Anybody ever complained over a broken string?

What's Hot
Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
Just wondering, was restringing last night and snapped the top E before I'd even finished tuning it.
Almost certainly the string's fault. (An Ernie Ball .010)
Anybody ever bothered to complain about it - and more importantly - got free stuff out of it?
:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited June 2018
    Nope - but I tend to buy Rotasound to protect myself from the above. The extra high e string is useful.

I doibt you’d be able to put forward a compelling argument to any manufacturer to replace one that snaps during installation. Shrug it off.

I’m not sure many here rate Rotasound strings though...but I’d recommend them.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    No.

Although when I ran a shop a woman came in to demand her money back on a secondhand acoustic guitar she'd bought 18 months earlier because a string had broken. The only free thing she got was advice.

TBH, you are more likely to fly to the moon propelled by your own bottom gas than be able to prove that it was genuinely the string. I'd suggest checking the guitar where it broke to ensure there are no burrs - it doesn't take much.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7349
    Yes, snapped a daddario while I was stretching it in. They sent me a whole new pack out.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Yep when same diaddario snapped in quick succession in 3 packs in a row.  They only sent me replacements for ones i had barcode on plastic inner packing for which tbh i though was stingy but always keep that from current set i have on now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    impmann said:

TBH, you are more likely to fly to the moon propelled by your own bottom gas than be able to prove that it was genuinely the string. 
    Interestingly it’s lack of mass that makes farting your way to the moon so difficult - it would take 300,000 years apparently.

However, pissing has far more mass, and apparently would take a lot less time to propel you along to the moon. 

Oh, apart from the “getting into orbit in the first place” thing....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    I had a Bottom E String break whilst restringing a guitar. Got another packet of strings out, and exactly the same thing happened. I made a complaint / suggested that a batch of strings could be defective, but got nothing in return.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Just wondering, was restringing last night and snapped the top E before I'd even finished tuning it.
    Almost certainly the string's fault. (An Ernie Ball .010)
    Anybody ever bothered to complain about it - and more importantly - got free stuff out of it?
    :)
    Switch to a better brand of string
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731

Anybody ever bothered to complain ...
    Yep. Years ago there was a thread on the Parker forum because some batches of D’Addario 10s were breaking at the ball end. It seemed to be caused by a combination of the weld strength, and the shape of the string hole through the Fly bridge casting, which put pressure on the string. Other guitars didn’t suffer. I guess they changed the manufacturing tolerance because the problem went away.

On another occasion I complained that they weren’t selling multi packs with 11s. The rep offered to send me some free sets of 11-49s from the US. I was using 11-52s at the time, and turned him down.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    impmann said:
    No.

Although when I ran a shop a woman came in to demand her money back on a secondhand acoustic guitar she'd bought 18 months earlier because a string had broken. The only free thing she got was advice.

TBH, you are more likely to fly to the moon propelled by your own bottom gas than be able to prove that it was genuinely the string. I'd suggest checking the guitar where it broke to ensure there are no burrs - it doesn't take much.
    did it begin and end with 'f'?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    impmann said:
    No.

did it begin and end with 'f'?
    No, I'm too polite for that. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Iamnobody said:
    Nope - but I tend to buy Rotasound to protect myself from the above. The extra high e string is useful.

I doibt you’d be able to put forward a compelling argument to any manufacturer to replace one that snaps during installation. Shrug it off.

I always use Rotosounds (yellows). Never had any problem with them and all my electrics are set up for them. I rate them highly and wouldn’t use any other make.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    DefaultM said:
    Yes, snapped a daddario while I was stretching it in. They sent me a whole new pack out.
    I believe that’s their default position....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    Iamnobody said:

Yup - I settled on Rotosounds in the 80s, after having used Ernie Ball for a while. Since then I've occasionally used other strings, and obviously do when I get a new guitar - they never seem to last as long, and often turn my fingertips black. Always glad to get some Rotosounds on. :) I rarely break strings, and had built up quite a collection of high 'e's - until a faulty locking Grover ate them (replaced FOC by Grover)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    DefaultM said:
    Same here, done it a few times over the years and just gave them batch codes from packaging.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Bigsby said:
    Iamnobody said:

Yup - I settled on Rotosounds in the 80s, after having used Ernie Ball for a while. Since then I've occasionally used other strings, and obviously do when I get a new guitar - they never seem to last as long, and often turn my fingertips black. Always glad to get some Rotosounds on. :) I rarely break strings, and had built up quite a collection of high 'e's - until a faulty locking Grover ate them (replaced FOC by Grover)
    I stopped using Rotosounds recently after a 6 month stint back on them - ironically one of the reasons was because I had so many spare E strings lying about because I hardly ever break Es.
    It's more of an annoying packaging thing though, I hate the strings all wrapped in pairs when I need to pull one out and change it in a hurry at a gig.

I'm not that bothered, it isn't the first time its happened to me (it is with an EB though) I just wondered if I could get me some free stuff. Ernies have the middle ground of not costing too much/not breaking too often/not being stupidly packaged/sounding pretty good that I like.
    I was exclusively using newtones for a few years, but once they started costing twice as much, the difference was economically unviable for a sweaty-string-snapping git like myself.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2398
    Wouldn't want EB's even if they were free!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    I had a couple of Thomastik high E strings come off the ball end restringing a Bigbsy-equipped guitar and Strings Direct replaced them.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    and yes, then I got rid of the guitar with the Bigsby
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited June 2018
    Yes. I treated myself to a set of Optima Gold once from Strings Direct and they were so amazing I ordered another set a year later (that's how long they lasted). The high E broke when stringing up - I can't remember if it was the ball end or what - and I sent it back. They sent out another single high E.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    Bought a 10 pack of EB's from thomann to up the price of an order for free delivery and over the next 2 years found all the g b e strings had a bit of rust here and there. The nasty plastic sealed for freshness wrappers too ! I kept thinking the next set will be fine until i'd used all 10 ! Worse still i was too apethetic to do anything knowing thomann would have sorted something out.