Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss GT-1000

What's Hot

Comments

• @kennedydream1980 ;

If it is possible, I would love to know what the tap tempo performs like on the GT-1000. I'm very curious about whether it introduces weird pitch-shifting squirrel noises whilst tapping in the tempo as you play at the same time. The GT-100 did this, and I'm hoping they fixed it with the 1000.
    I’ll try it out later today and let you know.
    I can confirm there are no weird noises happening whilst tapping in the delay tempo whilst playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very cool. Cheers! Might pick one up in the future as a simple practice board I can leave at... er.. the practice room.

Bye!

• @kennedydream1980 ;

If it is possible, I would love to know what the tap tempo performs like on the GT-1000. I'm very curious about whether it introduces weird pitch-shifting squirrel noises whilst tapping in the tempo as you play at the same time. The GT-100 did this, and I'm hoping they fixed it with the 1000.
    On the GT-10 it only did the ray gun thing on the tape and analog models....but they also sounded the best :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • The global EQ on the GT-1000 is a parametric, why is it not a graphic EQ?  Is one better than the other in this role?

I bet @WiresDreamDisasters is going to be all over this.
  • The global EQ on the GT-1000 is a parametric, why is it not a graphic EQ?  Is one better than the other in this role?

I bet @WiresDreamDisasters is going to be all over this.
    Parametric offers you a better degree of control, but slightly at the expense of speed. Each band on a parametric can be adjusted individually in terms of gain boost, Q factor, and sometimes (but not always) the type of band (bell, shelf, high or low-pass, etc)

I've actually not tried a GT-1000 but it sounds like they've fixed the "I can never use this" issue with the GT-100 that I had. So my beard is a bit strokey. But also, I definitely want to get a Kemper Stage at some point... so.... it's a question of money.

Bye!

• As well as the global parametric EQ there are four individual EQ blocks for every patch, all positionable at any point in the patch. This is aside from the individual EQ controls on every effect block and the amp models (which have bass, middle, treble, resonance and...something else I've forgotten).
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    It really is a great feeling unit to play, and the dynamics are excellent. Jump to 8:20 on this video which is using the "Premium Drive" patch

That premium drive patch sounds killer 
    Weird how we're all different, I listened to/watched that video and thought that sound was terrible.  If I was in the market for an fx unit that vid would put me off the Boss.
  • So did my first gig with the GT-1000 on Saturday just gone. I play direct to the mixer and monitor via IEM's, there are no cabs on stage.

The presets I dialed in at home translated really well. We had a bit of time at soundcheck for once, so the singer in my band (who just happens to be a killer guitar player) soundchecked my guitar while I stood out front and mixed the band.

What I can say is the AIRD tech that Boss have implemented is no gimmick. From a playing point of view you can really feel it under the fingers. Plus because the cab is interacting with the amp in both directions as a real valve amp would I didn't have to use as much gain as I have done in the past with other modelers. Normally I would be dialing the gain up just to get the sustain I needed. Plus I would only get feedback on bigger gigs where the PA was up louder.

With the Boss there is tons of sustain there and the guitar was naturally drifting into nice feedback on my lead sound, and we weren't even that loud as it was a small room. So the interaction between the amp and speaker is all happening within the unit itself, I'm not sure how they have done it but it really works.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So did my first gig with the GT-1000 on Saturday just gone. I play direct to the mixer and monitor via IEM's, there are no cabs on stage.

The presets I dialed in at home translated really well. We had a bit of time at soundcheck for once, so the singer in my band (who just happens to be a killer guitar player) soundchecked my guitar while I stood out front and mixed the band.

What I can say is the AIRD tech that Boss have implemented is no gimmick. From a playing point of view you can really feel it under the fingers. Plus because the cab is interacting with the amp in both directions as a real valve amp would I didn't have to use as much gain as I have done in the past with other modelers. Normally I would be dialing the gain up just to get the sustain I needed. Plus I would only get feedback on bigger gigs where the PA was up louder.

With the Boss there is tons of sustain there and the guitar was naturally drifting into nice feedback on my lead sound, and we weren't even that loud as it was a small room. So the interaction between the amp and speaker is all happening within the unit itself, I'm not sure how they have done it but it really works.
    Have you tried other modellers, out of interest?

Have you tried other modellers, out of interest?
    Yes I previously owned a Fractal AX8, before that a Helix, and before that an Atomic Amplifire 12.
  • And you prefer the Boss? This is flying in the face of public opinion  =) As far as I can tell, the Boss has been all but written off as “a bit shit”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And you prefer the Boss? This is flying in the face of public opinion  =) As far as I can tell, the Boss has been all but written off as “a bit shit”
    I’ve said before they all have strengths and weaknesses. But they can all be dialled in to sound as good as each other. I’ve gotten great sounds out of all of them, the Boss being no exception. It comes down to how well you get on with the UI and which you prefer for your way of working.
  • People complain about the UI of the Boss...what’s wrong with it?
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited October 2019
    People complain about the UI of the Boss...what’s wrong with it?
    If you have used boss products from the GT line before I guess you will be used to it. It’s just unique in the way it works regarding the effects chain. The others are fairly similar.

On the Helix, Fractal and Atomic you start with a blank canvas and add in the effects blocks you need.

With the Boss every effects block is displayed in the chain and you have to move them around into the order you want. So even un-used blocks remain in the chain.

DSP wise I found I would run out of space on all but the boss for what I needed. So I had to compromise and work round it. The boss will never run out of DSP it’s insanely powerful. Switching is seamless on the Boss. It’s fairly quick on the others but there are audible gaps even when using scenes/snapshots.

For me with regards to programming on the unit themselves the Fractal was by far the worst. In fact I never got my head around it. The PC/Mac editor is essential for the Fractal. The Atomic was similar.

The Helix and boss are the easiest to program in that regard. However I still preferred using the PC/Mac editors for all of them. All of the editors are excellent and well laid out. 
  • I know the Helix is generally regarded as the most user friendly UI but I found it quite frustrating mainly because of the features that are meant to make it easier - the touch sensitive footswitches and the joy stick knob..I was constantly touching the footswitches by mistake or turning the knob instead of pushing it. I kept losing my edits. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    How are you guys all getting on with your GT-1000, then?

Out of nowhere I find myself really wanting one. Main use would be to replace a pedalboard going into my Princeton Reverb but I would also use the amp sims for headphone practice. 

I've previously owned a HX Stomp and I still own Helix Native. I like(d) them both but I've always struggled a bit to get a tone I truly love whereas the Boss GT001 I picked up last week sounds good straight out the box, so I'm very tempted by a bigger Boss unit.

Any thoughts? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17615
    tFB Trader
    Still really like mine.

Delays and reverbs are very good and better than the Helix I had
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Still really like mine.

Delays and reverbs are very good and better than the Helix I had
    Do you use it into an amp or are you 100% GT-1000? 

The "output" selection doesn't seem to have anything that would match up to a PRRI, so I'm intrigued as to how that would work in reality. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17615
    tFB Trader
    I use it into monitors and headphones using amp sims and 4 cabled into a DSL. I think the mode is more relevant if you want to use amp sims into an existing amp.
  • bobeffectbobeffect Frets: 57
    I've used mine with a 65PRRI and a Victory V40. I set the output to recording and turn off the cab sim. Sounds good to me. I'm sticking with my Helix floor and an old HXFX as a backup as all my gigging patches are written for Helix. Will be moving the GT1000 on as it's not getting enough use to justify keeping. Pm me if you'd be interested in an immaculate 2nd hand Gt1000. Will be going up in the classified section in the next couple of weeks.