I'd expect better from a Fender custom shop relic

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    poopot said:
    Just out of curiosity... what do folk consider to be “accurate wear” on a guitar?...

below are three guitars that are known to me (two are mine and the other is a mates) all show totally different degrees of “wear”...

1 of the guitars has been “artificialy aged” the other 2 guitars look the way they are through being used week in week out!... 

So... which is the “relic”?
    the last one
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6909
    rsvmark said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Danny1969 said:

I was looking at an SRV relic the other day and wondering what the guy did to make it look like that. I mean I've got guitars that have done thousands of gigs ... my old Ibanez RD did 520 gigs just on Monday nights alone between 88 and 98 let alone the 2000 odd gigs on Thurs, Frid, Sat and Sundays. It was never in a hard case, just a basic soft case and it lived mainly in the band van regardless of the weather and yet other than fading and a few chips off the paint it's in good nick. 
    My 1984 Tokia Strat is the same ...
    I honestly think some famous people deliberately distress their guitars which is kind of uncool 
    Acidic sweat allegedly. Have you ever seen some people’s strings that turn black very quickly? I asssume it’s the same thing.
    Serious question. Acidic sweat?
    Allegedly.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/see-rory-gallaghers-famous-stratocaster-and-other-guitars-up-close

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    The last one is the relic and the owner of the first one wants to give it a good clean, the dirty get! ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483
    Danny1969 said:

I was looking at an SRV relic the other day and wondering what the guy did to make it look like that. I mean I've got guitars that have done thousands of gigs ... my old Ibanez RD did 520 gigs just on Monday nights alone between 88 and 98 let alone the 2000 odd gigs on Thurs, Frid, Sat and Sundays. It was never in a hard case, just a basic soft case and it lived mainly in the band van regardless of the weather and yet other than fading and a few chips off the paint it's in good nick. 
    I honestly think some famous people deliberately distress their guitars which is kind of uncool 
    Both are poly right?
    I don't know to be honest, the Ibanez started off white around the edges but that now looks like a yellow more than a white
    The Tokia has the paint worn where your arm brushes over it and some chips on the edges where it's knocked against things

What I don't understand is lumps of paint missing from the middle if the body, cos nothing tends to touch the middle in normal playing 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    miserneil said:
    The last one is the relic and the owner of the first one wants to give it a good clean, the dirty get! ;)
    Yep, a few have got it right!...

daphne blue is my bitsa put together nearly 20 years ago, started out pristine and ended up like that... (it had a refin last year and looks nice and clean now)... sunburst is my pals 63, not bad looking for nearly 60 years old... the last one (blonde) was put together at the start of this year for the making and modding challenge...

All show different wear... only one is “vintage”... only one is “relic/aged”... and yes, I have left a gig before with a blue arm!!!!!

Danny1969 said:

What I don't understand is lumps of paint missing from the middle if the body, cos nothing tends to touch the middle in normal playing 

In my case it’s genuinly bad technique I guess, playing hard with the guitar quite low slung... pick hits the body - paint eventually comes off...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ... The thing I do like about the heavier relics is the finish worn off the back of the neck.
    Agree with this.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 789
    poopot said:
    Just out of curiosity... what do folk consider to be “accurate wear” on a guitar?...

so which is the “relic”?
    Irrelevant, they both look pants.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited June 2018
    From my experience, I would suggest that a lot of relics including the more 'famous' ones are the result of bored band members sitting waiting around and absent mindedly picking at the paint on their guitars, which to them are just tools
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    gordiji said:
    poopot said:

so which is the “relic”?
    Irrelevant, they both look pants.
    Why do they look pants it's just a finish.

I don't like sunburst finishes but I don't go telling everyone I see the colour looks shit.

I honestly fail to see why they need to look perfectly authentic.

You would end up with every relic guitar looking identical and then you would be saying it's ridiculous because every guitar wouldn't look the same.

I like relic finishes, I like unreliced.

