Can you put a tele neck on a strat (or vice versa)?

What's Hot
I've got some pickups I bought on here a long time ago, that never made it into the guitar they were intended for - I've been vaguely thinking about getting a body and neck and hardware and cobbling something together, and I was wondering if I got a body that used to have a Strat neck on and a Tele neck (or the other way round), would it work or would I have stupid intonation problems? Or other stupid problems? 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2639
    (Now I search again, I see that essentially the same question was asked on April 1. Sorry, chaps, I'll be over here hanging my head in shame.)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    If we couldn't ask the same question twice on here, this place would be Tumbleweed City in a day or two! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like OP is sorted, but in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread looking for the answer, it's no.

A Tele neck has a square heel whereas a Strat neck has a more rounded heel:

https://goo.gl/images/6edpqt
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    You can stick a J neck on a P body though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2955
    Deke Leonard had a strat neck on his bullseye telecaster. In his own words:

"..it did once have a strat neck because when I was with The Corncrackers In the early 1960s the Tele and myself were electrocuted and the strings fused/melted into the neck (along with my hands). At the time I could only find a Strat neck to replace it. Then later, I managed to get a Tele neck refitted. We came through a lot, the two of us."

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    You can put a Strat neck on a Tele, you just end up with little “teardrop” shaped gaps either side because of the rounded heel in a square pocket. If you use a 22 fret neck with the 22nd fret on the overhang that covers up the gap.
    The one that doesn’t work without modification is a Tele neck in a Strat pocket,And in fact I’ve recently seen a couple of Strat bodies where they haven’t routed the back of the pocket to match the curve of the heel, they’ve over-routed it with a really big diameter bit with only the pick guard on top defining where the neck actually sits