I'd expect better from a Fender custom shop relic

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
I like aged guitars if they are done well, but this looks pretty naff to me from the Fender Custom shop. Yours for £2899.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jim54Jim54 Frets: 257
    That relicing does look shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I've never seen any vintage guitar look remotely like the relic stuff being sold
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Some goon will buy it :/ and then claim its the best strat they have ever played, when they sell it on.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Haha, brilliant :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10270
    edited June 2018
    I've never seen any vintage guitar look remotely like the relic stuff being sold
    Check out Stevie Ray, John Frusicante or Rory Gallaghers Strats. Keith's Micawber Tele.

There are loads of completely worn famous guitars.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Not great by any means but I've probably seen worse.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Bucket said:
    Search Nash guitars 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    Search Nash guitars 
    Of what I’ve seen in person, I agree. Although, I haven’t played one yet. I’ll get a chance in 3 weeks hopefully 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Check out Stevie Ray, John Frusicante or Rory Gallaghers Strats. Keith's Micawber Tele.

nowt like that mate.
    abortions the lotof them...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    The relicing is pityful but that Firemist Gold is absolutely stunning.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2018
    I don't get why the Fender CS don't seem to be able to nail a good, realistic-looking level of wear. It's that stuff that gives relics a bad name, when there are plenty of small shops out there, on either side of the Atlantic, who can do a far more convincing job. My MJT for example:

https://i.imgur.com/mKv9SMW.png

https://i.imgur.com/5KHLGTs.jpg

Numerous little dings, lots of lacquer cracking and the finish is a bit chewed up around the edges and neck heel etc, which is all realistic and not overdone. Some of the stuff you see from Fender just looks like a scattergun towed-around-the-car-park approach.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Fender can do legit stuff

https://i.imgur.com/gN9TNwY.jpg

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited June 2018
    I'm not sure if this is a real custom shop relic job but it's absolutely rubbish. Found on Ebay

LOL - so realistic!

6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    My relic strat. Dunno if it is an authentic relic or not and couldn't give 2 hoots. It sounded fucking epic in last nights gig
    https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5596/30316813294_be238174ee_k_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5729/31023710781_22fa5a4477_k_d.jpgb

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6908
    axisus said:
    I like aged guitars if they are done well, but this looks pretty naff to me from the Fender Custom shop. Yours for £2899.

That strumming arm wear looks like it was made by someone was wearing coarse sandpaper clothing! Is that what they wore in the old days?!?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9351
    Not necessarily defending, but people have set ideas on how a relic should look. Most of the vintage I’ve seen have worn nothing like I’d have expected. I remember people slating the Brad Paisley road worn for the arm wear, yet that’s how his guitars have worn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader

ok i should've said in person those heavy worn well played guitars are in the minority imo

Trying to replicate heavy wear is bloody difficult and not many are that well done, there's a fine line between good and shit 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I think, to coin a popular expression, Fender CS have jumped the shark with the whole relicing thing.

I'm not a big fan or relics but own a couple, one of which is a CS. From memory it's a 2012 and it's a heavy relic according to the certificate but it has way less paint rasped off than the current heavy relics. It's like exposure to relics has dulled Fender's (and people in general) perception of when enough is enough.

The opposing view, often given, is that relicing is an art form in it's own right and the point isn't to make look guitars look naturally aged. This may be becoming true but it is absurd.

I've taken to un-relicing guitars - with my CS I polished the paint back up to shine and did my best to repolish the hardware, and I spent yesterday un-relicing a Spitfire pickguard that looked like the bevel had been "aged" with turmeric!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Just to add - Most Fender CS relics I've seen I actually liked. It's just that one that looks like a real turkey.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited June 2018
    mrkb said:
    axisus said:

That strumming arm wear looks like it was made by someone was wearing coarse sandpaper clothing! Is that what they wore in the old days?!?
    He wore cufflinks! The aged player also drooled a lot, hence the wear above the neck pickup.
This discussion has been closed.