "pause slightly in the run to the ball so you can see which way the keeper is going to dive, then simply kick it in the other side" technique seems to be extremely effective.  I have to question the sanity of any player not doing that in a World Cup shootout.
    The "stagger step" is an effective method but you aren't allowed to actually pause (stop) on the run up. It's illegal and would require the penalty being retaken. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Because goalies usually dive to one side or the other it’s said that smashing it down the middle is the safest option. However, footballers don’t like doing this because if it’s saved it looks like they didn’t really try. 

I would have thought that years of muscle memory would take over and it would be hard to miss completely but the ex footballers as pundits say they pressure is so great on you at that point you can just be overwhelmed. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Emp_Fab said:
    So, is putting it in the top corner of the net and I'd have to question the wage packet of a player that couldn't do that.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    You would think every player would have one penalty spot where the keeper cannot save it, top corner and practice it all the time so if they ever take one they know they can score, but I can't imagine the pressure of having your countrys hopes on your shoulders.

Great interview with Stuart Pierce of 5 live on saturday, he said he was so fired up by the boos he got after missing in 90 that he scored 16 goals from open play in the league that season.  He said in 96 he could feel the fans tension as he walked up but he knew he would score as he knew what missing felt like.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    quarky said:
    If the favourites are going out regularly, England will have to buck that trend against Columbia, where we will be favourites... You would expect them to, but who knows in this World Cup.
    If England are favourites it’s not by much. Colombia are only three places lower in the world rankings. Over the last year they have drawn with Brazil and Spain and beaten a strong French team 3-2 in Paris, where France beat England 3-2. England have also drawn with Spain  + Brazil in the last year. Not much between them,could be a close game 

I think the bookies odds paint a better picture than the FIFA rankings, Columbia a 30% chance and England a 50% chance of winning if my maths is right.  I assume that's in normal time.

Also note sorry Poland are above England in the world Rankings.

That said, we all know, anything could happen.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Something I noticed about Schmeichel last night, when he saved the first penalty from Modric - he went the right way but also moved forward as he went, thus making himself a bigger target.

I haven't noticed whether or not other goalies do that - is it just him?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Nitefly said:
    Something I noticed about Schmeichel last night, when he saved the first penalty from Modric - he went the right way but also moved forward as he went, thus making himself a bigger target.

I haven't noticed whether or not other goalies do that - is it just him?

Goalies have always moved forwards.  They are supposed to stay on the line until the ball is kicked, but they will try to move forwards a bit before to gain a bit of an advantage.

Things aren't as bad as they used to be.  If it is really blatant, refs these days are more likely to order it to be retaken.  I can't find it on YouTube, but there were keepers who would move way too early, and end up 3 or 4 paces closer to the penalty taker.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Hello Japan!
    Had bits of the Brazil game on the radio, great game as far as I can tell from R5. Favourites now surely. 
    Currently being stunned by Japan. 
    ...spoke too soon. Amazing header! 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Ooops.
    ...and again. 2-2. I think the Belgians have just worked out they are taller than the Japanese and can head everything in. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Gutted for Japan there. Great second half, very entertaining stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Deadman said:
    Gutted for Japan there. Great second half, very entertaining stuff.
    I’m gutted for them as well. They played football the way it should be played - none of this defensive, negative, parking the bus bollocks - attacking til the end. 

Still think Belgium are overhyped though, despite their hard fought comeback.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Brazil aren't the tallest.  Belgium ought to play Fellaini from the start.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Well. Squeaky bum time starts now. Colombia!? I'm saying nowt.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    Cracking second half, tough on Japan but they didn't manage the final couple of minutes well.