Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss GT-1000

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited June 2021

How are you guys all getting on with your GT-1000, then?

Out of nowhere I find myself really wanting one. Main use would be to replace a pedalboard going into my Princeton Reverb but I would also use the amp sims for headphone practice. 

I've previously owned a HX Stomp and I still own Helix Native. I like(d) them both but I've always struggled a bit to get a tone I truly love whereas the Boss GT001 I picked up last week sounds good straight out the box, so I'm very tempted by a bigger Boss unit.

Any thoughts? 

I'm very happy with my Core.

Been using it on it's own whilst I was moving house and was, well, genuinely suprised in comparison to my physical amps. I'd only bought it for wet FX.

I did a thread on it, so suprised Was I.

I'm sure it would carry over to the the full size GT1000

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I still use my full-fat GT-1000. We're back rehearsing again and over lockdown I redid a lot of patches and reorganised some of the workflow for patches. I've configured it so the XLR goes to the PA with cab and mic sim and the 3/4" jack feeds the FX return of whatever amp I'm given and that has cab and sim turned off. I can even do both if I want to use an amp on stage as well as feeding the PA.

Rehearsing again just reminded me how good the unit is...the amps are just excellent and very dynamic. I actually prefer the BOSS amps rather than their variations of Fender/Vox/Marshall etc. I've picked the MAXIMUM amp for songs that would need a Marshall-type sound and it sounds fantastic.

You have to get your head around the BOSS workflow and learn how to use the ASSIGN feature to get the best out of it, but I honestly haven't opened my pedalboard flightcase for nearly two years now. I probably need to start moving some of those pedals on, because I can't see me needing any of them with what I can get out of the GTK.
  • Typical Boss. Everyone thought the GT-1000 was end of life with no more firmware updates. Then out of the blue, Boss drop an update with some MAJOR changes.
    • MASTERING FX," which demonstrates potential for line output, has been added to FX TYPE.
    • Eleven types of settings that combine multiple effects such as multi-band compressor, limiter, enhancer, and equalizer have been provided as TYPE settings. Full-fledged mastering to boost the acoustic pressure of the sound and make sound contours more distinct can now be carried out.
      The GT-1000 is a processor distinguished by a vivid amp sound, but the addition of these effects makes it easy obtain a line sound having adaptable fighting potential even in recording that demands precise adjustment.
      We recommend using these with placement after an SP.SIMULATOR.
    • Ten types of SP TYPE settings designed based on IR data having a realistic presence have been added to the SP.SIMULATOR parameters.
    • Ribbon mic and blended dynamic/ribbon mic MIC TYPE settings have been added to the SP.SIMULATOR parameters.
    • Five types of BOSS and Roland delays have been added to the MASTER DELAY parameter.
    • The DD-8's acclaimed WARM and GLITCH settings, the vintage digital SDE-3000, and the still-popular STANDARD and ANALOG parameters featured on the DD-20 have been added.
    • The optional EV-1-WL wireless expression pedal is now supported.
    In summary...major changes so that IRs are properly supported and MIC types improved and new delays.

Nice.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    "adaptable fighting potential" I'M IN
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Typical Boss. Everyone thought the GT-1000 was end of life with no more firmware updates. Then out of the blue, Boss drop an update with some MAJOR changes.
    • MASTERING FX," which demonstrates potential for line output, has been added to FX TYPE.
    • Eleven types of settings that combine multiple effects such as multi-band compressor, limiter, enhancer, and equalizer have been provided as TYPE settings. Full-fledged mastering to boost the acoustic pressure of the sound and make sound contours more distinct can now be carried out.
      The GT-1000 is a processor distinguished by a vivid amp sound, but the addition of these effects makes it easy obtain a line sound having adaptable fighting potential even in recording that demands precise adjustment.
      We recommend using these with placement after an SP.SIMULATOR.
    • Ten types of SP TYPE settings designed based on IR data having a realistic presence have been added to the SP.SIMULATOR parameters.
    • Ribbon mic and blended dynamic/ribbon mic MIC TYPE settings have been added to the SP.SIMULATOR parameters.
    • Five types of BOSS and Roland delays have been added to the MASTER DELAY parameter.
    • The DD-8's acclaimed WARM and GLITCH settings, the vintage digital SDE-3000, and the still-popular STANDARD and ANALOG parameters featured on the DD-20 have been added.
    • The optional EV-1-WL wireless expression pedal is now supported.
    In summary...major changes so that IRs are properly supported and MIC types improved and new delays.

Nice.

They are some Major changes and quite unexpected, but nothing useful to me personally.

I always hoped for an extra reverb and couple more dividers, something I'd happily sacrifice some of the 4 extra delays for.

I'd rather have 2 master delays that you could select some of the classic delays from. Dual SDEs anyone?

But my usage is different than most so.
  • Just sold mine. Fizzy and tinny.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Just sold mine. Fizzy and tinny.

I'd suggest you probably haven't got the hang of it then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Just sold mine. Fizzy and tinny.

I'd suggest you probably haven't got the hang of it then.
    Or there may be something wrong with the unit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I’ve been playing with the Mastering fx on my Core today, and they sound great. Two problems though
    • They are a setting within the FX blocks, rather than a dedicated block of their own, and many of my patches don’t have a spare slot available 
    • They’ve chosen not to support the Stompbox feature with these, giving you no way of replicating a mastering setting across multiple patches. Hence any tweak will require a manual edit on every patch to get consistency (the same issue is true for the speaker sim settings, which annoys the tips off me)
    However, the sound and flexibility of the GT1K is soooo good I’ll keep using mine for a long time I think. I’m encouraged by this update - maybe there’ll be more improvements in the pipeline at some point…

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • And you prefer the Boss? This is flying in the face of public opinion  =) As far as I can tell, the Boss has been all but written off as “a bit shit”
    I agree mine sounded tinny and fizzy as i said there was nothing wrong with it and i had the hang of it its just crap and the interface is woeful.