WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I'd do away with it. Definitely. Just a bit more exciting than a friendly game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Oh dear, what a poor game from England (v Belgium). Same problems as previous matches... no penetration from the midfield, just hopeful crosses from the wing, with nobody in the box to do anything with them. I wonder if they would’ve managed to perform better if we’d squeaked past Croatia? On today’s performance I think France would have put 4 or 5 past Pickford. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    England don't have a playmaker in the squad. And despite the fact that both Rashford and Sterling can catch pigeons, we don't have any pace in the team.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    So all said and done, we beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden...Southgate isn't exactly turning water into wine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    edited July 2018
    If England don’t qualify for a tournament we are shit.
    Out at the group stages? Shit.
    Dont get past last 16? Shit.
    Lose a penalty shootout? Shit.
    Dont get past quarters? Shit.
    Get beaten in the semis? Shit.

If Young had have kept his mark and that Croatian  goal hadn’t gone in and we had beaten them 1-0 we’d be shit because France might have beaten us.

If we’d have squeaked past France in the final by fluke we would still be shit for some reason or other. 

I see no point in these threads any more. I see no point in commentary, pundits, the media or any commentary on England as a national football team. Let’s just accept the fact that no matter who, or no matter what they do or don’t achieve, the majority of English people will just shrug and say “England are shit. End of.”

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Only caught the first half but looks like I didn't miss much. 4th place is still better than most would have expected, but there's a severe lack of creativity in that midfield. Someone like Ozil for Germany, Xavi and Iniesta for Spain previously, someone to see that killer ball into the attacking third. Could Wilshere have done it? What about if Oxlade-Chamberlain was fit? Ross Barkley likes to attack as well, so that TYPE of player is what we need. I thought Dele Alli would be a no.10 but he hasn't really performed and Lingard is more of a dribbler. Or even Shelvey perhaps? Again I don't see what Jordan Henderson adds to the team apart from fitness and running.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited July 2018
    Overall I think it’s been a decent tournament for us. We’ve shown passion, and anyone who discredits our progress by saying we’ve been drawn against easy teams can fuck off.

I want to say however that Sterling is not as good as he thinks he is, and lacks game intelligence, or just intelligence in general. Outside of Man City where he is made to look good by the stars around him, he’s nothing but a headless chicken on steroids. 

Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2018
    They (England) were better in the second half.

At the beginning most accepted that this was a team stronger than the sum of its parts, and that is what they have continued to be. Not world beaters, but semi-finalists. Still a fantastic achievement, I really don't understand what some people expect.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Belgium are a strong team and I take my hat off to them. What I think any English footie fan must find excruciatingly painful is the fact that many chances were squandered against Croatia when ENG were winning 1-0. This world cup has been particularly fair in my opinion: France, Croatia, England and Belgium have been by far the best teams.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    IvanMC said:
    Belgium are a strong team and I take my hat off to them. What I think any English footie fan must find excruciatingly painful is the fact that many chances were squandered against Croatia when ENG were winning 1-0. This world cup has been particularly fair in my opinion: France, Croatia, England and Belgium have been by far the best teams.
    And in 2016 after the Iceland defeat if I’d have posted on here saying “I guarantee we will be 4th in the World Cup in 2018” I’d have been lol trolled into next century with the chorus of “England are shit and always will be”
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    I think before the tournament started we'd have all accepted 4th - Especially having had so many bad previous WC's

Yes there is room for improvement and I'm sure Gareth knows that - With the probable exception of Jack Wilshire, I don't see many players back home that should have made the trip - So a bigger problem will be finding additional youngsters to develop into becoming better players for the next 2/3 tournaments - After all, only a few months ago the U19's won the WC, but are the likes of Lewis Cook going to morph into a Modric ?

Remember that quite a large % of the team/squad are not regular players in their own club team - Stone for starters, ditto Lingard, Delph, Rose, Rashford - Not much Gareth can do about this, but shows he has to work with what he has - And in doing so we have to accept our own limitations

Like many, after having to tolerate a mediocre team in such tournaments for so many years, you can't be to bothered to follow the national team to much - Club before country for so many, but at least Gareth has put some pride back and a purpose to how they should play
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    I think before the tournament started we'd have all accepted 4th - Especially having had so many bad previous WC's

Yes there is room for improvement and I'm sure Gareth knows that - With the probable exception of Jack Wilshire, I don't see many players back home that should have made the trip - So a bigger problem will be finding additional youngsters to develop into becoming better players for the next 2/3 tournaments - After all, only a few months ago the U19's won the WC, but are the likes of Lewis Cook going to morph into a Modric ?

Remember that quite a large % of the team/squad are not regular players in their own club team - Stone for starters, ditto Lingard, Delph, Rose, Rashford - Not much Gareth can do about this, but shows he has to work with what he has - And in doing so we have to accept our own limitations

Like many, after having to tolerate a mediocre team in such tournaments for so many years, you can't be to bothered to follow the national team to much - Club before country for so many, but at least Gareth has put some pride back and a purpose to how they should play
    Oxlade-Chamberlain would have been a bit of an improvement.  Lallana has a lot more brains than Dele Alli as well.

Joe Gomez would probably have made the trip had he been fit.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2018
    Yup I think Lallana would have been a huge help, as would have the Ox.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    crunchman said:

With the probable exception of Jack Wilshire, I don't see many players back home that should have made the trip -
    Oxlade-Chamberlain would have been a bit of an improvement.  Lallana has a lot more brains than Dele Alli as well.

Lascelles and Shelvey should of been in the squad.

Maybe not starters but certainly worthy of places ahead of Jones and Dier.
    DanR said:
    crunchman said:

With the probable exception of Jack Wilshire, I don't see many players back home that should have made the trip -

Lascelles and Shelvey should of been in the squad.

Maybe not starters but certainly worthy of places ahead of Jones and Dier.

Shelvey is just too emotional imo, the bigger the game the more chance he gets sent off.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    underdog said:
    Shelvey is just too emotional imo, the bigger the game the more chance he gets sent off.
    He's been better this season but he would of been a good option to bring on as advised he can see a pass and is more creative than any of our other players.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    surely VAR has to be clear cut to over ride a decision - That was IMO marginal at best - I dare say a defending team will say otherwise compared to the attacking team - But certainly not a clear cut decision IMO to over ride the original decision
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2527
    surely VAR has to be clear cut to over ride a decision - That was IMO marginal at best - I dare say a defending team will say otherwise compared to the attacking team - But certainly not a clear cut decision IMO to over ride the original decision
    If it takes that long to make the decision then it cannot be a pen surely!
    France winning despite doing virtually nothing positive in the game
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Meanwhile in actual correct refereeing decision land it’s 2-1 to Croatia