Also I don't see anything really wrong with the @lonestar Tele bar one thing I've already discussed as at least its different and someone will love it and enjoy playing it so surely that's all matters.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Both are poly right?
    I don't know to be honest, the Ibanez started off white around the edges but that now looks like a yellow more than a white
    The Tokia has the paint worn where your arm brushes over it and some chips on the edges where it's knocked against things

Took some pictures this morning ... ignore the badly installed single coils, I needed a backup guitar with single coils recently so bodged these in ... the original active humbuckers will go back in soon. I imagine this must be poly as the paint seems hardy as hell, this guitar has done thousands of gigs and look at it, hardly any paint missing. 
    The chip of the neck and some of the body marks was actually caused by a smash and grab in Nevada Music in 85, hence the guitar got knocked down from £600 odd to £350 

The main paint was originally white though :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    You know what’s great fun about this customising malarkey? Actually, more about being your own boss I guess.... you can take a test body and rework it as a tribute to a guitar owned by a famous musician...

https://i.imgur.com/vtcetod.jpg

Note how I didn’t say “replica”. So... there you go. Now, I’m off to ask Dave what grade of sand paper shirt he wore to achieve this finish and tell him that no one likes heavy relic guitars (apparently) :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:

Now, I’m off to ask Dave what grade of sand paper shirt he wore to achieve this finish and tell him that no one likes heavy relic guitars (apparently) :)
    But... Dave Mustaine Plays a V shaped Dean... :)
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    lonestar said:

Now, I’m off to ask Dave what grade of sand paper shirt he wore to achieve this finish and tell him that no one likes heavy relic guitars (apparently) :)
    But... Dave Mustaine Plays a V shaped Dean... :)
    What about Mr Gilmour? ;) Besides, give me an hour and I’ll make a V out of that body no bother 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16818
    i was thinking about this and realised the first time i reliced any hardware, it was all about the style and nothing to do with authenticity at all.   This one was about 11 years ago, not the best pic of the hardware

then more recently there is something like this, which is also a totally unrealistic heavy relic - but i was really happy with the overall look

That got me thinking about the guitar i like at the mo and top of the list is probably Novo guitars.  You get mostly authentic wear on unusal woods and shapes, often with unrealistically sunken grain too... but they look great.  A good mix of vintage and modern
    https://www.instagram.com/novoguitars/?hl=en

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I know this has been done a million times before, and I know I have voiced my opinion an equal amount of times, however I'll say it again because I'm a gobby twat!

I like relicing, but I don't think I'd buy one. I'd like to have a go myself but it would be a project for fun, not to achieve or prove anything to anyone.

I am confused at what @lonestar says when relicing is not to replicate authentic wear. I am not having a pop, it is just something I don't, at present understand. I can understand wanting to replicate wear and tear in a realistic way but not random wear. I am open minded to understand why it is done though, so any explanations will be listened to.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    SNAKEBITE said:

I am confused at what @lonestar says when relicing is not to replicate authentic wear. I am not having a pop, it is just something I don't, at present understand. I can understand wanting to replicate wear and tear in a realistic way but not random wear. I am open minded to understand why it is done though, so any explanations will be listened to.

It's just a look, a vibe. Most people who play relic guitars aren't actually interested in accuracy to the nth degree of perfection. They don't all get a slide rule out to check it! 

As far as I'm concerned, if I think an aged finish 'looks' cool then I'm OK with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @SNAKEBITE  go and ask Dale Wilson to explain himself first, then I’ll answer :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16818
    axisus said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

It's just a look, a vibe. Most people who play relic guitars aren't actually interested in accuracy to the nth degree of perfection. They don't all get a slide rule out to check it! 

As far as I'm concerned, if I think an aged finish 'looks' cool then I'm OK with it. 
    Yes, this

did you have a link to the one in your OP?  I am really curious how it looks from different angles 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    SNAKEBITE said:

I honestly just see relic as a different finish.

No different to choosing between Red and Blue finish to choosing Red or Red Relic.

Same as paintings can be abstract or realistic as far as I'm concerned relics can be semi realistic or what ever looks cool.

I honestly can't understand the hang up on it being realistic it's no less "fake".

Plus you have half the threads on this board which take the piss out of Gibson for pushing closest to whatever year with regards to parts and the rest complaining that relics aren't authentic.

What do we want guitars that play well in what ever finish and construction or just slavish copies of what was built 50 years ago with appropriate wear.
This discussion has been closed.